Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Keep in mind most of the Shaprio stuff are from Q&A's and not actual debates. He and these kids are not on an even playing field, so it's probably easy for him to keep his cool knowing that he's getting the last word regardless. Also, I think Ben is full of bullcrap on most subjects. The only thing enlightening about these clips how smug Ben is even when he's completely wrong.

Crowder did everything he could think of to try and throw the kid ( Yusef?) off his game including getting the young man's personal space. Crowder was clearly frustrated because the guy understood the subject way better than Crowder. Yusef kept his cool and even called him out on it at the end of the clip, "I think you're just getting mad because you're losing the debate."

The big thing I noticed is that the kid never really got to finish a point he was making because the other guy controlled the mike and kept interrupting and controlling the exchange.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    The big thing I noticed is that the kid never really got to finish a point he was making because the other guy controlled the mike and kept interrupting and controlling the exchange.
    That's pretty typical of pundits or people who favor authoritarianism.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

BANNED

Keep in mind most of the Shaprio stuff are from Q&A's and not actual debates. He and these kids are not on an even playing field, so it's probably easy for him to keep his cool knowing that he's getting the last word regardless. Also, I think Ben is full of bullcrap on most subjects. The only thing enlightening about these clips how smug Ben is even when he's completely wrong.
    Okay interesting. While I do enjoy hearing this Ben dude debate sometimes for the fun of it, but I do think smugness, while entertaining to see it displayed against other annoying or pretentious debaters, can be a very dangerous thing to have in a debate.

Crowder did everything he could think of to try and throw the kid ( Yusef?) off his game including getting the young man's personal space. Crowder was clearly frustrated because the guy understood the subject way better than Crowder. Yusef kept his cool and even called him out on it at the end of the clip, "I think you're just getting mad because you're losing the debate."

Okay that was nice (though I didn't see Crowder get all angry and emotional), but I was hoping to find more examples on the other side of the pond or something less political.

@Things Fall Apart: I notice that your pm inbox is full.

BANNED

Here's another one I found:

Lawrence Knauss vs Hamza Tzortis

The comments section are all saying that the atheist himself had no class and lost his temper while the other had more class and humility.

BANNED

Are there any other notable debates that people can submit? But most people on this board probably doesn't like Jordan Peterson, so I'm asking for examples that you guys would agree with.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Fomble View Post
    Are there any other notable debates that people can submit? But most people on this board probably doesn't like Jordan Peterson, so I'm asking for examples that you guys would agree with.
    Peterson is not a great debater. Most of these clips where he DESTROYS someone are either college students or female TV hosts who haven't studied his books. Or he's simply making a speech in front of a sympathetic crowd. Rarely does he debate someone who'll call him out on his obvious BS tactics. It's interesting how much he leans back and scowls at women journalists who try to interview him. He's also absurdly vague when answering questions so that later when someone points out how silly his statement is, he can claim that they "misrepresented" him.

BANNED

Peterson is not a great debater. Most of these clips where he DESTROYS someone are either college students or female TV hosts who haven't studied his books. Or he's simply making a speech in front of a sympathetic crowd. Rarely does he debate someone who'll call him out on his obvious BS tactics. It's interesting how much he leans back and scowls at women journalists who try to interview him. He's also absurdly vague when answering questions so that later when someone points out how silly his statement is, he can claim that they "misrepresented" him.
    Yeah if that's your thoughts on Peterson, whatever, I'm not going to comment on that, I just want other examples of debates where someone is calm/cool/collected/civil and the other is angry/agitated/hostile/overemotional, which if someone else can provide, I would kindly appreciate it.

BANNED

Another random vid I just found:

Mighty Member

Peterson and Shapiro are two extremely annoying people, and Crowder too. Anyone who's main purpose is to create YouTube videos of them CRUSHING, OWNING, DESTROYING libs needs to rethink their existence. I know they make a lot of money off this ****, which is I guess their main purpose.

They all love playing the victim.

Invincible Member

Yeah if that's your thoughts on Peterson, whatever, I'm not going to comment on that, I just want other examples of debates where someone is calm/cool/collected/civil and the other is angry/agitated/hostile/overemotional, which if someone else can provide, I would kindly appreciate it.
    How's this? Michael Palin gets upset but John Cleese stays calm

BANNED

How's this? Michael Palin gets upset but John Cleese stays calm

Well we're going for real debates on serious topics, not comedic satires of debates. But that video did give me a laugh though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    Peterson and Shapiro are two extremely annoying people, and Crowder too. Anyone who's main purpose is to create YouTube videos of them CRUSHING, OWNING, DESTROYING libs needs to rethink their existence. I know they make a lot of money off this ****, which is I guess their main purpose.

They all love playing the victim.
    It's much easier to pull off this act if you don't actually care about any of the issues and you are debating someone who does, because you can just push all of their buttons and drive them up a wall while nothing they say can make any impression on you. That being said, I don't think Shapiro, Peterson, or Crowder actually do it well because they have drank their own Kool-Aid and have started seeing themselves as these standard bearers of conservatism rather than just being in it to bamboozle some easily distracted basement dwellers.

To get to a point raised earlier, the reason that debate is seen as elitist and racist is because it has historically been the province of well off white men who were far removed from the actual problems being discussed. After all, it's easy to remain calm and civil if you know that whatever the outcome of the debate, your own life will be pretty comfortable. This is why you could have these genteel high society types debating the merits of slavery without raising their voices, no doubt if they or anyone close to them was at risk of being enslaved their tune would change quickly. Nowadays though, more people are able to have their voices heard and if you are talking about issues that actually affect people you care about, it's much harder to maintain some facade of civility.

One guy's take...

A lot of the clips linked to seem about as "On The Level..." as Hulk Hogan Vs. Andre The Giant back in the old days. My "This Is Staged..." meter has been pinned in the red every single time that I look at those videos. Feels completely staged to produce a specific end result.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    It's much easier to pull off this act if you don't actually care about any of the issues and you are debating someone who does, because you can just push all of their buttons and drive them up a wall while nothing they say can make any impression on you. That being said, I don't think Shapiro, Peterson, or Crowder actually do it well because they have drank their own Kool-Aid and have started seeing themselves as these standard bearers of conservatism rather than just being in it to bamboozle some easily distracted basement dwellers.

To get to a point raised earlier, the reason that debate is seen as elitist and racist is because it has historically been the province of well off white men who were far removed from the actual problems being discussed. After all, it's easy to remain calm and civil if you know that whatever the outcome of the debate, your own life will be pretty comfortable. This is why you could have these genteel high society types debating the merits of slavery without raising their voices, no doubt if they or anyone close to them was at risk of being enslaved their tune would change quickly. Nowadays though, more people are able to have their voices heard and if you are talking about issues that actually affect people you care about, it's much harder to maintain some facade of civility.
    Damn spot on assessment of these people.

I tried to give all three of them an honest shot (on Joe Rogan's podcast), not that I would agree with them, but tried to listed to their episodes with an open mind that maybe when they are not in the midst of their own ****, that maybe they can come across as decent human beings. Nope. Crowder was the most listenable of the three, but barely so. Shapiro and Peterson, I could barely make it through half. Shapiro went on and on about how every minority group paints themselves as victims, just prattling on about this, all leading up to the main event, which was about how white people, specifically white men, were the real victims.

I was willing to give these guys a shot at being okay humans after being weirdly surprised at Tucker Carlson when Glenn Greenwald talked to him on The Intercept's podcast. They had an actual discussion. Carlson admitted wrongs when applicable and agreed with Glenn on things I wasn't expecting. If that interview was all I knew of him, I would be surprised to see his Fox News show.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

You should check out the Zero Books podcast. They have some good episodes where the host debates liberals and alt-right types. Check out the Glenn Lowry episode for example.

Personally I find that the content of the argument of the argument is more important than how politely it's expressed and the obsession with politeness and civility is a sign of middle class values.

575.jpg