Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I think the Titans history is currently a mess and primed for a reboot...we've had references to Hotspot (Jurgens' TT) and Cyborg (Wolfman's NTT) as past members, yet those histories never happened based on the nu52/Rebirth continuity. I suspect after the dust settles from Doomsday Clock and the "lost ten years" the Titans/Teen Titans history will be altered. I suspect the same reboot will bounce Roy and Wally back into being alive, and Donna back to being sober .

Similarly, I think the JLA history will be altered to acknowledge the satellite era (which has been creeping into continuity...but never happened). Ray Palmer and J'onn have been acknowledged as past members even though their eras never happened.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

And Wally and Roy will probaly also return at some point.
    I think this will be accomplished without the use of retcon.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Kori

Starfire... Please

Dan DiDio being in charge?

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Ma and Pa Kent being dead (I hope).
    But don't forget, they had previously been dead from 1938-1986. So that was 48 years with them not being alive when Kal-El was an adult vs. 25 years of at least one of them still being alive.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Dan DiDio being in charge?
    Word. It's obvious at this point that he's such an insecure Barry Allen fan that the mere existence of Wally is a threat to his favorite. 0

But don't forget, they had previously been dead from 1938-1986. So that was 48 years with them not being alive when Kal-El was an adult vs. 25 years of at least one of them still being alive.
    Yeah, but that change in the Byrne reboot made sense, since they previously died of old age, because people died younger in those 40+ years. By the 1980s, and especially by now, people live to way higher ages. The New52 changed the deaths to a car accident, so a violent, premature death that feels way too tragic for Superman.

As might be obvious this far into my post, I second that Wally's death will most likely be retconned, probably by the point of the end of Doomsday Clock (or the Crisis event that will spin off of it). That's why I can't get too upset about his death.
    Roy, though, might stay dead (at least for a long while). His whole arc for years, if not decades, went into the direction of a tragic death.

It's also kinda obvious that Doomsday Clock is working towards retconning the JSA back into existence. Same for the LoSH, as DC has rejected high-profile Legion pitches with the comment that it's reserved for Geoff Johns.

Basically, I expect there to be a Crisis-like reboot/revamp following Doomsday Clock that will change a whole lot of things.

Btw, as Wonder Woman had been mentioned a few times, did I miss something, or did they actually ignore the retconned origin from the Rucka run? That was weird.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Superman living on a farm for 10+ years to keep his son safe.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Superman living on a farm for 10+ years to keep his son safe.
    I think that's already put out by the roadside. Thankfully.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    King's batman run.
    Ha. I was thinking this exact same thing. His entire run is bound to get retconned since it makes zero sense and has pretty much ruined multiple characters.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I really doubt that. Much as it’s disliked on here it’s also a top seller. I see a lot of complaints for Johns stuff but his JL basically survived Rebirth unscathed, as his GL run survived the reboot unscathed.
    Batman is a top seller. It doesn’t matter who writes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Batman is a top seller. It doesn’t matter who writes it.
    Would that still apply even if they had either of the Finches or Rob Liefeld as the main writer(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Would that still apply even if they had either of the Finches or Rob Liefeld as the main writer(s)?
    I think so. People would complain like hell, but they'd still buy that ****. Especially if David Finch were doing the art, as well.

Zero Year. And hopefully the rest of Snyder's inventions with it.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

You'd think that people would have had enough of silly retcons.

I look around me and I see...it isn't so.

Some people want to fill the world with silly retcons.

And what's wrong with that?

I'd like to know...

...'cause here I go...

...AGAIN!

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Unfortunately for those who hate King's run or any run on Batman, it being a top seller means they are pretty much **** outta luck if they want it to be retconned. Top sales means it's working as far as the company is concerned.

I expect Wonder Woman and Superman will suffer more retcons eventually even if they are on (relatively) solid ground right now.

I'd like Donna's various origins after her original to be put right in the trash, and for the Titans' full history to be restored. And that means Vic being a JL founder needs to be retconned out. I can understand why they wouldn't, but it's a completely useless alteration to his backstory. I'd much prefer he be a JL member in the present, but he should have been a Teen Titan as part of Dick's generation first.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    Yeah, but that change in the Byrne reboot made sense, since they previously died of old age, because people died younger in those 40+ years. By the 1980s, and especially by now, people live to way higher ages. The New52 changed the deaths to a car accident, so a violent, premature death that feels way too tragic for Superman.
    Vyndktvx killing the Kents is perhaps a bit much, though the Saturn Girl comforting them as they died and connecting them telepathically was beautiful. I'd rather the Kents remain dead, or at least only have Martha be alive. Jonathan serves no useful narrative purpose beyond the origin stories, his death of natural causes when Clark is transitioning to adulthood and teaching him that he can't solve everything even with his great power is vital to Clark's development. His story seems much more shallow and less inspirational without that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    Btw, as Wonder Woman had been mentioned a few times, did I miss something, or did they actually ignore the retconned origin from the Rucka run? That was weird.
    No, for once they've been pretty consistent with it. They've been firm in their stance that she's a daughter of Zeus, but the Amazons resemble their classic selves again. And Zeus is no longer the source of her power.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Unfortunately for those who hate King's run or any run on Batman, it being a top seller means they are pretty much **** outta luck if they want it to be retconned. Top sales means it's working as far as the company is concerned.
    I don't foresee a full-out retcon of the run but I think some of his more unpopular character work (particularly with Holly Robinson and Booster Gold) won't stick.