Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Does Jean Grey need a superhero code name and if so what would you call her?

Once upon a time Jean Grey was known as Marvel Girl, after being possessed with the Phoenix Force she become known as the Phoenix.
    Now she is just Jean Grey but would Marvel Woman or Psion be more suited to her ? .
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

No. Whatever codename they give her, no one is gonna start calling her that. It's just not gonna stick. "Jean Grey" is already a recognizable name anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    No. Whatever codename they give her, no one is gonna start calling her that. It's just not gonna stick. "Jean Grey" is already a recognizable name anyway.
    "Jean Grey" is what she was called in X-Men TAS.

And in X-Men Evolution, which would've been justified using the Marvel Girl name as she was a teenager in that show.

Yeah, there's no point giving her a codename. Even teen Jean's solo comic was called Jean Grey, even though that version of her IS called Marvel Girl.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Sticking a new codename on iconic characters never works. Jean Grey is instantly recognizable and she doesn't need a mantle.

That said, it's only a matter of time until someone brings back the Phoenix Force and she embraces that identity again (hopefully in the distant future- I'm happy with Jean the way she is)

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I agree that a brand-new codename isn't likely to stick, but I always found it annoying how certain characters just drop their codenames at some stage when everyone else has one. Jean has sported the Phoenix moniker before in the 90s at Rachel/Mother Askani's request even without having the Phoenix Force, and I'm sure they could find a reason for her to start using it again.

BANNED

"Prestige, But Competent" in honor of her daughter.

Power Tripper, because that what Jean seems to be like ever since she's come back from the dead.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I agree that a brand-new codename isn't likely to stick, but I always found it annoying how certain characters just drop their codenames at some stage when everyone else has one. Jean has sported the Phoenix moniker before in the 90s at Rachel/Mother Askani's request even without having the Phoenix Force, and I'm sure they could find a reason for her to start using it again.
    I think they've avoided dubbing her that because they made a point of showing Jean is done with the Phoenix (for now anyway) so it doesn't really fit. I think that's pretty sound reasoning. She's outgrown Marvel Girl, and Red or Psyche don't work either IMO. That leaves only an all-new codename or sticking with her name as her identity. I prefer the latter

Astonishing Member

Everyone knows who she is, there's no point in having a code name.

I know it would not make sense with her anymore, but the only name that is appropriate is Phoenix. It will still fit Jean without the force because of how many times Jean has been dead or believed to have been dead. When you factor in how many times she has been brought back to life by the Phoenix..it just works.

But I do not expect her to use it. Maybe they can do, like in Morrison's run where characters occasionally refer her as Phoenix. That way it is something used but not endorsed by Jean herself.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    10/10 would read
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Phoniex or firebird.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Jean "The Rock" Grey.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    HAHAHA Factual Post.