Default Which version of Brainiac's origin do you like best?

Like it says. Do you prefer Brainiac as a robot, an alien, or a cosmic horror?

All of the above. The sweet part is they all work. Imo.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Like it says. Do you prefer Brainiac as a robot, an alien, or a cosmic horror?
    I thought "he" (it?) is a combination of all 3?

Yep, I'm with Francisco, I like them all. Ancient alien who became a cosmic horror, and also utilizes robot bodies from time to time.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

"Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

I like him as both an alien and a robot. I am not to big on him being a Cosmic Horror. I think he works best as a powerful robot or alien that goes around collecting cities/worlds that can be defeated with force.
    PLUS ULTRA!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

All three for me. I particularly liked Morrison's notion of Brainiac appearing on various worlds whenever AI is born.

Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The original AI from Colu, which later became much more mechanical and Gigeresque. Which I guess is a combination of all 3.

I've always been incredibly reluctant to budge from him being Vril Dox, maybe with cybernetic enhancements but a true DNA link to Vril Dox II and Brainiac 5.

The combo version works the best for me, minus any overt connection to being created on Krypton. I thought the version in Johns' Brainiac story was great.

Mighty Member

I'd prefer a simplified version of the Post-Crisis take where he was originally Vril Dox of Colu but lost his biological body and is now in a totally artificial one. He's a cosmic horror only in the sense that he has been attacking planets for a long time and has a reputation across known space.

Mighty Member

I've always had a fondness for the TAS version, where he's on Krypton and plays a role in discrediting Jor-El and letting the planet die. Of course, I wouldn't like him to BE Kryptonian in origin - rather I like the idea of Kryptonians developing an AI based on tech from an alien probe which is actually one of Brainiac's drones.

Of course, I think the best takes are those which allow for all the versions of Brainiac to co-exist.

I like the Johns Brainiac who is essentially all three.

Pre-coie Brainiac was described as a super-computer in humanoid form.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yep, I'm with Francisco, I like them all. Ancient alien who became a cosmic horror, and also utilizes robot bodies from time to time.
    I must concur. A combination of all three options work best when blended together.
    "You'll never learn to fly now 'til you're standing at the cliff."