Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I just can't do that, especially with all the satellite books, minis, one-shots, etc.

I wouldn't even be able to get out of the silver age. I could get through the 60s, but the mediocre 70s would stop me cold. Sure, there's the death of Gwen, the original Clone Saga and a few gems like 'Longest Hundred Yards', but most of it would be a drag to get through.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I just can't do that, especially with all the satellite books, minis, one-shots, etc.

I wouldn't even be able to get out of the silver age. I could get through the 60s, but the mediocre 70s would stop me cold. Sure, there's the death of Gwen, the original Clone Saga and a few gems like 'Longest Hundred Yards', but most of it would be a drag to get through.
    I actually felt it was pretty easy to do because i was tired of Stan's voice after awhile. Conway's run is decent and Wein's run was inoffensive, if a bit bland.. but its also not that long. I've always heard good things about Roger Stern's run which should make it easy to get past Denny O'Neil short run when i do that..

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post

I actually thought the '80s (maybe starting in the late '70s) was really where I started to get a little burnt out. I could be wrong, though; it all kind of fades together as far as when stuff was published.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    I actually thought the '80s (maybe starting in the late '70s) was really where I started to get a little burnt out. I could be wrong, though; it all kind of fades together as far as when stuff was published.
    80s is my favorite decade!

Congrats on that. I've dipped in various eras, but never read straight from beginning to end. That is unbelievable.

When you're really into Spidey, though, it's hard to put the books down.

Astonishing Member

I am currently re-reading the whole Spider-man run, and i mean every Spider-man book there is. Most of the times i dont read every word balloon or caption box, but i try to understand the story. I already know everything because i am reading Spider-man since the 80`s, but still...

I am at Peter Parker 8, right now. (first Peter Parker run)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Most of the times i dont read every word balloon or caption box, but i try to understand the story.
    I did that quite a few times, and still occasionally catch myself doing that

Astonishing Member

For real, caption boxes never gives you something you dont already see, so they are pretty redundant and are rather distracting. Thats the reason why i love modern books like Savage Dragon or Saga etc. there are almost never caption boxes and are reading fluentlely.

In the case of old Marvels its even more redundant, because i still know what will happen (most of it).

I am currently re-reading the whole Spider-man run, and i mean every Spider-man book there is. Most of the times i dont read every word balloon or caption box, but i try to understand the story. I already know everything because i am reading Spider-man since the 80`s, but still...

I am at Peter Parker 8, right now. (first Peter Parker run)
    I did that a lot with the older comics in the '60s. I'd skim over caption boxes and also a lot of the dialogue during fight scenes and such. You'll also start prioritizing storylines or whatnot. Sometimes if a supervillain plot was boring me I'd skim over some of that but really tune in on the Peter Parker sections to keep up on his personal life. Some of the secondary books, too, are more skimmable than others.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, you learn what you have to read and what you can skip. I just watch the pictures then.

If i can somehow prolong my life i would like to read the whole Batman run including Detective Comics, but i guess that is not possible.

Yeah, you learn what you have to read and what you can skip. I just watch the pictures then.

If i can somehow prolong my life i would like to read the whole Batman run including Detective Comics, but i guess that is not possible.
    I mean, I'm sure its possible, but I doubt it would be entirely enjoyable. I did actually create a list of what I could find are the most readable and/or necessary pre-Crisis Batman stories to kind of replicate some of that experience. Once I hit Crisis I intend to start hitting closer to everything.

That’s great! I don’t think I would be able to do that, even with access to the material there’re a lot of moments that would probably bore me. Nowadays, I’m collecting Amazing Spider-Man from the beggining thanks to the Epic Collection line. Sadly, they don’t release the titles in chronological order, so I dont know when to expect Volume 4, and also I’m worried since I have read very bad things about the latest release on Amazon, where some people wrote that there was a fall in the paper’s quality. I could always jump to a currently going spanish edition, hardcover and with high standars, but it would be a lot more expensive. Just by buying a volume of Epic Collection I have to pay 12 dollars in shipping, and though I can find those spanish editions in my country, the price is a lot higher thanks to taxes, the earns of the store, etcetera. So fingers crossed that volume 4 goes back to the good quality, though not outstanding, that the other volumes of the line had
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Congrats on the complete reading! It's a looooong process. Next time I do this I plan on taking notes lol. I forget so much that by the time I finish I end up forgetting so much. Digging out the single issues can be a pain, so using Marvel unlimited is a nice time saver whenever possible. They do have all of the ASM run, but there are still some holes in their satellite runs.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by frizb View Post
    Congrats on the complete reading! It's a looooong process. Next time I do this I plan on taking notes lol. I forget so much that by the time I finish I end up forgetting so much. Digging out the single issues can be a pain, so using Marvel unlimited is a nice time saver whenever possible. They do have all of the ASM run, but there are still some holes in their satellite runs.
    I use a spreadsheet and have notes tab to denote arcs and happenings.. Some issues have one note, others have way more. I try to limit it though best i can.

And yeah, wish the MU had more of the Sat titles filled in especially with all the crossovers later

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    That’s great! I don’t think I would be able to do that, even with access to the material there’re a lot of moments that would probably bore me. Nowadays, I’m collecting Amazing Spider-Man from the beggining thanks to the Epic Collection line. Sadly, they don’t release the titles in chronological order, so I dont know when to expect Volume 4, and also I’m worried since I have read very bad things about the latest release on Amazon, where some people wrote that there was a fall in the paper’s quality. I could always jump to a currently going spanish edition, hardcover and with high standars, but it would be a lot more expensive. Just by buying a volume of Epic Collection I have to pay 12 dollars in shipping, and though I can find those spanish editions in my country, the price is a lot higher thanks to taxes, the earns of the store, etcetera. So fingers crossed that volume 4 goes back to the good quality, though not outstanding, that the other volumes of the line had
    I have that Epic Collection and my copy was in line with the quality of the previous ones.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)