Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Not sure if you missed it but Ewing did already state they are adding a magic user to the team. Think your supernatural "fix" is and will still be taken care of.....
    unless it's Ghost rider (blaze or Ketch) which I would be geeked for I don't see any other supernatural heroes that would entice me to stay. I grew up during the rise of the midnight sons so blade was a selling point of this book. I'm gonna give it two issues since the only other marvel book (Thunderbolts) is canceled.

I hope it's doctor voodoo. They were really on the verge of something great there.

Anyway this news is fantastic. I love this book but if there's anything that maybe isn't so great it's that the art might not be exactly the best fit for it in the past so I'm glad they're switching artists. Everything about the new #1 looks great

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Sounds a good read, might pick it up in TPB.
    Marvel has only released one volume so far. I'm still waiting for volume two.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    anyone else think luke cage will be the one that leaves after the first storyline? since falcon's now captain america i can only imagine this team being constantly watched by Shield and that's something Luke Probably doesn't care for....seeing the team he brought together turn into some mascots for shield
    I believe Luke's leaving is highly unlikely. He came up with the concept of the Mighty Avengers. He sold his interest in the Gym Theater and renovated it to establish their headquarters. He marketed to the community a team for which every day interested and committed citizens would be a part. Anyone who knows Luke Cage's values know that he would not walk away from his baby.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cage32 View Post
    I believe Luke's leaving is highly unlikely. He came up with the concept of the Mighty Avengers. He sold his interest in the Gym Theater and renovated it to establish their headquarters. He marketed to the community a team for which every day interested and committed citizens would be a part. Anyone who knows Luke Cage's values know that he would not walk away from his baby.
    Agreed. I don't see Luke quitting ever.

Part of me wonders if any consideration was given to handing the shield and mantle of Captain America to Luke, instead of Sam. No, I don't think he would have accepted it, but Luke Cage as Captain America would have been interesting.

Fantastic Member

Luke seems to have been more financing the Mighty Avengers than really leading them, anyway. Seems like Monica has been doing most of the battlefield commanding.

But there's an easy storytelling hook behind it. Sam Wilson is the first modern age African American superhero. And yet, despite always saying he was a partner, not a sidekick in those early years, despite having his name on the cover, he's always come across as a secondary character. In like every way possible -- he's never been the guy to take control.

Now he's wearing the mantle of the guy who is the leader of the Marvel Universe. I could see Luke almost even forcing him to take command, because that's what he needs to be doing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    Luke seems to have been more financing the Mighty Avengers than really leading them, anyway. Seems like Monica has been doing most of the battlefield commanding.

But there's an easy storytelling hook behind it. Sam Wilson is the first modern age African American superhero. And yet, despite always saying he was a partner, not a sidekick in those early years, despite having his name on the cover, he's always come across as a secondary character. In like every way possible -- he's never been the guy to take control.

That is a very good observation. I agree with you that Luke would probably encourage Sam to take a position with the team more complex andommensurate with his new title. Monica will more than likely fill a second in command field leader role to Sam.

Now he's wearing the mantle of the guy who is the leader of the Marvel Universe. I could see Luke almost even forcing him to take command, because that's what he needs to be doing right now.
    That is a very good observation. I agree with you that Luke would probably encourage Sam to take a position with the team more commensurate with his new title. It is good for the community and good for Sam. In regard to Monica, I suspect she will be the field leader of the team in Sam's absence and second in command when he is there. I still see Luke being the moral anchor of the team.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cage32 View Post
    That is a very good observation. I agree with you that Luke would probably encourage Sam to take a position with the team more commensurate with his new title. It is good for the community and good for Sam. In regard to Monica, I suspect she will be the field leader of the team in Sam's absence and second in command when he is there. I still see Luke being the moral anchor of the team.
    Pretty much. I mean, I can see Monica doing the same thing, taking a step back to force Sam to take the leadership role. If this is Sam just taking the reins, that would be weird. It's not really in his personality, for the most part. But I can see his friends deciding for him that he needs to be the man that the times require he be.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I hope it's doctor voodoo. They were really on the verge of something great there.
    Agreed. His death was really dumb and he deserves a resurrection.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Man, I sure will miss Blade. Ewing has really done him justice so far. Love that we having been seeing his old school outfit in the flashbacks. Seems strange though. They get rid of Blade because the team is too big but Sam is getting a bigger role, they are adding a magic user AND Spidey is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

Disappointed they use Spider-Man instead of Anya. But Captain Falcon not written by Remender is good.
    Anya is cool and really would have been a great fit for the team. That said, I can't say I'm disappointed to see Spidey back.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    It's a shame about Blade, but it's still Ewing, there's no Land, and we might get an extra 10-15 issues starting over from #1 than if they'd continued on as just "Mighty". Over all a win (and Blade can still pop up at some point).
    Yeah, I think new #1 are a good way of fighting sales attrition. Hopefully it prolongs the life of the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Man I was all excited about this but then they had to add Sentry to this title. Wasn't Blue Marvel enough?

Whatever, I'm still giving it a run for Sam, I just hope those two won't be over kill on my nerves.

Edit: Looked at the pic again an realized it was a female
    (The long hair and the S on the Chest throw me off.)
    Must be She-Hulk! Now I'm all excited again.

Bring on Captain America and his Mighty Avengers!
    Lol. Sentry and Blue Marvel on the same team would just be unfair to villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Magic View Post
    Ha ha! Finally a team with a token white guy. It actually took me 4 or 5 issues of the current series to realize that most of the team was non-white. Ewing has done a smashing job of bringing together some great characters that just happen to be black/latino. And he's done it respectfully, not calling them the "Black Avengers" or "Street Avengers" or some other nonsense. So glad to have smart, witty, strong characters of color that aren't all, "I'm mad as hell so I'm going to wear a chain and be all grim and scowly."
    A.....token white guy? What is this strange place? He really has done a good job. He hasn't written a book about black/latino hero's but a book about hero's who happen to be black/latino.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post

Anyway this news is fantastic. I love this book but if there's anything that maybe isn't so great it's that the art might not be exactly the best fit for it in the past so I'm glad they're switching artists. Everything about the new #1 looks great
    Voodoo would be awesome! He would certainly be my choice but I guess it will be Kaluu.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post

Excellent point!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Centipede Damascus View Post
    Agreed. His death was really dumb and he deserves a resurrection.
    Come now we can count on one hand a minority actually got rezzed excluding the times a villain kills a whole bunch of heroes and we get a mass rez DBZ style.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Personally I was getting rather tired of the entire story seeming (to me at least) to revolve completely around Blade and Cage. I hope we get to see more of the other characters (namely Monica) this time around.

Likewise, I'm wondering if perhaps Marvel isn't setting Cage up in a new Defenders title to go along with the upcoming Netflix series, even though it's a ways off.

Spectacular Member

Oh hells yeah.

Best Avengers book not only continues, but a relaunch/sales boost to coincide with Captain Falcon AND that goddamned hack Land is gone forever?

This is the best

I've been waiting for Ewing to give us more of his Sam and if this is what it takes I am ready. Luke Ross on art as well? Hell yes.