Page 5 of 256 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime talk

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    And HERE is a full list of what I've watched, and what I'm watching.
    You gave up on Tsubasa Chronicle after only four episodes???

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Meats Five View Post
    I've seen way too many to list here. I'll keep it short.

Old favorites:
    Evangelion
    Escaflowne
    Cowboy Bebop
    Gatchaman
    Cardcaptor Sakura

Recent favorites:
    Noranagi
    Nagi no Asakura
    Log Horizon
    Accel World
    Tonari no Seki-kun
    My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
    Big Escaflowne fan here. Cool to see it get a nod.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

What can I say? Tsubasa failed to hold my interest, and I never experienced that with a CLAMP show. And, for whatever it's worth, I couldn't wrap my mind around the concept of Sakura and Syaoran as full blown, hormone driven teenagers.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Guyver needs a comeback i miss it

thats a good sample size. If an anime hasn't grabbed you by 1 or two episodes than move on imo.
    The J-man

I post via my phone a lot, therefore I make the occasional grammatical error. Not an excuse just forewarning you. Feel free to call me out I won't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    thats a good sample size. If an anime hasn't grabbed you by 1 or two episodes than move on imo.
    Quite true. More often than not, I was sold on a show after one or two episodes if I liked the plot or the characters. I remember being turned off on Miami Guns halfway through the first episode and quickly dropped the show after it finished, it was that revolting. Way back in the day when Newtype USA was being published, they had the enclosed free DVD with sample episodes of ADV shows, and a boatload of series in my collection were a result of watching those freebie discs.

My trial period is 3 episodes, just as with comic books it's 3 issues for me. The first 2 episodes of an anime series may well be the show setting up its premise and finding its footing. For me, it's usually the third episode that defines the further tone/direction of the show, at least on the short term.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

What can I say? Tsubasa failed to hold my interest, and I never experienced that with a CLAMP show. And, for whatever it's worth, I couldn't wrap my mind around the concept of Sakura and Syaoran as full blown, hormone driven teenagers.
    Fair enough. I was a big fan of Tsubasa back then, but it (and xxxHOLiC) were very flawed productions.

So uh is the manga discussion thread, can't seem to find a general manga one

Fair enough. I was a big fan of Tsubasa back then, but it (and xxxHOLiC) were very flawed productions.
    Ironically enough, Angelic Layer was my second favorite CLAMP show behind only Cardcaptor Sakura and a tad ahead of Magic Knight Rayearth. The concept of teens using foot high, mind controlled dolls in futuristic, MMA-like battles fascinated me in ways I couldn't describe. To me, that was just a cool show.

Personally, I give things 1 ep.

If I feel there is something there, I'll stick with it for seven eps. at least. If not, well, no.

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    So uh is the manga discussion thread, can't seem to find a general manga one
    Here:

http://community.comicbookresources....953-Manga-Talk
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    My trial period is 3 episodes, just as with comic books it's 3 issues for me. The first 2 episodes of an anime series may well be the show setting up its premise and finding its footing. For me, it's usually the third episode that defines the further tone/direction of the show, at least on the short term.
    How about DBZ, where it takes them more then 3 episodes to get through a 5 minute fight .

On that note the one thing I hated about DBZ's effect on anime, specifically the fighting genre, is the ridiculously long time it takes for the plot to move. For me personally it ruins the quality of a show that most likely should be condensed in half and have a faster, more fulfilling pace.
    Last edited by danmar85; 05-05-2014 at 07:15 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    How about DBZ, where it takes them more then 3 episodes to get through a 5 minute fight .

On that note the one thing I hated about DBZ's effect on anime, specifically the fighting genre, is the ridiculously long time it takes for the plot to move. For me personally it ruins the quality of a show that most likely should be condensed in half and have a faster, more fulfilling pace.
    you mean like they did with DBZ Kai?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    you mean like they did with DBZ Kai?
    For the most part yes, but the pacing in general is some LONG running series annoys me. eg. Bleach.

Ironically enough, Angelic Layer was my second favorite CLAMP show behind only Cardcaptor Sakura and a tad ahead of Magic Knight Rayearth. The concept of teens using foot high, mind controlled dolls in futuristic, MMA-like battles fascinated me in ways I couldn't describe. To me, that was just a cool show.
    Angelic Layer was the rare anime I thought was actually better than the manga. It added an emotional component that was lacking in print.

Back from the dead! Radioactive Zombie's Avatar

Literally the only current anime I'm doing is KLK, and I'm far behind after it's over - only two episodes in. I'm trying to catch up on TTGL and watch the Gunsmith Cats OVA in-between sessions of Dr. Who.