Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I hope they retcon all the retcons.
    Grant Morrison's trying his best.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

What won't be retconned in the future? I think that's the easier question, like Krypton exploding for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    What won't be retconned in the future? I think that's the easier question, like Krypton exploding for example.
    Batman's origin.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Batman's origin.
    I almost wanted to say everyone's origin, but not even Wonder Woman is safe from that.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Batman's origin.
    Definitely, though the amazing thing is that it wasn't retconned or just ignored a few years after it was created in 1940 (for the same reasons why the Joker and others stopped murdering people). I guess it already was an indelible part of Batman's history by then.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Even excluding the superhero exploits, navigating through your general adult life without your parents is generally less easy. Not insurmountable though, because he made it to early adulthood with them in his life and had their lessons as a foundation to make it through the rest of it on his own.
    I think it depends on how it's handled. Having your parents around can potentially make things even more difficult for you depending on the situation.
    Again, it adds a sense of bitter sweetness that lends a bit more credence to his stance that you can overcome obstacles and be hopeful. The death of a parent/loved one is sad, but also part of life and nobody, not even Superman, can prevent it. It's an important life lesson to instill in a character who struggles off and on with the perception of being considered too powerful and not having enough relateable challenges in his life. Bringing them back undoes that bit of character development for him with little to no gain in exchange. At least with Jonathan, you can probably get away with splitting the difference and leaving Martha alive.
    I mean, his entire planet got blown up so I think one way or another there's going to be a level of bittersweetness in Superman's life.

If you want to do a story where a loved one dies and Superman can't do anything about it, then that's fair, but you could probably do that with anyone instead of just the Kent's and I don't think it's a lesson that is necessary for every Superman story.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it depends on how it's handled. Having your parents around can potentially make things even more difficult for you depending on the situation.
    When has them being around ever posed a difficulty? Beyond just being more civilian loved ones that could potentially be harmed by enemies?

I mean, his entire planet got blown up so I think one way or another there's going to be a level of bittersweetness in Superman's life.
    He doesn't have any memories of Krypton though, so while it's sad it doesn't effect him nearly as much as it does Kara. Why not have have both the destruction of Krypton and the death of the Kents/Jonathan? It's not like they are two events that happen back to back in short succession with nothing in between. He has a happy life with them and then they/Jonathan dies, but said happy life allows him to grief and be well adjusted and cherish the time he had with them.

If you want to do a story where a loved one dies and Superman can't do anything about it, then that's fair, but you could probably do that with anyone instead of just the Kent's and I don't think it's a lesson that is necessary for every Superman story.
    Nobody's asking for it to be in every Superman story. An event in his life is not every story.

Why do it with anyone else when the Kents, specifically Jonathan, have already filled that role for significant stretches of time? The alternative would be to sacrifice one of the other less expendable supporting characters or some one-shot character nobody cares about. And why keep them around/go to the trouble of bringing them back to be sounding boards when you can do it with anyone else?

Astonishing Member

Batman's origin.
    Has Joe Chill been pretty much written off?

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Besides the "whodunnit" bit, the whole thing with his parents biting it in Crime Alley in front of his eyes I imagine will remain forever part of his mythos.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Batman's origin.
    Can we just go back to Year One? It was much better.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    When has them being around ever posed a difficulty? Beyond just being more civilian loved ones that could potentially be harmed by enemies?

He doesn't have any memories of Krypton though, so while it's sad it doesn't effect him nearly as much as it does Kara. Why not have have both the destruction of Krypton and the death of the Kents/Jonathan? It's not like they are two events that happen back to back in short succession with nothing in between. He has a happy life with them and then they/Jonathan dies, but said happy life allows him to grief and be well adjusted and cherish the time he had with them.

Nobody's asking for it to be in every Superman story. An event in his life is not every story.

Why do it with anyone else when the Kents, specifically Jonathan, have already filled that role for significant stretches of time? The alternative would be to sacrifice one of the other less expendable supporting characters or some one-shot character nobody cares about. And why keep them around/go to the trouble of bringing them back to be sounding boards when you can do it with anyone else?
    Yeah Krypton’s death was only a tragedy for Supes when he considered himself Kryptonian first and foremost, with Clark Kent just being a disguise. In the modern era of Supes considering himself human it really doesn’t pack the same punch for him personally anymore, which is where the Kents deaths comes in.

Before anything Roy and Wally deaths.

Mighty Member

Besides the "whodunnit" bit, the whole thing with his parents biting it in Crime Alley in front of his eyes I imagine will remain forever part of his mythos.
    Yeah they retconned the randomness of Chill into being a mob hit...I think they then retconned that retcon.

Astonishing Member

Beast Boy being a monster.

Donna Troy's backstory(hopefully for the last time)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Joe Chill himself was added later to the origin, and he his exact history was also changed a few times. The first retcon was iirc that he got the order to kill the Waynes from Lew Moxton.