Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    This was never a game where you had a chance to win by guessing and now can claim it was rigged. No one promised you should figure out the ending before you read it.

The puddlers was addressed, Wally was speaking for those who needed help and lost their lives in order to get the message out there so more would be able to find help. That is all there was, it was barely a plot point.

The time travel was fine. Nothing convoluted about it, in fact it is almost as simple as it gets as far as paradoxical time travel.

What about Sanctuary continuing on do you need explained? What part of rebuilding it or deciding to keep it going did you need actual pages devoted to in order to understand?

And as far as characterization, I mentioned I am not a fan of King's dialogue, and I don't have any favourite characters here. Whether a few are OOC or not is relevant to how I feel about the core of the story. The plot, the twist, the reveal. I get it if you think your fave was done dirty, go ahead and vent, but keep that separate from the actual plot and the intricacies of how everything unfolded.
    The puddlers were never really addressed. He gave some weak ass explanation about where he came up with it but the leak of the tapes, which was were the puddlers came in, was never really addressed again. What was the fall out? No idea. Wally murdered like 30 people, he doesn’t get to talk for anyone anymore. He didn’t cover up he murdered to speak for others. That’s insulting to even say. The time travel was written in the most idiotic way possible and he even acknowledged in the text that it didn’t make sense. Sanctuary should not still be open after this abysmal fail. No one is held accountable for he failure that lead to the deaths of so many heroes. You don’t care how the characters are out of character so there’s no need to address that. This was an extremely poorly constructed story that addressed mental health in one of the worst ways possible. It needs to be retconned and forgotten as soon as possible.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    And that's fine, whatever. It wasn't a murder mystery and King clearly didn't intend it to be one. Okay. But pretending that it's unfair to criticize the story for not being something many expected it to be based on marketing push sure seems . . . off.
    One of those articles uses the term "murder mystery" once and then the rest of it is about exploring the characters. The second article is about looking at the events and asking questions, and yes from that perspective it works, the questions lead the reader to look for "clues" and come up with theories.

I am not saying the term murder mystery was not used, what I did say was two things: 1) I don't care if this does not fit some standard definition of a mystery genre and 2) DC never said we would or should be able to figure out the killer and the ending before it happened from the clues. I get that some people might have been hoping for some sort of whodunit, but I sincerely doubt if this book was structured much more traditionally that many, if any, of the people hating on it would change their mind. It just seems like a needless thing to throw in every comment about hating it.

But fine, this is not a murder mystery. Does not change my mind about how to interpret it, or anything else I have said in this thread from questions to theories to my reaction to the conclusion.

So, how would people feel if WB decided to make this story into one of their DTV animated movies in a few years? Would you watch it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    So, how would people feel if WB decided to make this story into one of their DTV animated movies in a few years? Would you watch it?
    That's like asking if I want them to do a movie on Identity Crisis (the answer is no) .

Incredible Member

Why would they? There’s nothing to make a movie out of. I doubt this ever goes anywhere but the dollar bin.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's like asking if I want them to do a movie on Identity Crisis (the answer is no) .
    Honestly, this series makes Identity Crisis look like freakin' Shakespeare by comparison. Though, I'm actually one of those oddballs that liked Identity Crisis. At least that series wasn't such an obvious hatchet job.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Why would they?
    Because despite the criticisms people are buying the story and discussing it constantly? If that kind of book sales and attention could be transferred over to an animated project they'd feel like it was a hit.

I think someone will probably take the Sanctuary concept and implement it how it probably should've been in this comic.

But an actual adaption of HiC? I just don't see it happening.

Mighty Member

Because despite the criticisms people are buying the story and discussing it constantly? If that kind of book sales and attention could be transferred over to an animated project they'd feel like it was a hit.
    HiC sells okay according to the data we can see. It's not amazing for an event (it sells about half what Metal did, for example, to the comic shops). It's certainly possible it will do better in trade or has been doing better digitally or overseas, but available data from ComiChron says this was a fair-to-middling popularity event
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    HiC sells okay according to the data we can see. It's not amazing for an event (it sells about half what Metal did, for example, to the comic shops). It's certainly possible it will do better in trade or has been doing better digitally or overseas, but available data from ComiChron says this was a fair-to-middling popularity event
    It is weird to compare. Metal was a "mega" event that had all sorts of tie ins and affected the DC Universe in a traditional way. Doomsday Clock is self contained, but it has Geoff Johns, the tie to Watchmen, and the hope it results in some big 'unreboot.' HiC is really just a limited series that was heavily promoted, but the star writer and artist probably did lead some to expect better sales (although that seems to be common at DC.)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    It is weird to compare. Metal was a "mega" event that had all sorts of tie ins and affected the DC Universe in a traditional way. Doomsday Clock is self contained, but it has Geoff Johns, the tie to Watchmen, and the hope it results in some big 'unreboot.' HiC is really just a limited series that was heavily promoted, but the star writer and artist probably did lead some to expect better sales (although that seems to be common at DC.)
    I don't know what my expectations for sales would have been*, but in the context of "do you think they'll be making an animated movie of it" i think popularity probably matters to the bean counters that green light stuff. HiC is only sort of self-contained (Flashpoint/Manhattan erasing the kids and mind-wiping Linda while stranding Wally in some nether-world is pretty important, although one could re-write the specific reason Wally is there), it's something of a critical darling although the final issue couple issues moved some critics off their positive reviews, and it's only sort of selling okay.

On a bit of a tangent, Metal could be a pretty dope animated series, especially if they dug deep to get previous Batman voice actors to voice the various Dark Knights.

*Certainly, not getting the first issue over 100K was a disappointment to DC
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    You see, that's not really a good thing.

(The reason I'm such a pain in the ass is that I'm right more often than not. Don't blame me, blame reality. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
    You see, this was my devious plan from the start. If I'm right, I win! If I'm wrong, you lose! Mwa-ha-ha-ha!

Seriously, though, this whole situation sucks, but I had a good time while it lasted. Honestly, I've got to bet on the outcomes of comic books more often. It adds a certain extra tension and anxiety to reading the books when you've got something on the line.

...or maybe I have a gambling problem

I liked it
    I think the writing was particularly strong during all of the introspections of the entire story not just this chp
    I guess I just dont mind what happen to Wally here, he is still alive and to me this is a much more interesting development than just getting a pacemaker

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    I liked it
    I think the writing was particularly strong during all of the introspections of the entire story not just this chp
    I guess I just dont mind what happen to Wally here, he is still alive and to me this is a much more interesting development than just getting a pacemaker
    I can see what you're saying here, even if I'd rather they had gone another way here. I prefer Wally to be in extremely flawed, but engaging comics done by talented creators who disappoint than really, really boring mediocre ones like what we got from Abnett. It's entirely possible someone will be able to make lemonade out of these lemons.

At the very least, it will be interesting to see who DC pulls in to try and fix this mess. I do not envy them.

You could say that about any big event story. It's new so of course everyone is talking about it.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics