Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    What mystery though? You can’t have a mystery without clues. King withheld any actual clues until his poor attempt at explaining in this issue. The rest was just people reading into things trying to supply the mystery that the writer didn’t.

Politely, you are incorrect. Either you missed a lot of what was in each issue, or you have decided to ignore things to come to the conclusion in your post.

Either way, it's probably not worth going into.

Incredible Member

Ok, where were the clues? I’m not the only one who is saying this so please enlighten us.

Ok, where were the clues? I’m not the only one who is saying this so please enlighten us.
    Just pointed out that it's not something that's worth going into.

If you believe that the discussion of if the title actually amounted to a "Murder Mystery" is worthwhile, start a thread to discuss that. This thread is accepts "Murder Mystery" being the case. Factoring that in, no point in entertaining the idea that it was not.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 04-24-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Incredible Member

Lol. Ok. I understand it’s hard to explain things that are nonexistent.

Lol. Ok. I understand it’s hard to explain things that are nonexistent.
    Again...

If you believe they are actually nonexistent, start a thread to discuss that.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    PREACH! tenchar

Bravo! The Wally West in HIC was not Wally West in any way other than looks, talent, and name. This book was pure Elseworlds and a damn awful one at that.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Again...

If you believe they are actually nonexistent, start a thread to discuss that.
    I’m literally asking you to talk about the mystery. I’m asking you to explain your views on this “mystery”. You point out that this thread is for that, I’m engaging you to hear your views on it. If, in this forum, you’re unwilling to do that then I’m left assuming that my belief that there isn’t one is accurate.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Politely, you are incorrect. Either you missed a lot of what was in each issue, or you have decided to ignore things to come to the conclusion in your post.

Either way, it's probably not worth going into.
    I don't understand what kind of purity you're trying to enforce in this thread, but it seems like you're splitting hairs. In a murder mystery discussion thread, one should be pointing out clues and explaining how they might lead one to a conclusion, what the red herrings were, why they worked, etc. Whether someone seems hostile to the story or not, explaining the mystery is a primary purpose of a thread like this. So, politely and respectfully, what did we all miss? It was obvious that Wally was involved and felt responsible for the deaths early on. It was obvious Wally was suffering greatly. That was all explicit.

The clues our various investigative teams found (or didn't find) were hardly dispositive to concluding what happened: Booster and Beetle figured out Wally's body was time displaced, and Booster appeared in the story, but he never mentioned a hidden time travel device; Bruce and Barry came to different conclusions about who committed the murders, but we don't know why, we never saw them compare notes, so we couldn't figure out that the murders were staged; Lois Lane received the note from the Puddlers, but since they had access to the Sanctuary data, one cannot conclude that they knew Lois's connection to other superheroes; Batman stated all the data had been destroyed, but he did it in the same breath in which he lied about having Kryptonite on his person, so one could not conclude the data was recovered by super speed powers; we saw Harley and Booster in the AI/VR suites as the alarm went off, so it's not surprising the VR tech was used to affect their memories of events, but that doesn't imply who did it or why.

Were there clues that would have ruled out Dr Nemesis manipulating Wally? Zoom impersonating him? The Sanctuary AI system accidentally committing the murders?

I'm fine with the idea that King wasn't interested in telling a classic murder mystery, and I think the general story has been pretty interesting (if flawed). But if there are clues we all missed, please enlighten us so we can go back, re-read, and see if it improves our reading of the story.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Spectacular Member

The chattering teeth forced down Citizen Steel's throat would seem to point to Harley, while maybe some "blasts" left over might look like Booster's lazers

So, as mysteries go - when someone exhibits god-like powers that they've never exhibited to literally fake *everything* we've seen as leads or clues, that's not playing fair in my book. And then there are the plotholes even after the explanation... and then there's the fact that we are just shown the explanation with a confession.... that's what tv shows do because they only have 42 minutes to get to it. But at least with those shows, they worked the evidence to get that person in the interrogation room.

Amazing Member

A "mistery" that everyone knew the answer from the beggining.
    Also, that speed force explosion is the definition of lame writing

"ha look, i can time travel..let's go kill my future self instead of trying to erase the damage i caused by killing everyone here"

Astonishing Member

The suicide wasn't to try to erase anything. It was literally just because he wanted to throw off the investigation (no one would suspect a DEAD MAN) and, presumably, because Tom King wrote Wally into being actively and successfully suicidal.

I’m literally asking you to talk about the mystery. I’m asking you to explain your views on this “mystery”. You point out that this thread is for that, I’m engaging you to hear your views on it. If, in this forum, you’re unwilling to do that then I’m left assuming that my belief that there isn’t one is accurate.
    No.

Not "Mystery" in quotations. Which is an assessment that you have every right to make.

What mystery though? You can’t have a mystery without clues. King withheld any actual clues until his poor attempt at explaining in this issue. The rest was just people reading into things trying to supply the mystery that the writer didn’t.
    That said, repeated attempts to derail a thread which is intent on discussing the mystery isn't something that anyone should entertain.

This sort of nonsense...

Is not anything anyone should bother with in a thread created for a specific purpose.

If you feel that the murder mystery in the book winds up being too bare bones? That is an entirely different discussion that should be taking place in a thread specifically geared towards discussing that take on the title.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 04-24-2019 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I don't understand what kind of purity you're trying to enforce in this thread, but it seems like you're splitting hairs. In a murder mystery discussion thread, one should be pointing out clues and explaining how they might lead one to a conclusion, what the red herrings were, why they worked, etc. Whether someone seems hostile to the story or not, explaining the mystery is a primary purpose of a thread like this. So, politely and respectfully, what did we all miss? It was obvious that Wally was involved and felt responsible for the deaths early on. It was obvious Wally was suffering greatly. That was all explicit.

The clues our various investigative teams found (or didn't find) were hardly dispositive to concluding what happened: Booster and Beetle figured out Wally's body was time displaced, and Booster appeared in the story, but he never mentioned a hidden time travel device; Bruce and Barry came to different conclusions about who committed the murders, but we don't know why, we never saw them compare notes, so we couldn't figure out that the murders were staged; Lois Lane received the note from the Puddlers, but since they had access to the Sanctuary data, one cannot conclude that they knew Lois's connection to other superheroes; Batman stated all the data had been destroyed, but he did it in the same breath in which he lied about having Kryptonite on his person, so one could not conclude the data was recovered by super speed powers; we saw Harley and Booster in the AI/VR suites as the alarm went off, so it's not surprising the VR tech was used to affect their memories of events, but that doesn't imply who did it or why.

Were there clues that would have ruled out Dr Nemesis manipulating Wally? Zoom impersonating him? The Sanctuary AI system accidentally committing the murders?

I'm fine with the idea that King wasn't interested in telling a classic murder mystery, and I think the general story has been pretty interesting (if flawed). But if there are clues we all missed, please enlighten us so we can go back, re-read, and see if it improves our reading of the story.
    If someone seems like they are intent on beating up on the creative team, no one in a thread where it was started specifically to avoid that should feel like they have to get on the other side of that ping-pong table.

If it's something someone wants to do in another thread, that's perfectly fine.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

It's all moot to me because (as others have noted) even a highly depressed Wally West going through this stuff -again- would not react the way Tom King wrote him for Didio. This story did not have Wally West. It had -a- Wally West in the way the TV show has -a- Wally West, but that is equally immaterial to me because the Wally West who got me into and kept me into comics in the first place would not act this way.

This story was an Act Of God and just as horribly done as that one. More so.

Someone call me when Didio is gone and DC stops doing one Elseworld after another.
    If I want to pay to be depressed I'll go purchase the latest season of Doctor Who or the Disney Star Wars.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)