Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I mean it was used to find out remote locations across the oceans so maybe someone like Baleman with single minded determination could use it

But yeah I was more thinking in scenario terms like they're aware of the way in the first place rather than difficulties like getting past the door, finding the way to the bridge etc

I suppose there are other solutions like capturing an orc and making him show the way or flying over it

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I mean it was used to find out remote locations across the oceans so maybe someone like Baleman with single minded determination could use it

But yeah I was more thinking in scenario terms like they're aware of the way in the first place rather than difficulties like getting past the door, finding the way to the bridge etc
    That's fair, but I feel like it kind of undersells what the Fellowship brought to the table, because that stuff wasn't common knowledge. In fact didn't Gandalf have to actually stop and figure out how to proceed a couple times? Like all this riddle and maze stuff is a big part of the challenge.

That said, if they know the way through Moria anyway, and if we're assuming they will all work together and resist the ring, then yeah invisibility probably sees them through the combat stuff, though I might expect various cave monsters to not be heavily reliant on sight.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    If he can teleport his way past the doors, then sure. It's a blind teleport, but maybe that's a thing in Harry Potter, I'm not very familiar with the series (read once, watched the movies).
    It CAN be done. It's not easy and you really don't want to teleport half your body into the wall or something, but in theory it is doable.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

On the trip from Rivendell, except when confronted by the Balrog, Gandalf doesn’t do that much magic. In part that’s Tolkien’s style - no spamming of energy bolts and magic is relatively subtle (OK, I do remember Gandalf hurling down pine cone grenades in the Hobbit, but that’s a very different book). It’s the difference between writers who like magic as a mechanical, predictable aid and the others that like to accentuate myster.

But it’s also because Gandalf is trying to avoid calling attention to himself, on a journey which requires secrecy. He doesn’t even particularly want to create fire for warmth, except when he absolutely has to.

From what I recall of the Harry Potter-verse, wizards spam out spells at roughly 30-second intervals. Wouldn’t that attract precisely the sort of attention that Gandalf was trying to avoid?

Oh yeah as the Eye of Sauron which can detect his magic ring can detect magic in general, Potter will doom the group as Sauron sends wave after wave on said group.

Really the only way to spam magic in LoTR and get away with it is by being on a bigger tier all together. Which would make it a boring curvstomp anyway.

though I might expect various cave monsters to not be heavily reliant on sight.
    It's not just invisibility though. It's literally undetectable without specific magic. As in " Oh I just remembered I put the stove on as I approached this fairly wide space oddly large enough to hide 9 men"

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    On the trip from Rivendell, except when confronted by the Balrog, Gandalf doesn’t do that much magic. In part that’s Tolkien’s style - no spamming of energy bolts and magic is relatively subtle (OK, I do remember Gandalf hurling down pine cone grenades in the Hobbit, but that’s a very different book). It’s the difference between writers who like magic as a mechanical, predictable aid and the others that like to accentuate myster.

But it’s also because Gandalf is trying to avoid calling attention to himself, on a journey which requires secrecy. He doesn’t even particularly want to create fire for warmth, except when he absolutely has to.

From what I recall of the Harry Potter-verse, wizards spam out spells at roughly 30-second intervals. Wouldn’t that attract precisely the sort of attention that Gandalf was trying to avoid?
    By the 7th book Harry had learnt to hide from these very wizards that had by this point magicked specific names such that just saying them in the country would have brought searchers to the spot. He had learnt to make his camp invisible, undetectable, inaudible. Not just himself, the whole area round the camp, like how Hogwarts and the Quidditch world cup were hidden from muggles

At one point Ron who knew about these specific enchantments tried to find them via magic macguffin that led him to their general vicinity, for weeks but he still couldn't till Harry was led out of the camp and the zone of enchantment
    Last edited by The Dork Knight; 11-11-2018 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    By the 7th book Harry had learnt to hide from these very wizards that had by this point magicked specific names such that just saying them in the country would have brought searchers to the spot. He had learnt to make his camp invisible, undetectable, inaudible. Not just himself, the whole area round the camp, like how Hogwarts and the Quidditch world cup were hidden from muggles

At one point Ron who knew about these specific enchantments tried to find them via magic macguffin that led him to their general vicinity, for weeks but he still couldn't till Harry was led out of the camp and the zone of enchantment
    Ah Fair enough.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    It's not just invisibility though. It's literally undetectable without specific magic. As in " Oh I just remembered I put the stove on as I approached this fairly wide space oddly large enough to hide 9 men"
    Gotcher. Fair enough.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands