Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    The Chronicles of Narnia. It completely lost me with the last book. Why didn't Susan get to go to Paradise? Why was she being punished for being a girl and liking "girl stuff?" Jesus, Aslan, you're gonna let her live on by herself with the knowledge that all her brothers and sisters are fucking dead with no hope of ever seeing her again, because she suddenly doesn't meet your arbitrary standards? Ass.
    Sounds pretty faithful to the Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Everything Chris Claremont has ever written.
    Agreed, but for different reasons. His writing is clumsy with excessive exposition and terrible accents, and is just quite boring. Never liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    DC:

Hawkman - outside of the excellent and largely forgotten HAWKWORLD series of the 1990s, 0 interest in this convoluted hero.

Shazam! - there is something ick about a kid who turns into an adult with the mind of a kid. Also, makes issues of consent too difficult and/or creepy with it comes to stuff like romance.

Booster Gold - I wish this character would go away and never come back and no, I don't have a good reason why. He sucks.

Harley Quinn - just, no. You are a gleeful murderer several times over, not a symbol of female empowerment. Every time I see Harley on a cover, I'm reminded that Vixen is still unused.

Storm - as long as she is associated with, and continuing to ruin, Black Panther, she's out. Once that "romance" is done for good, then we'll talk.

Namor - great villain, terrible hero, overall jerk. His speedos are laughable. And he's about to be surpassed in pop culture by his biggest copycat.

Sentry - any inktime this doofus gets should be going to Blue Marvel, who seems way, way, more interesting. Also, if you have to be inspired by SUPERMAN IV's Nuclear Man, you suck.

Nathaniel Richards - ugh, super OP and a wunkerkind to boot. It'd be way more interesting if Reed and Sue produced completely average non-powered kids, IMHO.

Others:

Doctor Who - just don't get the appeal of the entire franchise. Which is weird, because I get into both Star Trek and Star Wars really easily.

Ghostbusters w/o the classic cast - no thanks. Saw the reboot: it flat-out sucked on its own terms even without the external misogyny thrown at it.

The Wheel of Time - read the first book, stopped midway through the 2nd, didn't bother to read any of the following books. "Over-descriptive", thy name is Robert Jordan.

Warhammer 40K - a long-running franchise without a single female character of note? I'm out. Plus it just seems much too pointlessly violent.

SHAZAM: IMO he's goofy AF & not in a good way. Still, the movie trailer look HILARIOUS in a good way. Looking forward a movie where IDGAF about the source material. Still, I want that goofy-ass tiger to show up.

BOOSTER GOLD
    : Agree, he does suck.

HARLEY QUINN: I like her. She's bubbly, homicidaly empowered, & her appearance is constantly changing with every artist. She's got a metric TON of personality. I don't take Joker's "love interest" too seriously.

VIXEN: Who? Nuff said.

NAMOR - Most of my appeal to him is that he's a magnificent jack-ass. Agree, His speedos do suck The Aquaman movie looks to be a much needed hit. Namor would make a better anti-hero in future Fantastic Four movies.

SENTRY: Very unlikable character. How do you write an interesting, emo-insane Super-Man?

BLUE MARVEL:
    Interesting back story for sure but then what? It's like Marvel wrote half a story here then said...and that's the story of the Blue Marvel! (FIN, fade to black).

It'd be way more interesting if Reed and Sue produced completely average non-powered kids? - No way DISNEY does not pass up a chance to monetize any super-powred kids they can get their hands on.

Others:

DR. WHO: It's VERY British isn't it? Can't get into it as well. I love Brit stuff like Judge Dread & Warhammer but Dr. Who just never clicked for me.

GHOSTBUSTERS (modern movie version): I love Bill Murray. No Bill? No Love from me. Results speak for themselves.

WARHAMMER 40K:
    I love WH40K. It's sci-fi/military with a LOT of borrowed theme from different IP. It's super grim-dark war all the time.

In the 41 millennium, man has reached the stars, but he's not alone. Humanity, to survive has devolved into a super-fascist-Catholic state barely holding back the forces that would destroy, transform or eat her. There is no time for love Dr. Jones, only...WAR!

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Sounds pretty faithful to the Bible.
    Gawd-DAMN, this guy gets it! BOOM! There it is, BOOM! There it is!

I have some trouble taking the 40k franchise seriously. Everything is so comically over the top.

It's like a kid trying very hard to be cool you know, you can't help but gently smile. So dark!! So grim!! So edgy!! Moaaar!!!!

Some good ideas though. The warp for example, born from emotions, is a great concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Conan The Barbarian. He's just not interesting to me.

Deadpool. I'm sorry, this guy is just freakin' annoying.

Squirrel Girl. Please, stop trying to cram her down our throats.

Legion Of Superheros. I don't really hate them, per se, but just doesn't really grab me though I liked their cartoon.

Grendel

The Spirit

The New Warriors.
    CONAN: He about the only Swords N Sandals IP that I can stomach. Guy goes from town to town fighting bad-guys, monsters & "romancing" beautiful women as he goes through an epic drunken life. Sounds good to me. Still love the first Arnold movie.

Deadpool: Meh. Pssst! It's the movies (RR) that I really, really like. Truly I DGAF about the comics.

LOS: I remember coming across some 70's comics with Superboy & a bunch of tards named, **** Eater-Lad, or Contraceptive-Girl or equally ridiculous names I came up with in 7th grade.

Grendel: I kinda remember some funky art of the one with the girl with a white streak in her hair? Not Rogue. She fought with a spear? Well, I did like the artwork as I remember.

The Spirit: Guy with a fedora & domino mask, yeah? Yeah, never read this stuff, but I remember some solid cheesecake art. God bless America I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I have some trouble taking the 40k franchise seriously. Everything is so comically over the top.

It's like a kid trying very hard to be cool you know, you can't help but gently smile. So dark!! So grim!! So edgy!! Moaaar!!!!

Some good ideas though. The warp for example, born from emotions, is a great concept.
    Oh yes, it's completely over the top & they're not shy about it either. I'm convinced the authors have a bet to out-do each other in that regards.

I love the hilarious (secretly cowardly) tales of Commissar Ciaphas Cain, "HERO of the Imperium", told in memoir format. I'm more into the Chaos factions than the Imperium but I do read & enjoy more guard stories like the Guant of Ciaphas series.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Grendel: I kinda remember some funky art of the one with the girl with a white streak in her hair? Not Rogue. She fought with a spear? Well, I did like the artwork as I remember.
    That's Christine Sparr. I thought the art was terrible in that story. The story was okay, but for me that was just before Grendel started getting really good.

The Spirit: Guy with a fedora & domino mask, yeah? Yeah, never read this stuff, but I remember some solid cheesecake art. God bless America I suppose.
    The Spirit has moments of genius. It was way ahead of its time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Game of Thrones

Lost

X-Men

Aquaman

Captain Marvel (Shazam!)

Infinite Stratos!

Golden Age Blue Beetle (Dan Garrett)
    GOT: Not a fan of sword N sorcery/handsome-elf stories, but GOT is so deliciously nasty, & I like that everybody gets their asses handed to them constantly. Everybody suffers...tremendously.

LOST: I completely ignored it.

X-MEN: I gave up on them, bout 10 years+ or so? I'm aware there's a female Wolverine but I cant be bothered to fill in the blanks. So unless Dodson/Cho/Bachalo is drawing it I don't care.

AQUAMAN: Every joke that Family Guy makes on him is completely true. Movie trailer looking good though.

SHAZAM: Well, the best I can say is that the movie trailer looks great. Hoping for a talking tiger or Mary Marvel in her black outfit & ponytail.

LOS: I remember coming across some 70's comics with Superboy & a bunch of tards named, **** Eater-Lad, or Contraceptive-Girl or equally ridiculous names I came up with in 7th grade.
    While he didn't create Legion of Super-Heroes, Jim Shooter did get his start in comics on that book . . . when he was 14. So . . .

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Game of Thrones - Just didn't give a **** to be honest

Buffy - Only liked the movie didn't know why they were trying to get me to take Buffy seriously as a hero and the lack of melanin was a turn off as well but then again I just don't like Joss Whedon

Charmed - See Buffy but without a funny movie and an unnecessary #Resistance remake to go with it

Barry Allen - You know how some fans will say that Hal Jordan has no personality? That's not true. Barry Allen is the man of no personality.

Deadpool - I liked Joe Kelly's take on the character and the first movie was fine but other than that I don't care to read about him.

Thanos - Too played out; when he moved away from wanting to kill everyone that was interesting but it seems that's been reverted for some reason. Then much like Dr. Doom he's never allowed to look weak or really lose. It's like he got turned into a power fantasy character by stans who then became writers.

Dr. Doom - see Thanos

X-Men - feels dated these days - last time I enjoyed that series was when District X was around

DC Multiverse in general - the characters who would benefit from this (ex. Shazam, Wildstorm characters) are shoehorned on the same Earth so that there can be a million different versions of Superman and Batman, each one lamer than the last for the most part. Even the cool Elseworlds stories couldn't be left alone oh no they had to get their own bloated Earths too. The best part is when the alternate Earths show up just to have their characters killed/maimed/jobbed out to make the main Earth characters look better. Don't even get me started on Earth-3.
    Telos - He's like Silver Surfer but lousy. Best moment for him was when awesome Parallax left him to die

Parallax (post-retcon) - Just annoying he never shuts up; Took a cool if poorly used villain and turned him into a lame yellow space mantis symbiote thing; Was the beginning of the end of my time as a reader of Green Lantern though I might give Morrison's run a try

Any Venom who isn't Eddie Brock - It's just not the same I guess. There's always something missing from each one.

Blankets - BOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGG. Nice artwork though.

Attack on Titan - Just don't care and now when I search for SNK instead of getting stuff like King of Fighters I get this ish instead. It kinda sucks.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

40K does have some badass female characters like Saint Celestine, Yvraine, and Inquisitor Greyfax. A good list can be found here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40...cters_in_w40k/
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Barry Allen - You know how some fans will say that Hal Jordan has no personality? That's not true. Barry Allen is the man of no personality.
    Nice, friendly, loves science, works with the police cause he respects law enforcement, loves comic books, his tardiness is not just cause he's really slow on his feet, a responsible uncle in law, relatable, can get believably angry for good personality reasons....

Being the first chairman and leader of the Justice League although being generally tardy shows a side of a his personality.

I don't get why so many people trash talk the best Flash out there as someone with no personality, if he really was one he wouldn't be one of my favorites.

I don't get why people say the same about Hal Jordan either, he's a cool brother, and I like him when they don't write him performing dumb stunts to attract Carol's attention or is acting like a jackass in New52 animated movies.
    Attack on Titan - Just don't care and now when I search for SNK instead of getting stuff like King of Fighters I get this ish instead. It kinda sucks.
    Characters in this are an example of no personality. Characters are either angry or angsty, and it mostly shows when they are in a situation of danger. Barely any emotion or personality out of these situations.
    Last edited by Speed Force League Unlimited; 11-30-2018 at 01:31 PM.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Buffy.

Sherlock Holmes.

Tarzan.

I've never been able to work up much enthusiasm for these characters, though I did enjoy the Cumberbatch series.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Nice, friendly, loves science, works with the police cause he respects law enforcement, loves comic books, his tardiness is not just cause he's really slow on his feet, a responsible uncle in law, relatable, can get believably angry for good personality reasons....

Being the first chairman and leader of the Justice League although being generally tardy shows a side of a his personality.

I don't get why so many people trash talk the best Flash out there as someone with no personality, if he really was one he wouldn't be one of my favorites.
    Respect for law enforcement, loving science, loving comic books, and being tardy aren't personality traits. They just sound like descriptions of what a person likes.

He's nice and friendly but so is Superman.

There was the story where he broke Professor Zoom's (don't like him either) neck but then it started that whole trial and that just dragged on. I can only imagine what it was like for someone reading it when it first happened.

I don't get why people say the same about Hal Jordan either, he's a cool brother, and I like him when they don't write him performing dumb stunts to attract Carol's attention or is acting like a jackass in New52 animated movies.
    I think with Hal it's due to the Superfriends much like Aquaman. He didn't do much in that show and that's the version most people have seen. In the comics he was more lively at least. Didn't care for Johns's take on him though. Much like with his take on Aquaman, it came off like he overreacted to the fans who didn't like either character and in trying to show "see this is why these characters matter" he ends up proving said critics right.

Characters in this are an example of no personality. Characters are either angry or angsty, and it mostly shows when they are in a situation of danger. Barely any emotion or personality out of these situations.
    I've never seen Attack on Titan so can't comment on how the characters but from what I've heard being in the middle of war while being attacked by beings you can barely comprehend is going to **** with your emotions. The angst would be reasonable in that case but maybe it's like a lot of anime these days where each character is some sort of cliche.

Respect for law enforcement, loving science, loving comic books, and being tardy aren't personality traits. They just sound like descriptions of what a person likes.

He's nice and friendly but so is Superman.

There was the story where he broke Professor Zoom's (don't like him either) neck but then it started that whole trial and that just dragged on. I can only imagine what it was like for someone reading it when it first happened.
    That story is awesome, and there are stuff like Big Sir and Gorilla Grodd stuff to fill in for the story dragging for some.

Calling Barry Allen a no personality is the same as saying Batman is someone with no personality, or even accusing Superman of that. Three awesome superheroes that got a bad rap.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage