Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Complicated.

On one hand a lot has happened and some characters and mutants in general have been greatly damaged by the acts of some Avengers or perhaps it is better to say by the lack of actions of them. And some seem only to care about mutant issues when that affects them or when they need mutants to become soldiers in their civil wars.

Obviously like many I am already tired of heroes vs heroes and want the two groups to create bonds of friendship and respect but for months we had several moments in both Avengers and X-mens stories where some Avenger (mostly Stark) criticizes the X-mens or some mutant. As much as we wish the schism be forgotten eventually marvel or some writer will impose the schedule of heroes vs heroes again when it is convenient or need a fast boost in sales.

For now I am satisfied if they keep at least the cordiality and a promise of mutual assistance when requested by one side.

BANNED

They shouldn't even be in the same continuity.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I'm so tired of hero v hero drama. I'm so tired of the mess that started with Schism and then bled into AvX and has just continued to get worse and worse and worse.

When was the last time that the Avengers and the X-Men were actually 100% on the same side as one another before this? Second Coming, when the Avengers went to investigate the dome that Bastion erected and - despite their efforts, to be fair - weren't able to help with anything regarding that? That was seven years ago in real time. That's a long time. Since then we've had the unity squad which just operated as a team of Avengers but oh, Rogue is there, and the Avengers standing by while the X-Men dealt with the M-Pox all on their lonesome - and given the era of storytelling that's from, the Avengers would have sided with the Inhumans in the first place.

It's time for all of this team vs team and hero vs hero bullshit to stop. Let both teams retain their individual identities, but it's time for them to blur the lines a little bit. There was bad blood between some of the Avengers and some of the X-Men but Jean wasn't there for that and Steve was literally not the same person at the time, and now the both of them are being set up to be the figureheads of their teams. Let them be allies, and good for each other. If the Avengers need the help of a telepath let them call Jean in. If the X-Men need some big guns, let them call in Thor or Captain Marvel. Carol used to be an X-Man for five whole seconds, remember.

The MU is a world that's teeming with heroes and superpowered individuals. They shouldn't just be inherently kept separate, and the only things to keep things straight with continuity is if some of this stuff happening in these books is referenced in the books attempting to coexist alongside it.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

After AvX and Bendis left there were 5 mutants on the Avengers, the Unity Squad was established, everyone came together to fight the Apocalypse Twins, Kang and Red Onslaught.
    After Secret Wars, the Unity team was still around and an X-Man was also leading their own Avengers team. The main Avengers team was completely ineffectual.

Also Marvel's superheroes don't need to call each other for every situation.

BANNED

They have had a pretty good relationship since Axis, where they stormed Genosha together and ever since no sign of hostility. The second and third volumes of Uncanny Avengers showed they had a good relationship, going as far as having a two-fold plan in case they got the Red Akull. The X-Men were on good terms with the Avengers in Civil War II, which is pretty recent. No one holds them accountable for whatever happened in Secret Empire when mutants got put in New Tian and the Avengers were under Hydra.

So, there's no actual issue between them except for a handful of people that either don't read comics outside of the X-Line or can't let AvX go. It's the fan's fault, as usual.

Generally, I agree X men and avengers need a fresh start which will be mutually beneficial. If not for a terrible AVX they would not be enemies in the first place.

But not before some serious conversations & lots of bridge building and the way avengers just appeared in red declaring to the world we are besties now is not very convincing to me.
    Last edited by Cyyyke; 11-07-2018 at 08:16 PM.
    "He did it. Summers did it."
    "I don't understand...What exactly did Cyclops do?"
    "He kept his people alive."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    So in the most recent issue of X-Men: Red, Jean Grey explicitly calls the Avengers "friends" and calls Captain America by his first name, to which Steve says something like "We should have been here from the beginning". So my first thought was "This is a far cry from AvX!" (Though to be fair, Jean wasn't around for that.)

Though it does make me wonder, what should the default relationship between the two teams be?
    My god, that almost made me vomit.
    The Avengers tried to kill the X-Men, they tried to stop the mutants from growing back as a species.
    And they have always protected and safeguarded the genocidal witch that almost wiped out the entire mutant race. They are just worms.
    God, I'm glad I didn't spend a penny on this book.

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Well.

I can certainly appreciate people wanting to get over the hero vs hero schtick that Marvel can't stop peddling - badly.
    I feel the same way.

But.

Given their direct actions in Decimation, Children's Crusade, AvX, and their general lack of action when mutants faced complete genocide on multiple occasions, I'm just not ready to sing "Kumbaya" with Earth's Mightiest Hypocrites.

But I'm sure that's my fault - somehow.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    Well.

I can certainly appreciate people wanting to get over the hero vs hero schtick that Marvel can't stop peddling - badly.
    I feel the same way.

But.

Given their direct actions in Decimation, Children's Crusade, AvX, and their general lack of action when mutants faced complete genocide on multiple occasions, I'm just not ready to sing "Kumbaya" with Earth's Mightiest Hypocrites.

But I'm sure that's my fault - somehow.
    No I totally get where you're coming from.

A mostly friendly one going forward with the occasional crossover between heroes. I'd like to see different characters from each universes mesh more. There's already been some like Wolverine whose been on like 4 Avengers teams now and Rogue who was the leader of one. Wouldn't mind seeing others join every once in a while or even having an Avenger join the X-books for a bit

I fully understand that as far as Marvel is concerned, this question has been answered - I still don't think that things are properly settled, although I admit that I am clearly a little biased, but I want to introduce a point that I don't think gets raised often: I like many of the Avengers and I like many of their stories, but when they are placed into a story with the X-Men, I don't like that. If I'm reading an Avengers book or a solo book of one of the Avengers, I can enjoy it or criticize it for what it is, but the last few years worth of stories from Marvel regarding the X-Men and their relations with the Avengers/Inhumans/the hero community prevents me from waiting for the shoe to drop every time the teams are in the same book.

Marvel can make it work again, but their creative decisions have not filled me with confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    A mostly friendly one going forward with the occasional crossover between heroes. I'd like to see different characters from each universes mesh more. There's already been some like Wolverine whose been on like 4 Avengers teams now and Rogue who was the leader of one. Wouldn't mind seeing others join every once in a while or even having an Avenger join the X-books for a bit
    I would nominate Hawkeye to join an X-squad - anything to get him out of WCA...

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I fully understand that as far as Marvel is concerned, this question has been answered - I still don't think that things are properly settled, although I admit that I am clearly a little biased, but I want to introduce a point that I don't think gets raised often: I like many of the Avengers and I like many of their stories, but when they are placed into a story with the X-Men, I don't like that. If I'm reading an Avengers book or a solo book of one of the Avengers, I can enjoy it or criticize it for what it is, but the last few years worth of stories from Marvel regarding the X-Men and their relations with the Avengers/Inhumans/the hero community prevents me from waiting for the shoe to drop every time the teams are in the same book.

Marvel can make it work again, but their creative decisions have not filled me with confidence.
    I can agree with this. IMO the crossovers work best when both teams are operating as pure superheroes. When they try hard to incorporate the mutant metaphor, it gets dicey and characters start looking bad. Thing is that is a major part of the X-Men so utilizing a crossover without that on a team scale (so single characters can easily work with each other), it shows the weaknesses of the Avengers and the X-Men living in a shared universe.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    So in the most recent issue of X-Men: Red, Jean Grey explicitly calls the Avengers "friends" and calls Captain America by his first name, to which Steve says something like "We should have been here from the beginning". So my first thought was "This is a far cry from AvX!" (Though to be fair, Jean wasn't around for that.)

Though it does make me wonder, what should the default relationship between the two teams be?

Petty highschool bitches

I can agree with this. IMO the crossovers work best when both teams are operating as pure superheroes. When they try hard to incorporate the mutant metaphor, it gets dicey and characters start looking bad.
    The X-Men ARE the Mutant metaphor
    Last edited by BroHomo; 11-07-2018 at 09:41 PM.

I can agree with this. IMO the crossovers work best when both teams are operating as pure superheroes. When they try hard to incorporate the mutant metaphor, it gets dicey and characters start looking bad. Thing is that is a major part of the X-Men so utilizing a crossover without that on a team scale (so single characters can easily work with each other), it shows the weaknesses of the Avengers and the X-Men living in a shared universe.
    Yeah, that's a good point, but I'd be more willing to forgive or ignore that if Marvel hadn't screwed up so badly with so many hero vs hero and heroes-as-villains stories.