Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Favorite alternate versions of Superman

I don’t mean former versions of Superman like the Golden Age Superman, or Pre-Crisis Superman or New 52 Superman. I mean versions of Superman that were never meant to be the mainline version of Superman like the Red Sun Superman, American Alien Superman or Kal-L of Earth-2 (who was not the Golden Age Superman, but rather a creation from the mid-1960s).

Mine is probably the Calvin Ellis President Superman that Morrison came up with. He's got so much potential. He's similar enough to the main Superman to be recognizable as Superman, but there are just enough small tweaks that make him different in really interesting ways.

Superman from Speeding Bullets will always be a favorite of mine (XD)

Last edited by K7P5V; 12-23-2021 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

If we're talking exclusively Elseworlds, maybe the Generations Superman. He was basically the SA Superman with some GA history thrown in. He also has a lot of untapped story potential that is going unused. Runner up would be Kingdom Come for the same reason. I think a lot of these alternate universe versions could get their own spinoff books and you could do a lot with them. What does the world look like after the end of the book? Are there any other rogue heroes out there that he takes on?
    Assassinate Putin!

Master Hero Vladimir

Superman: Earth One!

I liked Earth One. Though I know that puts me in the minority around here. Although one of the main reasons I liked it is the same reason I liked New 52; I felt he needed a fresh start. And his costume is one of the better ones. He's very much a stripped down Superman. I also really like the Earth One Batman. It's the best story since Year One.
    Assassinate Putin!

I know this will likely be unpopular but my favorite alternate Superman is Injustice Superman. I guess I'm an oddball as Superior Spider-Man is also my favorite alternate Spider-Man, and Goku Black is my favorite alternate Goku. I find the idea of a cherished paradigm being turned on its head endlessly fascinating.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Speeding Bullets' Superman will always be a favorite of mine.
    Attachment 73253
    This one for the idea that no matter where rocket lands, at the end he still becomes Superman.

Superman Earth One because it's the only version that made me feel like I'm reading Man of Steel'esque comic book series. It's a shame we might never see vol4.

Superman Secret Identity. It's basically a soft version of Marvel's Mister Miracle featuring Superman.

BANNED

It's taken me up to now to realise Speeding Bullets was written by one of the greatest Spider-Man 'scribes of all time

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think DeMatteis is very underrated in general and his Superman work in particular could use more nods, though it's not like he went into Elseworlds much.

It's hard for me to separate the story from the version of Superman. I guess Kal from the Dave Gibbons story, that samurai Superman, and the Dark Side Superman are some of my favorites. I also like the story arc of Dale Suderman.

Astonishing Member

Just prior to Crisis they had a few Imaginary Stories in the Superman titles. One dealt with a world where Superboy faced off with Lex around the end of high school. The battle ended with Superboy depowered. Pete and Lana managed to get comatose Superboy away so no one really knows what happened. Decades later Luthor returns and still powerless Clark Kent tries to find a way to confront Lex as Superman. The story implied that Clark's powers may not be gone but with Crisis coming we never get any more follow-up. Always wanted to see more of that.

And technically Busiek's Secret Identity wasn't in continuity. Seeing that Superman as the Post-Crisis replacement for Superboy-Prime makes post Infinite Crisis a lot easier to accept.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I know this will likely be unpopular but my favorite alternate Superman is Injustice Superman. I guess I'm an oddball as Superior Spider-Man is also my favorite alternate Spider-Man, and Goku Black is my favorite alternate Goku. I find the idea of a cherished paradigm being turned on its head endlessly fascinating.
    As an alternate Superman, I can see the appeal of the evil Injustice Superman. If DC had been doing a better job managing Superman over the past few years, I don't think the character would be as hated by some Superman fans. I mean, the Batman Who Laughs and the Dark Knights are all evil versions of Batman and his fans aren't up in arms about them (as far as I know).

I also think the Injustice games have done a good job making their evil Superman a relatively nuanced character--well, as nuanced as NetherRealm characters get anyway

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    This one for the idea that no matter where rocket lands, at the end he still becomes Superman.

Superman Earth One because it's the only version that made me feel like I'm reading Man of Steel'esque comic book series. It's a shame we might never see vol4.

Superman Secret Identity. It's basically a soft version of Marvel's Mister Miracle featuring Superman.
    LALALALALALALALALA!!!!! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!!!! I hope that even if we never get a full Superman volume, we might see a JL book at some point in the future and he would obviously be a member.
    Assassinate Putin!

Still very partial to Hernan Guerra from Gods and Monsters. And as always, I point out that Bruce Timm's version of not-Superman Superman turned out to be more Superman than his continuity Superman in many key aspects.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    LALALALALALALALALA!!!!! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!!!! I hope that even if we never get a full Superman volume, we might see a JL book at some point in the future and he would obviously be a member.
    It's just being so long and I've been hearing that J Michael Straczynski retired (?) from comic books writing due to some health issues? I just can't imagine it being continued in a right way without the intentions of original writer. I do miss this Superman a lot who can admit that he does mistakes and he probably will do mistakes again down road, but due to good intentions. He takes himself seriously and realistically and doesn't shy from the fact that sometimes he can't do all perfect decisions.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    It's just being so long and I've been hearing that J Michael Straczynski retired (?) from comic books writing due to some health issues? I just can't imagine it being continued in a right way without the intentions of original writer. I do miss this Superman a lot who can admit that he does mistakes and he probably will do mistakes again down road, but due to good intentions. He takes himself seriously and realistically and doesn't shy from the fact that sometimes he can't do all perfect decisions.

Earth One Superman is New 52 Superman done right.