Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member

I've read nothing of Paul Jenkins Spider-Man. When did his runs start and what are the must read stories so I'm experiencing the best of his best? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I've read nothing of Paul Jenkins Spider-Man. When did his runs start and what are the must read stories so I'm experiencing the best of his best? Thanks.
    Peter Parker: Spider-Man #20-50 starting in the year 2000 (there's a 2 issue fill-in written by Zeb Wells for #42 & #43). A good portion of the run was recently collected last year in a trade called Spider-Man: Light in The Darkness (collects #20-33 plus some other books) if you don't wanna hunt down floppies but want something physical.

The first issue of the run #20 is a great standout done-in-one that sort of highlights the strengths of the run and the kinds of stories it would try to tell, #25 is one of the best Norman Green Goblin stories (it continues from ASM volume 2 #25, that is also collected in the trade paperback I mentioned above), #30-32 is an amazing 3 part story with a new villain that puts Spidey through the wringer and tests that 'never give up' attitude to the limits, #33 is one people really enjoy highlighting Peter remembering how he and Uncle Ben would always go to baseball games together, #44-47 is Death in The Family- a 4 part Spidey vs. Green Goblin story that takes their personal conflict to its limits. My personal favorite Goblin story and the one that can be viewed as their final battle (collected in a 2003 trade paperback called Return of The Goblin), #50 is a great story focusing in Peter and Aunt May. I mean I've arguably left out some pretty memorable issues in all that (the silent mime issue shoutout) but those are some standouts.

The Spectacular Spider-Man volume 2 #1-27 starting in the year 2003 (#23-26 aren't written by Jenkins and are a followup to Sins Past. Nuff said, right there).

Run starts with a 5 issue Venom story called The Hunger that pretty radically reinvisioned that character and would go on to influence the character's direction in ways that was still being felt 15 years later (well just recently retconned sort of in the current Venom run), and a 5 issue Doc Ock story called Countdown. These are pretty great, in the vein of Death in The Family. Marvel wanted more like that with some of Spidey's other big foes. The Lizard story after those is not great, the Avengers Disassembled tie-in after that is not great, there are a few great done-in-ones later in the run however. #14 is a highlight, as well as the poker game issue #21, the Mindworm issue #22, and the final issue with #27.

Jenkins also wrote a great 3 issue story in Webspinners: Tales of Spider-Man #10-12, that was his first work on Spider-Man, spotlights the Chameleon and Peter looking back on his failures.

There was also a 4 issue Daredevil/Spider-Man: Unusual Suspects Marvel Knights mini-series in 2001 that's pretty great. That one hasn't been mentioned yet here I don't recall! Anybody else read that one?
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 06-17-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    There was also a 4 issue Daredevil/Spider-Man: Unusual Suspects Marvel Knights mini-series in 2001 that's pretty great. That one hasn't been mentioned yet here I don't recall! Anybody else read that one?
    I remember reading Daredevil/Spider-Man (2001) from Marvel Knights, and I thought it was a wonderful experience. IMHO, Paul Jenkins & Phil Winslade worked well together.

My only complaint: I know Pete's spider-sense can be unpredictable at times, but I thought it would've warned him not to go anywhere near whatever Copperhead was doing to both Stilt-Man & Gladiator...

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-18-2020 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Peter Parker: Spider-Man #20-50 starting in the year 2000 (there's a 2 issue fill-in written by Zeb Wells for #42 & #43). A good portion of the run was recently collected last year in a trade called Spider-Man: Light in The Darkness (collects #20-33 plus some other books) if you don't wanna hunt down floppies but want something physical.

The first issue of the run #20 is a great standout done-in-one that sort of highlights the strengths of the run and the kinds of stories it would try to tell, #25 is one of the best Norman Green Goblin stories (it continues from ASM volume 2 #25, that is also collected in the trade paperback I mentioned above), #30-32 is an amazing 3 part story with a new villain that puts Spidey through the wringer and tests that 'never give up' attitude to the limits, #33 is one people really enjoy highlighting Peter remembering how he and Uncle Ben would always go to baseball games together, #44-47 is Death in The Family- a 4 part Spidey vs. Green Goblin story that takes their personal conflict to its limits. My personal favorite Goblin story and the one that can be viewed as their final battle (collected in a 2003 trade paperback called Return of The Goblin), #50 is a great story focusing in Peter and Aunt May. I mean I've arguably left out some pretty memorable issues in all that (the silent mime issue shoutout) but those are some standouts.

The Spectacular Spider-Man volume 2 #1-27 starting in the year 2003 (#23-26 aren't written by Jenkins and are a followup to Sins Past. Nuff said, right there).

Run starts with a 5 issue Venom story called The Hunger that pretty radically reinvisioned that character and would go on to influence the character's direction in ways that was still being felt 15 years later (well just recently retconned sort of in the current Venom run), and a 5 issue Doc Ock story called Countdown. These are pretty great, in the vein of Death in The Family. Marvel wanted more like that with some of Spidey's other big foes. The Lizard story after those is not great, the Avengers Disassembled tie-in after that is not great, there are a few great done-in-ones later in the run however. #14 is a highlight, as well as the poker game issue #21, the Mindworm issue #22, and the final issue with #27.

Jenkins also wrote a great 3 issue story in Webspinners: Tales of Spider-Man #10-12, that was his first work on Spider-Man, spotlights the Chameleon and Peter looking back on his failures.

Cheers for the help, Spidey_62. Appreciate it!