Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Batman #58

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    Just reading this makes my brain hurt. This is premier DC storytelling folks.
    Like I said, I don't see how it's any more convoluted than RIP or Endgame.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    We're talking about a Bane who literally planned a plane crash, powering up two kids, driving them insane, getting his own island invaded, his own imprisonment, all so that Batman's wedding could be setup and then destroyed.

I feel like he would care about the specific outcomes of Dick getting shot in the head.
    Bane doesn't care if Dick die or not.

The goal of Bane was that Batman saw the shot to Nightwing, because it will isolate him. He fulfilled that goal.
    Last edited by Konja7; 11-10-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Incredible Member

Like I said, I don't see how it's any more convoluted than RIP or Endgame.
    RIP was indeed bad but that crappy story doesn’t justify 58 issues of additional crappy stories and plots.

Spectacular Member Huntsman1117's Avatar

From what I gathered in BATMAN #58, Penny was a prostitute that Penguin fell in love with and had married. Penguin frequently has been shown sitting with a woman by his side, only it's a different woman in each scene, and they are always dressed & poised provocatively. I assumed they were prostitutes. I wouldn't be surprised if he developed a strong affection to one of the assumed prostitutes and put a ring on her finger to designate her as his own, as if she were property. This whole line of thought comes from reading the line about her being passed from man to man.

I'll slap my forehead if Penny is revealed to actually be a penguin.

As far as whether or not it was KGBeast's intention (or rather his client's intention) to shoot Nightwing in a way that would leave him critically injured, yet still alive...I think that very well could be the case. In this fictitious world, a super-skilled sniper such as KGBeast could pull off that task. KGBeast's client (likely Bane) may believe that critically wounding Nightwing with a strategic shot to the head would wreak more havok on Batman, emotionally, than simply killing him would. I would agree. The distress of seeing Dick become a completely different person due to the head trauma is much worse than seeing Dick die suddenly and painlessly.

This evil scheme has made Nightwing's own comic hard to enjoy. He's become petty and careless as an amnesiac. He has no hint of his personality left. He's a small-minded empty shell, a blank slate, and apparently he likes it that way. It's very sad.

Think about it, the best way to destroy your enemy is to ruin his or her wedding.

Batman now is a pariah among all his friends. Even Aquaman has shunned him. What a loser.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Bane doesn't care if Dick die or not.

The goal of Bane was that Batman saw the shot to Nightwing, because it will isolate him. He fulfilled that goal.
    Bruce doesn't care, either.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Bruce doesn't care, either.
    That's simply not true.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

BANNED

That's simply not true.
    I'm willing to bet that the name of Dick Grayson has not been uttered in the Batman book since the head shot. He whomped up on KGBeast so he's forgotten the whole thing.

I'm willing to bet that the name of Dick Grayson has not been uttered in the Batman book since the head shot. He whomped up on KGBeast so he's forgotten the whole thing.
    Did you miss Jim Gordon talking about "the kid" being shot in the head in this issue? And Batman ignoring Jim and trying to focus on the case is classic "Batman cares too much and doesn't know how to deal."

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

My god you're right !!!! Bruce basically killed KSBeast but that doesn't means nothing because he didn't talk about Dick every issue. He clearly doesn't give a damn.

BANNED

Did you miss Jim Gordon talking about "the kid" being shot in the head in this issue? And Batman ignoring Jim and trying to focus on the case is classic "Batman cares too much and doesn't know how to deal."
    Maybe Gordon was talking about that old lady 'Beast whacked on the way up the stairs. Gordon is really ancient. Batman would act the same way no matter what; my point is that it's a totally forgettable event in the flagship title.

...I feel like this conversation is a couple of people trying to take the issue seriously, two people trying to convince everyone (or just joking) that Penguin married a bird, and a couple of people who just hate the story.

BANNED

Well its King's fault to begin with. You cant really compare it with R.I.P. King didn't even bother with the implications his story had on Dick and Penguin randomly has a wife he loved and now she's dead and its driving the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Well its King's fault to begin with. You cant really compare it with R.I.P. King didn't even bother with the implications his story had on Dick and Penguin randomly has a wife he loved and now she's dead and its driving the story.
    I think most writers have created new relationships that supposedly go back a while that are suddenly important. Hush is a big one. Morrison has Batman put all the big criminals in jail mostly off panel, then has his relationship with Jezebel Jet progress insanely fast (yes, I know it's drugs and manipulation, but it's incredibly jarring that he's flirting one moment, then suddenly she's in the Batcave).

I strongly disagree that King is ignoring the implications the story has for Dick. No, he's not showing Dick's recovery, but that's because it would be redundant to what's happening in Nightwing. But he is showing how it affects Batman, in the way Bruce reacted to Jim's question.

As for the suddenness of Penguin having a wife - Penny was 20 years old, so I think it's quite easy to imagine a very young woman, a very new marriage, suddenly cut short by Bane. Penguin is the type of person, I think, who would both actually love Penny, but also imagine himself the kind of classy, noble person who quotes poetry and has tragic love affairs.

BANNED

Except she wasn't suddenly in the cave, Morrison started it in 655 and concluded it in 681. 675 was particularly important.

Its disrespectful, he imposed a crappy situation on Nightwing and now is trying to avoid it to keep his own rep intact. There's no hint of Ric, just that something happened which could really be anything.

Its important enough for Penguin to defy Bane and team up with Batman. I think it requires a lot more than what King gave. No wonder the penguin theory is floating around. Penny might as well be a chimpanzee as well because there's nothing that indicates a human has been buried in that grave. That is King's failing, he just makes up his own history.

PS: I didn't get the Deathstroke scans from Walmart Batman.