Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Typhoid Fever #1 (Spoilers)

In Typhoid Fever #1 today, Mary has been boosted by young mutant Zachary. She's engulfed herself in a telekinetic bubble and is wreaking havoc in New York. The X-Men try to stop her but when they enter her bubble, she traps them first in a telepathic illusion of a soap opera (to mildly hilarious effect, they're all extra) and then when that fails she begins to try to telepathically revise their pasts. Unfortunately, the only ones to break out of the illusion (for a limited amount of time) in issue one is Spidey, Kurt and Jean.

The story is...weird. I felt like the writer was doing his best to make Typhoid come off as crazy but didn't know how to write "crazy" well. Instead she was just one-upping the X-Men constantly while saying weird stuff.

Out of everyone, Kurt was written the best and was probably the smartest/most well-balanced of the team.

Iceman had the least to do and is the first telepathic casualty. He's out of the story pretty early.

Bishop and Storm I think tie for minor supporting roles. They had a couple lines each but once they get pulled into the telekinetic bubble they have little to do but react to their own hell and later serve as background victims.

Jean is inconsistently written. She wavers between "I know what's going on and I have to stop it/help Mary/save the X-Men!" to "OMG I'm also lost in this telepathic illusion, oh no!"

All in all the issue was less than stellar and the art. Oh my god that art is atrocious. I can't really think of anything positive to say about it other than I like how Kurt was written and I guess the soap opera/love triangle scene was kind of funny...until it wasn't.
    Last edited by Peanutsinspace; 11-07-2018 at 09:11 AM.

This thing ended with a to be continued. Where? I thought this was a oneshot? Poor marketing/editing to know advertise the next issue of this story bc me as a reader doesnt know where to look

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    This thing ended with a to be continued. Where? I thought this was a oneshot? Poor marketing/editing to know advertise the next issue of this story bc me as a reader doesnt know where to look
    3 parts one-shots

Not a bad comic, overall, but really all over the place. I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. It had its moments and I love the idea, but it just didn't do enough in my opinion. Might just wait for the TPB on this.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I liked this more than I was expecting to. I don't know much about Mary but I started to feel bad for her over the course of the issue. The tone is pretty wild though. A lot of the setups seem to be played primarily for comedy and the art looks congruent for that. But then some really disturbing things start happening (like what Mary did with Iceman) but the art remains the same and it's...weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    There are 3 oneshots. A Spider-Man issue, and X-Men issue, and it will conclude with an Iron Fist issue

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    There are 3 oneshots. A Spider-Man issue, and X-Men issue, and it will conclude with an Iron Fist issue
    This is something that should have been relayed within the issue

Incredible Member Infernal-Ginger's Avatar

ugh to that art....the faces