Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That is very specific.

What was it about those seasons that you omitted?

I can't remember exactly when I tapped out of Smallville. It was before the Brianiac or Supergirl stuff. I came back when the new showrunners turned the show into a revamped Lois & Clark with the Miss Tessmacher / Mercy Graves / Lena Luthor hybrid and the Lor-Zod / Doomsday remix. Then I stuck it out to the bitter end, no matter how goofy it was
    Season 4 got into some really weird stuff with Witches and power stones that came out of left field. The first three seasons were straight up a remix of pre and post crisis Clark Kent in Smallville mythology . The show rebounded in 5 because it felt like we were heading somewhere...then 6 the brakes halted again and we also got the whole Lana and Lex soap opera involving a falsified pregnancy and cloning, although the last few episodes of 7 were good.

Like you Season 8-10 felt like a different animal and it was basically Lois and Clark 2.0
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Season 4 got into some really weird stuff with Witches and power stones that came out of left field. The first three seasons were straight up a remix of pre and post crisis Clark Kent in Smallville mythology . The show rebounded in 5 because it felt like we were heading somewhere...then 6 the brakes halted again and we also got the whole Lana and Lex soap opera involving a falsified pregnancy and cloning, although the last few episodes of 7 were good.

Like you Season 8-10 felt like a different animal and it was basically Lois and Clark 2.0
    Ah, yes. That was the season with Dean from Supernatural, right? I believe that's when I stopped watching, too. Do you think season 5 might be worth watching now, or has superhero storytelling on TV progressed too far now for this to hold up to modern eyes? Season 5 was the Brainiac season, right?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Ah, yes. That was the season with Dean from Supernatural, right? I believe that's when I stopped watching, too. Do you think season 5 might be worth watching now, or has superhero storytelling on TV progressed too far now for this to hold up to modern eyes? Season 5 was the Brainiac season, right?
    I think it holds up fairly well. There are some clunker episodes mixed in, but the first episode of the season, episode 100 ("Reckoning" ) and the season finale all make up for it. There are times it reaches the level of Flash and Arrow there honestly...but it's still Smallville, warts and all.

I still enjoy the series as a whole. Even when it got bad I still watched in hopes things would get better, so I never left. Although that was probably because after Season 5 because of my job at the time I couldn't catch it live as I wasn't home those nights so I had to buy the DVD's. So I already made the investment.

What kept me going was the Luthors. Michael Rosenbaum and John Glover saved that show for me in season 6 and 7. Even when their stories got odd and weird, their performances were great to watch. Two really great actors.When they left at the end of 7,I was ready to bail but Season 8 reinvented the show and hooked me again. Then it was Erica Durance's Lois and Cassidy Freeman as Tess , as well as Davis Bloome in season 8 and Zod in Season 9 that kept it interesting.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 11-12-2018 at 06:50 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Fleischer cartoons always get me fired up, and I can get really pumped reading Morrison's Action any time.

In terms of individual episodes, Under a Red Sun from Justice League Action is a personal favorite!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    In terms of individual episodes, Under a Red Sun from Justice League Action is a personal favorite!
    I gotta be honest, I heard about that episode, and when the first volume of the show went up on blu-ray, I grabbed it "for my kids."

I was not disappointed, that episode was up there with the Fleischer cartoons in how well it captured Clark and made him look like a badass without making him something he's not.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

Bridge Four!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I gotta be honest, I heard about that episode, and when the first volume of the show went up on blu-ray, I grabbed it "for my kids."

I was not disappointed, that episode was up there with the Fleischer cartoons in how well it captured Clark and made him look like a badass without making him something he's not.
    I saw that episode and loved it! I love it when Superman is a badass and also witty. Confident Superman is the best.

Sure I also appreciate it when he feels conflicted, sad and unsure of what to do, but too much of that and it feels weird. Like BvS.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 11-12-2018 at 02:11 PM.