Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    (I can’t remember whether Jack Sparrow uses a rapier or a cutlass and I loathe those films )
    Neither. He uses a hanger.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    That's dumb.
    No, it’s a different view from yours.

You may disagree with Chou and Hiromi (and me for that matter). That’s absolutely fine.

But that doesn’t make their/our view ‘dumb’.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post

You may disagree with Chou and Hiromi (and me for that matter). That’s absolutely fine.

I am entitled to my opinion. Personally I think wanting an amazing concept to be wasted by never using it again is dumb. As I said, that's my opinion and I am entitled to it. You disagree, fine, that's your opinion.

My own brother once replied "that's ridiculous" to something I thought. I disagreed but I accepted that was his opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post

Exactly. Opinions. Opinions do not change anything just what people view. But to degrade a opinion is not really, well classy.

Yes High Lander is a awesome concept, yes there could have always been more sword fighting, bad ass immortals and everything. Hell I feel it could have a reboot, if the source material is respected and could be made into a series ( Fat chance of a worthy reboot though.)

In my viewing I felt it was a movie the studio thought would not sale so the way plot was, it honestly did not need a sequel. Clear cut dry movie.

There are two things High Lander I accept in a alternative universe deal that are awesome.

The animated series ( true sword and sorcery and made the Kurgan even scarier.)

The anime ( which was fucking awesome. It was Mad Max and Hifhlander had a anime baby.)

Edit: I am not saying the concept could not be done again and again. You just have to give a shit about actual plot.
    Last edited by The Chou Lives; 11-18-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Another strength feat I forgot for Connor is in his very first fight, he cuts through his opponent's neck and several inches into a reinforced concrete pillar.

And now I'm imagining that Connor MacLeod is the guy who wrote Katanas Are Underpowered in d20.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 11-18-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I would argue that Highlander 1 didn't need any sequels since it ended pretty conclusively, but prequels and alternative continuities would have been fine.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I would argue that Highlander 1 didn't need any sequels since it ended pretty conclusively, but prequels and alternative continuities would have been fine.
    I like Highlander 2 goddamnit. Original cut with the fairy tale ending fuck the haters. It was an actually interesting story to do with an immortal character, though it's got a lot of issues.

Also the scene where he walks out of the fire and he's young again is great.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

My own little headcanon for some weird twisted humor is that in another universe (seriously, that's all I can see when it comes to Highlander as I can't see a true sequel to this one first film), the whole thing was just some crazy test...As Connor gets the job and title of Raiden, god of thunder. And he has to gather heroes to participate in Mortal Kombat...Which makes the first Live Action Mortal Kombat film a sequel spinoff to that universe's take on Highlander. Oh, and his girlfriend Brenda lives in this version...Cause having her killed off per installment was getting ridiculous.

...Don't mind me, I think of silly stuff like this....Like how John Connor was just a persona that became reality thanks to time travel.

I liked Highlander the Series as well.

Oh, it varied in quality and it had its iffy performances and it’s true that it changed a lot of the Highlander mythos from the first film, what with its endless supply of immortals, but it was an entertaining series with memorable episodes, and some surprising appearances. For example, Richard Ridings for a couple of episodes! Always good to see him. And Alexandra Vandernoot as Tessa, who I then was surprised to see when I watched the French film Le Diner des Cons. And both Roger Daltrey and Roland Gift, as if one of them wouldn’t be enough (Not Highlander The Raven though, that seriously sucked.)

I’d be happy in any case if the series rules that a mortal blow would temporarily incapacitate an immortal applied, because otherwise Connor is going to have a serious advantage in this fight.

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Another strength feat I forgot for Connor is in his very first fight, he cuts through his opponent's neck and several inches into a reinforced concrete pillar.

And now I'm imagining that Connor MacLeod is the guy who wrote Katanas Are Underpowered in d20.
    I mean the majority of all the swords in Highlander are just various Hollywood nonsense anyway, it going with the Katana meme isn't even close to the biggest sin it commits against actual sword accuracy

TAKE IT AWAY SKALLAGRIM

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
    To be fair to the Witch-King, I doubt any man-sized combatant on that field would have stayed standing after having that dagger shoved through the back of their knee.
    It's just that normally him getting stabbed in the knee by someone would have resulted in that person's sword breaking and THEM being crippled, not him.

That Merry's dagger was chock-full of Anti-Witchking stuff was what made the difference.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Well to be fair the sword was still destroyed and Merry was still near killed, it just unloaded the centuries old anti witch king magic stuff first

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Well to be fair the sword was still destroyed and Merry was still near killed, it just unloaded the centuries old anti witch king magic stuff first
    Absolutely. Basically, the important thing was that it dumped its payload. ^_^

Edit: I honestly had no clue there was a heated debate going on in another thread regarding 'payload'. O_o
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 11-19-2018 at 08:52 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Exactly. Opinions. Opinions do not change anything just what people view. But to degrade a opinion is not really, well classy.
    You're absolutely right. Sorry about before. I'll try not to let it happen again.

Yes High Lander is a awesome concept, yes there could have always been more sword fighting, bad ass immortals and everything. Hell I feel it could have a reboot, if the source material is respected and could be made into a series ( Fat chance of a worthy reboot though.)

In my viewing I felt it was a movie the studio thought would not sale so the way plot was, it honestly did not need a sequel. Clear cut dry movie.
    Saying it doesn't "need" a sequel is like saying you don't need a Ferrari. That doesn't mean you shouldn't get a Ferrari.

There are two things High Lander I accept in a alternative universe deal that are awesome.

The animated series ( true sword and sorcery and made the Kurgan even scarier.)

The anime ( which was fucking awesome. It was Mad Max and Hifhlander had a anime baby.)

Edit: I am not saying the concept could not be done again and again. You just have to give a shit about actual plot.
    Personally I don't really care about plot. If it's a great world/concept and or has great characters than I say use it. Leaving it at just one movie is a waste.

Anyway, I really think you'd love the TV series if you gave it a chance.