Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I really don't see how the death of the Witch King could be interpreted as a feat for Éowyn.

Also, seems sort of ... a weak argument, to take issue with the word 'absolutely', given the context of Sharp's comment. She pretty much IS absolutely wrecked, that she barely managed to flounder about and stab him in the face with the dregs of her 'might' at the end doesn't much change that.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Ah, 99% wrecked isn't 100% wrecked, so...I'm fine with amending. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

So Eowyn would join Leonidas and Achilles in really being weakened by the lack of a shield, Essentially she, and Rohan in general, seems to use a viking/migration era sword paired with a round shield. That's a pretty good combo, but without the shield you're left with a shorter sword without adequate hand protection. (The shield is used to guard the hand. No quillions.)

She is better off than either of the classical guys in this regard, however. They have really short swords.

But suddenly he too stumbled forward with a cry of bitter pain, and his stroke went wide, driving into the ground. Merry’s sword had stabbed him from behind, shearing through the black mantle, and passing up beneath the hauberk had pierced the sinew behind his mighty knee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Merry shanks him.
    To be fair to the Witch-King, I doubt any man-sized combatant on that field would have stayed standing after having that dagger shoved through the back of their knee.
    ---

Sincerely,

Melchior, the Geddon Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
    To be fair to the Witch-King, I doubt any man-sized combatant on that field would have stayed standing after having that dagger shoved through the back of their knee.
    I think it was a critical hit for 200% damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
    You'd actually be surprised. Adrenaline is a hell of a thing.

Well if you stab someone in the back of the knee you're likely taking out several key ligaments that are fairly important to it functioning mechanically and possibly resulting in a dislocation of the knee

basically all the adrenaline in the world doesn't help if your knee is mechanically incapable of keeping you upright

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Well if you stab someone in the back of the knee you're likely taking out several key ligaments that are fairly important to it functioning mechanically and possibly resulting in a dislocation of the knee

basically all the adrenaline in the world doesn't help if your knee is mechanically incapable of keeping you upright
    Unless you're a bear.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Ah, 99% wrecked isn't 100% wrecked, so...I'm fine with amending. ^_^
    99% rekt needs to be a new meme.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Unless you're a bear.
    Or one of the guards in Skyrim.

Actually, in hindsight, the knee stabbing could have been some kind of mild Achille's heel reference.

Or maybe not, since it basically went like

Witch King: u come at me u gonna get rekt son

Eowyn: im a gril

Witch King: o **** *gets stabbed in the knee*

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    I think only the show, which may as well be taking place in another universe yet it's the most extensive on how this immortality and game stuff works, covers this by saying no, you can regenerate limbs hacked off. Any vitals struck won't do jack other than a ten count depending on the immortal's durability. But losing limbs? Yeah, I think it's just gone unless they made confirmation that it can be reattached.
    Correct. In "For Tomorrow We Die" Xavier St. Cloud's hand was severed but he got away. In his next appearance ("Unholy Alliance Pt. I") he had replaced his hand with a hook. So no, Immortals cannot regenerate limbs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives
    I Never bothered with the show as it further bastardized the series from original and they had Duncan kill Connor ( who had pretty much gave up.)
    You should watch it. "Highlander: The Series" is one of the best series ever shown on television and has tons of cool sword fights. I'll watch it over that "Game of Thrones" thing any day. I understand being sore about killing off Connor but that wasn't until the movie "Highlander: Endgame" which was set AFTER the series.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives
    Plus immortals showing powers that were not shown in original movie ( Like freaking portals.)
    That never happened. Yes Garrick had psychic abilities (clairvoyance and projecting hallucinations), Cassandra & Kantos had mind control powers and Coltec could empathically heal wounded psyches but those abilities were all unrelated to their Immortality.

Portals? Not sure where you got that from.

The portals where from a Highlander movie, 3 or 4. Either way did not bother with it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    The portals where from a Highlander movie, 3 or 4. Either way did not bother with it.
    I have watched every Highlander movie (even the dreck that was Highlander: The Source) and there are no portals in any of them. I suspect you are thinking of a scene from a trailer for Highlander: Endgame. A scene that was not included in the movie.

I apologise if I seem pushy but I love Highlander: The Series. It's an awesome show and you are really missing out.

There were no Highlander movies after the first one, it was a decent albeit under budgeted film that was nicely self contained with a satisfying ending that they certainly didn't run into the damn ground with subsequent awful awful cashgrab sequels. What is this silliness you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    There were no Highlander movies after the first one, it was a decent albeit under budgeted film that was nicely self contained with a satisfying ending that they certainly didn't run into the damn ground with subsequent awful awful cashgrab sequels. What is this silliness you're talking about?
    You and me both agree here. It was a movie that did not need sequels, so it did not.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    You and me both agree here. It was a movie that did not need sequels, so it did not.
    That's dumb.

Highlander is an amazing concept with tons of potential for great action, stories and characters. How many other franchises allow us to have cool sword fights in the modern day with a huge variety of swords used? Not many. It needed sequels to keep such a brilliant concept being wasted.

And again, the TV series was the best thing about the entire franchise. Not only did we get tons of amazing sword fights and great new Immortal characters, we also got Duncan MacLeod, a better protagonist than Connor seeing as:

A) A series allowed him to have more development.

B) Adrian Paul is an actual martial arts expert.

Highlander: The Series was a huge inspiration to me, an inspiration that I wouldn't have gotten if it had stopped at the movie. You want proof? Look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkT5d0iQ9T8
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 11-18-2018 at 08:43 AM.