Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    Deadpool
    Lobo
    Cyclops

Really don't like them at all.
    One of those things is not like the others. I mean, fair to dislike all three ... just saying.

For me ... I don't hate them, but I'd probably say Dr. Strange and Dr. Fate. I appreciate the places both hold in their respective universes, but whenever I tried reading stories focused with them at the center ... just kinda boring, to me. And I can't really say why, because I can buy Mr. Fantastic or Mr. Terrific super-science stuff easily enough ... don't know why the magic stuff leaves me cold, but it just does.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Hellboy. His stories always seemed stale and self impressed, as if Mignola thought the stories he was penning were more clearer than they are in reality.

Preacher I can appreciate a story with a despicable lead. Not every narrative has to center around a virtuous do gooder who always does what's best. However, what I hate is when a series doesn't acknowledge that it's protagonist is a morally reprehensible person, and even reveres it's protagonist for their heinous actions. This is exactly what Preacher is.
    I can't think of any point in the series where Jesse Custer wasn't the most moral character.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Try Doctor 13: Architecture and Morality - That's crazy silly fun and unlike anything else I've read by him.
    I just read the whole thing. That was...wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I just read the whole thing. That was...wow.
    Good wow?

Personally I loved it. Though if I'd read it without knowing the credits, I'd be convinced Grant Morrison had written it.

Hellboy. His stories always seemed stale and self impressed, as if Mignola thought the stories he was penning were more clearer than they are in reality.
    Absolutely agreed. Fantastic artist, but I've never enjoyed his writing.

Preacher I can appreciate a story with a despicable lead. Not every narrative has to center around a virtuous do gooder who always does what's best. However, what I hate is when a series doesn't acknowledge that it's protagonist is a morally reprehensible person, and even reveres it's protagonist for their heinous actions. This is exactly what Preacher is.
    It's been a while since I've read it, but I don't remember him doing anything that bad - beyond getting into a few fights.
    Last edited by dancj; 11-13-2018 at 06:00 AM.

Attack on Titan: Boring one-two dimensional characters, a poorly told and structured story that makes no sense the more I look into it, events and conflicts that try to add unnecessary meat, and the one of the most useless protagonists to have in a story, he needs to be saved almost all the time.

Game of Thrones: Almost all the characters are unlikable, the setting being used as an excuse for how terrible they are don't work for me, there are plenty of stories in that era and area with likable characters. And Reek is one that brays.

Namor: I won't echo what Spike-X said. This prince of Atlantis is a grouchy grump I couldn't bear at all.

Starfire and Raven: Two members of the Titans I do not care for, not when they bring their backstories and corner of the mythos.
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    FLASH - Guy that runs fast in red PJ's has the personality of dry toast. Oh, please go on.

Green Lantern - Let me get this straight a space cop drops a magic ring on you? OK I can see possibilities here. Wait, so you fight using a giant green boxing glove? No, not goofy at all.
    Flash is one of my favorites, has a nice charm to his character, and a nice personality. Barry Allen is my favorite of the three.

As far as GL goes though; there are stories with creative ways to use the power ring. I remember reading an editor's letter in one of those Masterworks/Archive editions on Hal's book claiming that in his tenure as an editor writers and artists were not allowed to use the same thing twice, they needed to be creative.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I also could never get into Star Wars, seen the og and the prequels. They just don't move me.

Same applies to LoTR
    I sometimes think you have a better chance of truly loving SW if you're below a certain critical age when first encountering it. If your first exposure is the OT, I'd say lower teens. If your first encounter is the PT, probably a bit younger, say 6-10.

Good wow?

Personally I loved it. Though if I'd read it without knowing the credits, I'd be convinced Grant Morrison had written it.
    Oh yeah, I enjoyed it a lot.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

To some degree Superman. He's just not a character I'd ever want to read monthly about. Movies or cartoons, sure. Comics nah not even if the storyline is really good.

BANNED

Batman
    Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern
    Captain America
    Thor
    Hulk
    Wolverine
    Cyclops
    Deadpool
    Fantastic Four
    Spider-Man
    Doctor Strange

All characters (likely forgetting to list some) that I have tried numerous times to “get into”. Sometimes I feel it was timing (who was writing/drawing them at the time), but maybe not?

This is strictly comics, by the way. I enjoy many of these character in other media (animation and movies, mostly) with, I think, Hulk and Cyclops being the only two I can’t like anywhere.
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 11-13-2018 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    To some degree Superman. He's just not a character I'd ever want to read monthly about. Movies or cartoons, sure. Comics nah not even if the storyline is really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Superman
    I suggest reading All Star Superman, Birthright, and the John Byrne reboot from Man of Steel to his end of run on Action Comics and Superman volume 2. If you've checked them out already then you should try Golden Age and Silver Age stories, don't try to take them seriously cause they are made to be taken more lightheartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Green Lantern
    I have one recommendation when it comes to Green Lantern: Avoid the Geoff Johns stuff, he amped up the reckless cocky reputation of Hal Jordan.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Game of Thrones. Especially the books that i found to be not so greatly written and needlessly vulgar. (only read the 3 first, gave up after that)

Only watched the first season of the show. Which to be fair is decent enough but nothing really who made me wanna watch more.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

It's been a while since I've read it, but I don't remember him doing anything that bad - beyond getting into a few fights.
    He flushed a cat down the toilet, for one.

He also saved a herd of wild horses from being slaughtered, which seems like a pretty moral thing to have done.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 11-15-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Yeah, that is bad. It still puts him above everyone else in the comic - with the exception of Humperdoo and Arseface