Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That is very specific.

What was it about those seasons that you omitted?

I can't remember exactly when I tapped out of Smallville. It was before the Brianiac or Supergirl stuff. I came back when the new showrunners turned the show into a revamped Lois & Clark with the Miss Tessmacher / Mercy Graves / Lena Luthor hybrid and the Lor-Zod / Doomsday remix. Then I stuck it out to the bitter end, no matter how goofy it was
    Season 4 got into some really weird stuff with Witches and power stones that came out of left field. The first three seasons were straight up a remix of pre and post crisis Clark Kent in Smallville mythology . The show rebounded in 5 because it felt like we were heading somewhere...then 6 the brakes halted again and we also got the whole Lana and Lex soap opera involving a falsified pregnancy and cloning, although the last few episodes of 7 were good.

Like you Season 8-10 felt like a different animal and it was basically Lois and Clark 2.0
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Season 4 got into some really weird stuff with Witches and power stones that came out of left field. The first three seasons were straight up a remix of pre and post crisis Clark Kent in Smallville mythology . The show rebounded in 5 because it felt like we were heading somewhere...then 6 the brakes halted again and we also got the whole Lana and Lex soap opera involving a falsified pregnancy and cloning, although the last few episodes of 7 were good.

Like you Season 8-10 felt like a different animal and it was basically Lois and Clark 2.0
    Ah, yes. That was the season with Dean from Supernatural, right? I believe that's when I stopped watching, too. Do you think season 5 might be worth watching now, or has superhero storytelling on TV progressed too far now for this to hold up to modern eyes? Season 5 was the Brainiac season, right?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Ah, yes. That was the season with Dean from Supernatural, right? I believe that's when I stopped watching, too. Do you think season 5 might be worth watching now, or has superhero storytelling on TV progressed too far now for this to hold up to modern eyes? Season 5 was the Brainiac season, right?
    I think it holds up fairly well. There are some clunker episodes mixed in, but the first episode of the season, episode 100 ("Reckoning" ) and the season finale all make up for it. There are times it reaches the level of Flash and Arrow there honestly...but it's still Smallville, warts and all.

I still enjoy the series as a whole. Even when it got bad I still watched in hopes things would get better, so I never left. Although that was probably because after Season 5 because of my job at the time I couldn't catch it live as I wasn't home those nights so I had to buy the DVD's. So I already made the investment.

What kept me going was the Luthors. Michael Rosenbaum and John Glover saved that show for me in season 6 and 7. Even when their stories got odd and weird, their performances were great to watch. Two really great actors.When they left at the end of 7,I was ready to bail but Season 8 reinvented the show and hooked me again. Then it was Erica Durance's Lois and Cassidy Freeman as Tess , as well as Davis Bloome in season 8 and Zod in Season 9 that kept it interesting.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 11-12-2018 at 06:50 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Fleischer cartoons always get me fired up, and I can get really pumped reading Morrison's Action any time.

In terms of individual episodes, Under a Red Sun from Justice League Action is a personal favorite!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    In terms of individual episodes, Under a Red Sun from Justice League Action is a personal favorite!
    I gotta be honest, I heard about that episode, and when the first volume of the show went up on blu-ray, I grabbed it "for my kids."

I was not disappointed, that episode was up there with the Fleischer cartoons in how well it captured Clark and made him look like a badass without making him something he's not.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I gotta be honest, I heard about that episode, and when the first volume of the show went up on blu-ray, I grabbed it "for my kids."

I was not disappointed, that episode was up there with the Fleischer cartoons in how well it captured Clark and made him look like a badass without making him something he's not.
    I saw that episode and loved it! I love it when Superman is a badass and also witty. Confident Superman is the best.

Sure I also appreciate it when he feels conflicted, sad and unsure of what to do, but too much of that and it feels weird. Like BvS.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 11-12-2018 at 02:11 PM.

For me, Superman bliss in it's purest form is sitting down with a damn good Superman comic and reading it whilst playing the John Williams soundtrack in the background. Either that or watching the old Christopher Reeve movie. It doesn't get much better.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

This is a fantastic thread btw!

Let's see. All Star without question. Particularly the ending about loving Lois till the end of time. DC One Million. Especially, after the reappearance of Superman Prime. There was also an issue where Platina narrates Superman's history upto that point. I absolutely agree with Kyle Rayner.

The battle of Metropolis in Birthright. Fight scenes in Man of Steel. Flight in Man of Steel. Superman:The Movie. John Williams score. Hans Zimmer score. Superman #162. Superman #156. Superman Adventures #11-12. And Superman THOOM!

My goodness! This is only the beginning.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-23-2019 at 07:30 AM.

Retired

Remember when everyone in comics got together to do HEROES AGAINST HUNGER? One big jam story featuring Superman and Batman trying to stop the famine in Africa.

This is indeed an awesome thread. Superman bliss for me also came in the form of The Death Of Superman, tpbs of John Byrne's run, Superman For All Seasons, Secret Origin, Birthright and All Star Superman. Also - I'm very fond of True Brit!
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Some great answers here!

A long list for me, in semi-chronological order:

01 Just about any Superman comic, but especially the Golden Age for the simplicity being so dynamic
    02 The Adventures of Superman (because I grew up watching reruns of George Reeves)
    03 Superman: The Movie
    04 The John Williams Score (mentioned separately because it's that damn good)
    05 Super Powers Superman (and related) action figures: that was my first Superman figure, and I think I had about 8 of them and one Clark Kent, lol
    06 The Ruby-Spears Superman cartoon
    07 The Triangle Era of Comics
    08 The fun of "Reign of the Supermen" (that totally duped me into thinking Cyborg was going to end up being Superman, LOL, also see #7)
    09 Dan Jurgens/Brett Breeding art (writing, too, for Dan)
    10 All-Star Superman
    11 Superman: The Wedding Album
    12 Infinite Crisis: didn't like Pre-Flashpoint much, but Infinite Crisis was a fun ride!
    13 Parts of Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds and small moments in Grounded (which reminded me my favorite Metropolis moments in Byrne's "Man of Steel")
    14 DC Universe Online (because I can fly around Metropolis and "see" all the landmarks from the comics, but the game's just a lot of fun in general - just redecorated my "Fortress of Solitude" base)
    15 Convergence (see #7)
    16 Superman: Lois and Clark because "my" Superman had a place again (see #7)
    17 Superman: Rebirth (because it took exactly that to get me fully back into the books again, also see #7 lol)
    18 Superman: Reborn (hopefully the start of a perma-merged Superman that will eventually be something of a unifier)
    19 Superman's "voice" by Bendis (probably the closest to what I see Superman's voice being that I've ever seen, and that's saying something!)
    20 Metropolis, IL Superman Celebration (yearly): So much fun talking geekery all weekend (comics/media discussions usually from 10pm to 7am in the hotel lobby, lol) and just generally having Super fun. Always a good time.
    21 Super-suit & Super-Reactions: I love the Superman suit my mother and grandmother made for me (see my avatar pic) back in '95 (especially seeing how my grandmother passed away 6 years ago).. it's both classic and just amazingly regal without looking "stuffy". It's 24 years old this year, but it's still majestic. And there's just something about being in that costume and seeing kids (and even grown-ups) get wrapped up "in the moment" and their eyes are full of joy, hope, wonder, and positivity. The feeling that gives off to see people like that is just so powerful and beautiful, and to have played some small part in that, even moreso. And playing the John Williams theme from my cell phone moto mod speaker tucked into my costume belt is fun, watching people wonder where it's coming from, lol!

I'm sure there are so many that I'm forgetting... but those are all big ones.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Man of Steel and Justice League

I don't care that it seems 99% of the Internet believes them to be garbage. In my opinion, these two films are better than all of the MCU (with the exception of Captain America: the Winter Soldier).

When I exited the theater after seeing MoS and JL, my family tells me that on both occasions I was smiling so much that it looked like someone had dosed me with Joker venom.

According to my family, I still tend to "split open [my] face" with joy whenever we rewatch them on ITunes.
    Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman, Justice League.

My favorite film trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Some great answers here!

A long list for me, in semi-chronological order:

01 Just about any Superman comic, but especially the Golden Age for the simplicity being so dynamic
    02 The Adventures of Superman (because I grew up watching reruns of George Reeves)
    03 Superman: The Movie
    04 The John Williams Score (mentioned separately because it's that damn good)
    05 Super Powers Superman (and related) action figures: that was my first Superman figure, and I think I had about 8 of them and one Clark Kent, lol
    06 The Ruby-Spears Superman cartoon
    07 The Triangle Era of Comics
    08 The fun of "Reign of the Supermen" (that totally duped me into thinking Cyborg was going to end up being Superman, LOL, also see #7)
    09 Dan Jurgens/Brett Breeding art (writing, too, for Dan)
    10 All-Star Superman
    11 Superman: The Wedding Album
    12 Infinite Crisis: didn't like Pre-Flashpoint much, but Infinite Crisis was a fun ride!
    13 Parts of Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds and small moments in Grounded (which reminded me my favorite Metropolis moments in Byrne's "Man of Steel")
    14 DC Universe Online (because I can fly around Metropolis and "see" all the landmarks from the comics, but the game's just a lot of fun in general - just redecorated my "Fortress of Solitude" base)
    15 Convergence (see #7)
    16 Superman: Lois and Clark because "my" Superman had a place again (see #7)
    17 Superman: Rebirth (because it took exactly that to get me fully back into the books again, also see #7 lol)
    18 Superman: Reborn (hopefully the start of a perma-merged Superman that will eventually be something of a unifier)
    19 Superman's "voice" by Bendis (probably the closest to what I see Superman's voice being that I've ever seen, and that's saying something!)
    20 Metropolis, IL Superman Celebration (yearly): So much fun talking geekery all weekend (comics/media discussions usually from 10pm to 7am in the hotel lobby, lol) and just generally having Super fun. Always a good time.
    21 Super-suit & Super-Reactions: I love the Superman suit my mother and grandmother made for me (see my avatar pic) back in '95 (especially seeing how my grandmother passed away 6 years ago).. it's both classic and just amazingly regal without looking "stuffy". It's 24 years old this year, but it's still majestic. And there's just something about being in that costume and seeing kids (and even grown-ups) get wrapped up "in the moment" and their eyes are full of joy, hope, wonder, and positivity. The feeling that gives off to see people like that is just so powerful and beautiful, and to have played some small part in that, even moreso. And playing the John Williams theme from my cell phone moto mod speaker tucked into my costume belt is fun, watching people wonder where it's coming from, lol!

I'm sure there are so many that I'm forgetting... but those are all big ones.
    Lovely post!

Nice to see some love for Bendis. Amazing thing is that it never feels like Bendis has just started writing Superman. It appears that he has been writing for years.

Let me add a couple more.

1. Action Comics #1. That one never feels old.

2. Grant Morrison's Action Comics run. Especially the first arc.

3. John Williams' love theme. This one.

I know i have selected the whole Superman movie as well as Wiliams score. But when people think about John William's Superman score they think of the other one. This is an absolute delight for me.

4. Oh and this one.

Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-04-2019 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Eyes View Post
    Man of Steel and Justice League

I don't care that it seems 99% of the Internet believes them to be garbage. In my opinion, these two films are better than all of the MCU (with the exception of Captain America: the Winter Soldier).

When I exited the theater after seeing MoS and JL, my family tells me that on both occasions I was smiling so much that it looked like someone had dosed me with Joker venom.

According to my family, I still tend to "split open [my] face" with joy whenever we rewatch them on ITunes.
    As glad as I am that you dug Justice League... I wish I could live in a world where I saw your reaction to a BETTER Justice League movie. Cause Bro, you deserved better.
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label