Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    She didnt pick up Magneto's actual helmet that he's worn. These were manufactured in the week that she took to prepare. Makes more sense that she would custom fit it to be able to block out incoming TP, but not outgoing

Why not? As stated in the above response. She had this custom built. It would be a huge design flaw if she designed it to cripple herself

LOL. There is no one-way lead barrier or EM barrier.

EM or TP waves travel both ways. This is a fundamental law of Physics.

The writer apparently didn't know he made a boo-boo and forgot that Jean can't use her TP as well.

Look at it another way, is there a sound barrier that only blocks incoming but not outgoing? Your earplug blocks incoming waves but it should block outgoing sound if you were to use your earplugs in your mouth.
    Last edited by jalsrix; 11-07-2018 at 06:34 PM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post

The writer apparently didn't know he made a boo-boo and forgot that Jean can't use her TP as well.
    lolololol.. wait was jean able to use her telepathy while wearing the helmet?

and to be fair this is a comic book. the laws of physics may or may not be applicable in the writings.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    If X-Men Red had been a biweekly title like Blue & Gold, I think that readers would feel differently. In the time that it's taken to resolve this one storyline, multiple other events in X-Men continuity and the wider MU have come and gone. We already know where Namor is at Post-Red. We know Gambit is in space with Rogue. Extermination and Uncanny X-Men are or will be in full swing. The overlap really annoys me, and a biweekly schedule and/or less issues would have prevented that problem.
    All these overlaps are due to greediness as Marvel wants to make as much money as possible with different writers at the same time.

However, the consequence is that continuity is lost and sometimes ignored, readers are confused as to the timeline, same members appearing in more than one team at the same time.

During CC's time, there was no such problem. Each team had different members and closely knitted with other teams so as not to cause continuity problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post

Look at it another way, is there a sound barrier that only blocks incoming but not outgoing? Your earplug blocks incoming waves but it should block outgoing sound if you were to use your earplugs in your mouth.
    This is a comic book. Telepathy and anti-TP helmets dont exist in the real world. Iron Man suits dont exist either and defy the laws of physics. If Tony can create those technological advanced suits, anti-TP helmets and any other real world breaking tech, then it shouldnt be inconceivable that he built Jean's helmet to allow her to use her TP at will

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    lolololol.. wait was jean able to use her telepathy while wearing the helmet?

and to be fair this is a comic book. the laws of physics may or may not be applicable in the writings.
    Exactly. I dont get the point of nitpicking over the laws of physics when arguing about a fictional piece of headgear that doesnt exist in real life. Comic physics doesnt work the same way real life physics does. We all have to suspend belief when it comes to mutant powers, superhuman feats and futuristic tech
    Last edited by Havok83; 11-07-2018 at 06:47 PM.

>OK art. Still not sold about the story. If only this pleasingly Left Wing book contained more action. :P I love protective Mama Bear Jean, not Pacifist Jean.
    >I agree that the supporting cast should have had more moments to shine over the past 10 issues. With only one more to go, that'll be all we see of Gentle and Trinary for a looong time. Luckily the other members all have books to highlight them otherwise.
    >While Cassandra could have wiped out mutants using vastly superior firepower on multiple occasions (Sentinels, the entire Shi'ar fleet), she's always opted to try and screw with them instead. That's the best reason I can come up with why she doesn't just take active control of the world's armies and superhumans via her telepathy and the mind sentinels to murder every mutant alive.
    >The sight of the Avengers still pisses me off but the sight of the Avengers wearing Magneto helmets makes me smile.
    >If Magneto helmets are so easy to mass produce, why hasn't any and every bad guy who wants to keep out telepaths done it before?
    >Poor Rachel. Not even mentioned.
    >Sad to say that I'm happy this series ends next issue. I'm looking forward to Uncanny and its take on Jean in an ensemble cast.

Favourite panels...
    xr1.jpg
    xg2.jpg
    xg3.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Mighty Member

I could use more Thorneto. I think it looks good on him.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I don't get why tony had a helmet. Why didn't he just build it into his own? That seems obvious.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

The main thing I hate about Red is how stupid and ineffective Nova comes across. She's never been a real threat but rather more of an annoyance to Jean. 11 issues drawn out with her as antagonist which wasnt earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I don't get why tony had a helmet. Why didn't he just build it into his own? That seems obvious.
    Maybe he did. We didnt see him hold and put one on. His helmet is the same color as his costume and may be a part of it

You'd assume anti-telepathy tech would be standard in all Iron Man suits.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Maybe it takes up too much space in the design, but most likely it is for plot reasons. They don't want to make Tony immune to telepathy forever, since it limits what adversaries can do for future writers.

Therefore, it can't be made a standard feature for reasons of handwavium.

BANNED

I'm beginning to think Red is the kind of book you should read once, enjoy the fun, put them and never read before a couple of months, at least. Made the mistake of reading the issue two more times and now I can only think "Seems like I jumped the damn gun calling this brilliant".

Maybe I was in too high spirits after finally getting me some Morrison again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't see what's "Oh no" about it. The MU public seeing Avengers and etc as heroes while the X-Men are treated like threats has been the status quo since forever. If anything is smart to show the Avengers with them so that the public can see it doesn't make sense to have those double standards against the X-Men(and, more relevant to this issue, that Cassandra and her army aren't some sort of heroes fighting those evil terrorist mutants).
    Yeah, taking the appearance of the Avengers here as an "oh no" moment is ridiculous. The whole point is to show unity, that mutants don't stand alone in their fight. The Avengers aren't fighting along side Jean because Jean and her team can't do it alone, they're joining their battle - at Jean's invitation - to show their support.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    I am not sure your point. The X-men obviously don't have a good idea of how to deal with these issues because after 50+ years of story, they still live in a world that fears and hates them. Mutants are still being discriminated against and frankly likely always will just like real world discrimination will always exist to some extent.
    So you feel right about a 11-issue x book which people have high expectations for fighting the same villain from the beginning and the ultimate solution is to ask avengers for help? Ok. But not me. Besides, there was a time when x men dealt with PR issues pretty well until marvel wanted them to have a war with...

Edit: I copied another post of mine here:

Generally, I agree X men and avengers need a fresh start which will be mutually beneficial. If not for a terrible AVX they would not be enemies in the first place. But not before some serious conversations & lots of bridge building and the way avengers just appeared in red declaring to the world we are besties now is not very convincing to me.

Collaboration with avengers is nothing wrong, but the reason shouldn’t be to prove something, and it shouldn’t have been arranged in the final issues of Red yet looked so random.
    Last edited by Cyyyke; 11-07-2018 at 08:59 PM.
    "He did it. Summers did it."
    "I don't understand...What exactly did Cyclops do?"
    "He kept his people alive."

Okay, things I like about this issue: the art isn't as good as it was under Carmen Carnero but it was good; Gabby actually made me laugh when she was saluting Cap; it makes sense to use the Avengers to lend legitimacy to Jean's team. I really tried, I flipped through the issue more than a few times, but that's it.

Things I didn't like: Cassandra is not a threat at all, she's been wasted in this ongoing; it's silly that Gabby had to give Jean the obvious strategy plan; the "news" exposition device is bad, using up a valuable page; I understand the use of telepathy-blocking helmets, but their being modeled after Magneto's was a bad idea; is She-Hulk being in her classic look an editorial mistake? I'm not reading Avengers, so I don't know; Iron Man shouldn't need the helmet, and that's not passable because they themselves introduced the problem here; Jean's powers should be gone while she's wearing the helmet; another issue with virtually no tension, and the "fight" in the next issue is sure to be as exciting as the previous ones.

Really, my biggest issues are that Jean, Cassandra, and the struggle between them that we were all waiting for have been wasted in this series. Cassandra is such a non-threat that Jean does not look heroic stopping her.

I also still get a bad taste in my mouth when the Avengers help the X-Men because they're so "good" and "heroic"; I understand that Uncanny Avengers and A+X and other books have been used to mend relations, but still. Ugh. I am not holding this reaction against the book, I think it had plenty of problems without my including this.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    I'm beginning to think Red is the kind of book you should read once, enjoy the fun, put them and never read before a couple of months, at least. Made the mistake of reading the issue two more times and now I can only think "Seems like I jumped the damn gun calling this brilliant".

Maybe I was in too high spirits after finally getting me some Morrison again.
    Yeah, it might be a little cool during your first flip through, but you can see the underlying flaws upon rereads.

The Green Lantern was fantastic, wasn't it?

BANNED

I don't like the idea that anti-TP hats are easy to make but whatevs. Otherwise, the issue was fine.

Still want to see Jean cut loose once before the series is done.