Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Should have been a Sgt rock or The Losers story.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    In the same way that the later retcon they added to Joan Loring being manipulated by Eclipso didn't make the flaws of Identity Crisis disappear, explaining away Wally West's actions won't fix the flaws of Heroes in Crisis for me because a good story has to stand on its own, even in the context of a shared superhero continuity.

That said, it certainly makes those stories existence within that continuity much more palatable. Emerald Twilight is still a rushed and unsatisfactory story for Hal Jordan fans with the later retcons, but now that crappy story can be used as a stepping stone for a much better and more successful story like Sinestro Corps War.

But I still wouldn't really recommend anyone buy Emerald Twilight or Heroes in Crisis, despite both having some cool stuff in them.
    Emerald Twilight is at least a well written story that makes sense given the circumstances. HiC fails to make sense in any circumstances.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    Didn't want to start a new thread but have a question relating to 'HiC.' For those who state they think it is terrible (for whatever reason) if further down the line it is revealed Wally was indeed possessed/framed/infected, would you then go back and purchase, if you haven't already?
    No. Not because I hate what they did with the character, although I do, but because it was a very poorly written and constructed story. Yeah, King crapped all over Wally but he did it in a manner that failed in every respect. The mystery was poorly put together, the portrayals were poorly handled, there were plot holes and threads that were thrown out and forgotten, and the writer tried to explain it away with concepts, time travel, that he clearly doesn’t understand. That doesn’t even consider his inability to understand or portray mental health issues. While I would hate any story that treats Wally so poorly, I could enjoy it more if it was written competently. So, no. I would NEVER waste money on this **** book.

Fantastic Member

Thank you, was just interested in the thought/question. I ain't buying it either (ever) A 'first' for what is quintessentially an 'event' book. It does leave a horrible taste in my mouth. Poor Wally' what have King & Didio done to you! Was prepared to defend some of Didio' s more questionable decisions, but this just takes the biscuit. Really feels like he's done it just to get at those who championed the 'Rebirth' initiative and John's 'approach.' He must had really ate humble pie at the 'Rebirth' launch. Don't think anyone will believe him again, if he has to tow the line' next time he has to be bailed out.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

But I still wouldn't really recommend anyone buy Emerald Twilight or Heroes in Crisis, despite both having some cool stuff in them.
    I'd like to know which are the cool stuff in Heroes in Crisis. This event succeded in make me hate more an more the Trinity and Harley Quinn. Even Booster and Beetle last scene is odious.

Fantastic Member

Can we all just stop talking about 'HiC' better things to discuss. Positivity I want.

Incredible Member

Can we all just stop talking about 'HiC' better things to discuss. Positivity I want.
    You should probably go to a different thread then as the entire purpose of this one is to discuss HiC.

Astonishing Member

No.

10 character limit.

Didn't want to start a new thread but have a question relating to 'HiC.' For those who state they think it is terrible (for whatever reason) if further down the line it is revealed Wally was indeed possessed/framed/infected, would you then go back and purchase, if you haven't already?
    The story is still hot garbage. Fixing Wally or bringing everyone back doesn't fix the mind-set that DC has that made it in the first place.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    I'd like to know which are the cool stuff in Heroes in Crisis. This event succeded in make me hate more an more the Trinity and Harley Quinn. Even Booster and Beetle last scene is odious.
    There's a whole thread about it if you are genuinely interested in hearing from people who liked parts of HiC, even if they had serious problems with it. It's called the "Heroes in Crisis Semi-Appreciation Thread". You may not necessarily agree with what stuff people found cool, but different people have different taste in art.

It's just human nature to obsess over the negative. Just try to stick to the threads that aren't focused on HiC, and skip over the posts bringing it up, then you'll avoid most of it. You could also start up a thread focused on something positive you want to discuss. I promise I will participate in it as much as I am able.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

There's a whole thread about it if you are genuinely interested in hearing from people who liked parts of HiC, even if they had serious problems with it. It's called the "Heroes in Crisis Semi-Appreciation Thread". You may not necessarily agree with what stuff people found cool, but different people have different taste in art.
    Yes, i’m interested in it. Especially your opinion cause you’re one of the user I appreciate the most.
    I’ll check it, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Yes, i’m interested in it. Especially your opinion cause you’re one of the user I appreciate the most.
    I’ll check it, thanks.
    Thanks a lot. I hope you enjoy that thread. It has some really interesting insights about what worked and didn't work for people who were fans of HiC, even if, like myself, they didn't like how it concluded.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Lagoon Boy is killed by a sharp stick similar to what we see when Harley's hammer breaks in a later issue. It would have been better for the reader if it was explicit that BG saw that, as all we get made clear is that BG sees HQ kill Wally and HQ has some reason to think BG killed everyone. And if that was just some part of the VR that was out of sight of BG/HQ then the reader should not have seen it either.
    Thanks for the clarification. And I agree, if our POV is meant to be BG/HQ, we should've seen only what they saw and make it clear that's the case.

Interestingly enough, an article posted by CBR today is about Lagoon Boy's Death in HiC #3. Apparently, someone asked about what happened and King responded a couple days ago on Twitter (the question was 'Did Wally kill Lagoon Boy?'):
    https://www.cbr.com/heroes-in-crisis...oon-boy-death/
    https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom King
    Absolutely not. This scene takes place inside Lagoon’s Boy’s mind as the speed force hits him. But it’s a great question. That page is not written well. A big regret of mine.

Absolutely not. This scene takes place inside Lagoon’s Boy’s mind as the speed force hits him. But it’s a great question. That page is not written well. A big regret of mine.
    That tweet from King points to another thing to remember: it is harder then it looks to write flashbacks, VR sequences, or time travel. The writer might have a firm sequence in mind, but communicating that to the reader in a natural way without breaking their disbelief by a detailed breakdown is much trickier than it looks.

Great writers can make them look easy. But it's not, and it requires lots of practice before you fall flat on your face attempting it. Though looking back, it might be that the real trouble wasn't King's writing per se, but failing to work out a set of cues with Mann about how to communicate that something is a VR session.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])