Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    The only acceptable code name that will fit Jean other than Phoenix is Marvel Woman, and that is only because she was once Marvel Girl. Jean has gone by her real name for so long that having a code name all of the sudden wouldn't work. It won't stick and she doesn't really need one.
    I would've said the same until I read the 'Green Jay' comment. I would still prefer no codename over green jay but if she absolutely must have a codename, that might be okay. Her phoenix costume was mostly green so maybe going back to it can still work. She could go with the bird theme still and since she is no longer a phoenix, jay would be as good as any.

Though as many lointed out, probably won't stick.

Phoenix kinda doesn't make sense even though she has used it before without the PF since she outright rejected it recently.

Marvel Girl or Woman would be too close to Captain/ Ms. Marvel and if they are pushing these 2 to be their top billed female characters, would feel too bland to the non comic reading audience.

Overall, Jean Grey is fine.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Green Jay or Green Day? That is the question.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Asking all the hard questions in life.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Just like trying to call Rachel "Marvel Girl" or more recently "Prestige" didn't stick, no new name for Jean will stick either.

It'd have to be something that all the books really were consistent with, and over YEARS for fans to accept something like that

Her only real name is Phoenix at this point , but since she "rejected" the PF that won't work will it, so she simply has no name besides her human one
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

So I did a little experiment and google-image searched "Phoenix" (and nothing else), wanting to see how long before an image of Jean came up, if at all. My expectation was to see paintings of firebirds and a few shots of Arizona primarily, but to my surprise a painting of Jean as Dark Phoenix was the fourth result (and not of Famke Jansen or Sophie Turner either). Rachel actually popped up about 10 entries down as well.

Considering how popular the mythology of the Phoenix is overall, especially to sci-fi and fantasy writing, I honestly didn't think it would be THAT iconic to Jean specifically, but it may be more so than I thought.

"Jean Grey" is still way more recognizable I'd say, so I think she's fine sticking with that. Otherwise I'd say go with Phoenix. Making up a new name just won't stick, and while upgrading Marvel Girl to Marvel Woman is a nice sentiment it's just a goofy sounding name.

Also, Marvel Woman would stick out like a sore thumb amongst her teammates who have names like Rogue, Storm, and Nightcrawler. It doesn't really fit in well with a group of heroes who are supposed to be on the fringe of society.

Headmistress

/10char

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    Once upon a time Jean Grey was known as Marvel Girl, after being possessed with the Phoenix Force she become known as the Phoenix.
    Now she is just Jean Grey but would Marvel Woman or Psion be more suited to her ? .
    The question to the answer is Jean never did. Her superhero code name is marvel girl but she is still known as Jean Grey more than Marvel girl.

Jean hasn't been Marvel Girl for decades (not since 1991, when the O5 X-Factor ended). The time displaced teen Jean is Marvel Girl, but adult Jean isn't. As such, that codename is about to be vacated.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Just like trying to call Rachel "Marvel Girl" or more recently "Prestige" didn't stick, no new name for Jean will stick either.
    Prestige hasn't stuck? You might be right but it is a little early to say that imo

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I know it would not make sense with her anymore, but the only name that is appropriate is Phoenix. It will still fit Jean without the force because of how many times Jean has been dead or believed to have been dead. When you factor in how many times she has been brought back to life by the Phoenix..it just works.

But I do not expect her to use it. Maybe they can do, like in Morrison's run where characters occasionally refer her as Phoenix. That way it is something used but not endorsed by Jean herself.
    They've just started to do that. In the future Adult Teen Jean was attacked by four Silver Surfers. She beat them all. But they called her both Jean Grey and Phoenix.

I agree with her resurrections the only appropriate name is Phoenix, if she is called anything besides Jean Grey.

Jean still feels it is her responsibility to atone for D'Bari and the other things the Phoenix has done. I can see her at in the future embracing the codename and the identity for that reason alone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post

It'd have to be something that all the books really were consistent with, and over YEARS for fans to accept something like that

Her only real name is Phoenix at this point , but since she "rejected" the PF that won't work will it, so she simply has no name besides her human one
    She was codenamed Phoenix without having the force in the 90s. It could work. But Phoenix may return as soon as next year since the movie is coming out in June.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Honestly, her name should be Phoenix with or without the cosmic chicken.

Marvel Girl always felt kind of like a 'placeholder' name. As if they were planning on finding her a better name for her but never did. Marvel Woman has that same ring to it.

Phoenix would be awesome because it could be a reference to her coming back from the dead. But her adopting that name might make it sound like she misses having the phoenix force?

I think it's too late to give her a name that will stick.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    While I was just kidding with Green Jay, the more I see it/say it in my mind it becomes better. It doesn't sound like a terrible superhero name, and Jean's already associated with the colour green as well as birds.

But speaking of Green Day, how about "Basket Case?"

Lets see what name come to mind for Jean Grey, strong,fearless, caring, wise and leader.

Ms. Grey
    Radiant
    Gem
    Titan
    Virtue
    Paragon
    Reign
    Decree
    Ordain

That's all i can think of right now.
    The dream is dead, so wake up and fight!