Page 6 of 256 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime talk

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    What can I say? Tsubasa failed to hold my interest, and I never experienced that with a CLAMP show. And, for whatever it's worth, I couldn't wrap my mind around the concept of Sakura and Syaoran as full blown, hormone driven teenagers.
    Tsubasa heavily deveated from the manga which was off putting much like the anime X

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    How about DBZ, where it takes them more then 3 episodes to get through a 5 minute fight .

On that note the one thing I hated about DBZ's effect on anime, specifically the fighting genre, is the ridiculously long time it takes for the plot to move. For me personally it ruins the quality of a show that most likely should be condensed in half and have a faster, more fulfilling pace.
    DBZ? UGH! Once upon a time when Cartoon Network ran their original Toonami afternoon anime block of shows, I gave DBZ a week long tryout out of curiosity. That tryout lasted just three days before I gave up. Lord have mercy, what a mess that show is, all fighting and yelling and destruction and yelling and general chaos and yelling. I mean, I could actually feel my IQ drop several points while watching that junk. The Yellow Pages has more of a plot than DBZ!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

If by DBZ you mean Dragon Ball Z then yes, from the little I've seen it takes forever for things to happen. I do not understand how it became so popular before?

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    Tsubasa heavily deveated from the manga which was off putting much like the anime X
    I'm generally disappointed with the X anime... but at least they got the Subaru/Seishirou showdown right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    If by DBZ you mean Dragon Ball Z then yes, from the little I've seen it takes forever for things to happen. I do not understand how it became so popular before?
    It's the first. For many people it was their first anime that was recognizable as anime.

It also helps that it doesn't put on airs. It doesn't try to be more than what it is. You go for the fights and you're going to get fights.

The anime kind of messes up with the ridiculously long time it takes to do things. I much prefer the manga's brisk pace. Everything from Goku meeting Bulma to flying away with Uub in 41 volumes.
    Last edited by Hazard; 05-06-2014 at 09:11 AM.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Meats Five View Post
    I'm generally disappointed with the X anime... but at least they got the Subaru/Seishirou showdown right.
    I'm kind of glad the manga for X won't finish, and that any adaptations will deviate. It enhances the absurdity of "fate" in the story for me.

The movie is amazingly good as a fugue of emotions and visuals.

I honestly didn't mind Dragon Ball Z when it first aired here in the Netherlands, despite its slow pacing. That was part of its appeal at the time. It was like a soap opera, but animated and with violence. That's how I watched it, at any rate. Every weekend, there'd be the 'Dragon Ball Z Rewind', and they'd air all 5 episodes of the week one after another.

I must admit that, the first time I heard my friends at school talk about Dragon Ball Z, and I had not yet gotten into it, I got very curious, watched the Rewind, and... didn't understand the fuss. Byt the third episode I saw (it was Goku vs. Nappa) I thought 'Man, they've been at it for an hour and a half and the fight still hasn't concluded?' Then, as I went along, I kind of got used to it and decided I wanted to know how the story continued, and I stuck with it until GT. Sure, it would happen often that I'd just have Dragon Ball Z on, and went to do other things, only to look up if some plot twist presented itself. Some episodes really were just characters powering up for 22 minutes, or beating the snot out of each other, or transforming. Guess it's kind of an acquired taste that way.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Berserk is my all time favorite anime and manga, though I still need to buy the 3 movie re-treads of the "Golden Age."

I also really enjoy most of the Miyazaki features, but beyond that, I always have trouble finding "new" Anime that I enjoy. I was watching Space Dandy, when it was Adult Swim, but I was expecting more from it. I'm currently watching Black Lagoon, but it also hasn't really engaged me, so far.

Some older favorites:

Ghost in the Shell
    Ninja Scroll
    Macross Plus
    Dangaio
    Vampire Hunter D
    ('85, Bloodlust is okay, but I prefer the old one)
    Golgo 13 (Professional, but Queen Bee is "watchable")
    Riding Bean
    Redline

Astonishing Member

I for one love DBZ

Spectacular Member Nightstar1441's Avatar

Big Miyazaki fan but I've enjoyed a lot of the series as well.

I like Bleach even though it tends to follow a DBZ setting - I do feel the characters a bit better fleshed out a bit.

I've also enjoyed Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (the original was ok but Brotherhood is so much better), Morobito, Mushishi, Code Gaess, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Beebop, Wolf's Rain, The Twelve Kingdoms and I'm looking forward to Attack on Titan as I've heard it's really good.

I also wish they would finish Deadman Wonderland as that was starting to become interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I'm kind of glad the manga for X won't finish, and that any adaptations will deviate. It enhances the absurdity of "fate" in the story for me.

The movie is amazingly good as a fugue of emotions and visuals.
    There are also a couple songs on the TV soundtrack I like to loop (the opening theme and "Destiny").

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Over the last couple of years, I've been streaming more anime, thanks to Hulu and Crunchyroll than watching same on those shiny little discs. And, in a way, that's a good thing since I've run out of room for DVD's on my media rack which is full to overflowing.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Over the last couple of years, I've been streaming more anime, thanks to Hulu and Crunchyroll than watching same on those shiny little discs. And, in a way, that's a good thing since I've run out of room for DVD's on my media rack which is full to overflowing.
    I still use the discs, still its DVD more than Bluray even now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    Is there something else known as DBZ?
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by CBR League Unlimited View Post
    Is there something else known as DBZ?
    Maybe there is not! I am just not used to anime acronyms