Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Legends of the DC Universe

It appears that in the late 90s and early 2000s, DC tried to duplicate the successful concept of Legends of the Dark Knight and have a series of the same nature except detailing the past of the DC Universe as a whole rather than just the Dark Knight. Obviously Legends of the DC Universe did not last as long as LotDk, nor is it as fondly remembered as that title. However, I am deeply interested in this title.

It featured quite the stellar array of creators

Mike Zeck
    Michael Zuli
    Jamie Delano
    J.M Demateis
    Steve Engelhart
    James Robinson
    Kevin Nowlan

Was it any good? If so what were it's best story arcs/single issues? If not, tell me why it failed.

It wasn't a bad title; it failed because it was unnecessary.

LODK was a Batman title, so it succeeded, but LODCU was an anthology title, which hasn't sold reliably since the 1970s. LODCU was essentially a series of miniseries, so interest would vary depending on the starring character, and many characters were either B-list (Batgirl) or characters who can't really carry a second title.

It lasted 3.5 years, and in today's climate that would be considered pretty good. I'd be very surprised if any of the stories have any bearing on current continuity. Also, I don't think most of these stories have ever been collected in trades.

The only issue that I would really classify as "worth tracking down" is Legends of the DC Universe: Crisis on Infinite Earths one-shot.

It looks like someone did a review of it on YouTube:

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    It wasn't a bad title; it failed because it was unnecessary.

LODK was a Batman title, so it succeeded, but LODCU was an anthology title, which hasn't sold reliably since the 1970s. LODCU was essentially a series of miniseries, so interest would vary depending on the starring character, and many characters were either B-list (Batgirl) or characters who can't really carry a second title.

It lasted 3.5 years, and in today's climate that would be considered pretty good. I'd be very surprised if any of the stories have any bearing on current continuity. Also, I don't think most of these stories have ever been collected in trades.

The only issue that I would really classify as "worth tracking down" is Legends of the DC Universe: Crisis on Infinite Earths one-shot.

It looks like someone did a review of it on YouTube:

Don't forget the two 80-Page Giant issues which have stories that are considered a cut above the ones from the regular series.

Issues 40 and 41 featuring Ray Palmer. This was a fun and fantastic two issue arc! Highly recommend if you can find it.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

I want to read this NOW! Unfortunately it's not available on comixology. To the back issue bins, Robin!

Retired

Just before this run and slightly overlapping with it was ADVENTURES IN THE DC UNIVERSE, which was a Johnny DC title and was supposed to be in the same universe as THE BATMAN ADVENTURES and SUPERMAN ADVENTURES (the Diniverse), but probably not in continuity anymore once JUSTICE LEAGUE ADVENTURES came along.

LEGENDS OF THE DC UNIVERSE had a few good arcs and it's most memorable to me for publishing posthumously some of the final work of the great Gil Kane, in issues 28 and 29 on a Green Lantern/Atom story (Hal and Ray)--two super-heroes he designed and helped co-create.

I think LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT was at its best when it was free to be out of continuity and not necessarily canonical to the current comics. I think that's what LOTDCU should have been, as well. But I'm not really sure where it stood in relation to continuity.