Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    They presented Cyborg has Justice League member in almost every incarnation of the League in Other Media (live action, animated movies, lego movies, games) I don't think they will change that soon.
    But he's still also fairly prominent as a Titan character in the cartoons as well.

If the Justice League live action movie with Cyborg had done better critically a commercially, I think it would be a different story as far as how vital Cyborg is to the League moving forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't think it's entirely a generational thing. I'm a millennial, and although I didn't read the comics at the time I watched S:TAS and my parents watched Lois & Clark, so I too have some exposure to the Kents being alive. But they didn't leave much of an impression on me, and looking at the post-Crisis history, I don't see much need for Jonathan in particular to be around. Superman talking about hope and optimism doesn't work as much with the idealic life Byrne gave him. All-Star Superman #6 is perfect for showcasing this, but much like in that issue, I think you can get away with keeping Martha alive.
    I'm the opposite in that I'm also a millenial who grew up with the Kents being around and actually enjoy their presence, even if I try not to be dogged about it.

I don't think the kind of lifestyle you have should impact whether you are able to speak about "hope and optimism."
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    That probably will happen eventually, but I don't think Holly is that major of a character for the Bat-mythos for them to be overly concerned with it.
    Not the Bat-Mythos per se, but I can see a future Catwoman writer undoing it.
    Booster is another thing, but that whole weird mess seems to tie more into HiC than the Batman run as a whole.
    True, though it started with his Batman run.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think they will retcon the idea that Joker created Harley Quinn - they'll make it so that she's the one that drive him crazy in the first place and that they never had a "relationship" - that he was a stalker and it was all in his head, even to the point he dressed up others to look like her in some instances.
    With the way they've been handling Harley I would honestly not be surprised if they try and give her even more agency in her origin, short of just outright retconning how much of a villain she ever was (or if she was ever even really with Joker).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    . . . I'm the opposite in that I'm also a millenial who grew up with the Kents being around and actually enjoy their presence, even if I try not to be dogged about it. . .
    I'm a tail-end baby boomer who grew up with the Kents already having been dead when Kal-El became Superman and wasn't all that convinced that changing it so they were still alive would be a good move, but I think in the end it added a lot to Superman's character, making him seem less isolated.
    That said, I have no problem if they want to continue with them dying when Clark was younger and still in Smallville. I do hope they undo Jor-El having survived the explosion of Krypton and then becoming the whacko Mr. Oz, however.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'd say Grail and WW's twin brother, but since Johns created them then I guess he might have some interest in keeping them "alive"?
    Grail at least will be showing up in Wilson's first arc in Wonder Woman, if for no other reason than to explain Ares's new status quo.

I'm the opposite in that I'm also a millenial who grew up with the Kents being around and actually enjoy their presence, even if I try not to be dogged about it.

I don't think the kind of lifestyle you have should impact whether you are able to speak about "hope and optimism."
    When we're dealing with a fictional character that needs to be marketed a certain way and have a sense of drama in his life, I think his lifestyle is kind of important to an extent. Superman already has an uphill climb with dealing with the stigma of being too powerful, too perfect, and being outdated. Making him a popular football star in high school and having both of his parents around is a bit much, IMO. Especially as his pre-Crisis life wasn't exceedingly difficult, it just had more ups and downs. He had to deal with knowing he was adopted and feeling like an outcast, but he still had Pete, Lana, Krypto and the Legion. His father died and he was unable to prevent it, but it happened as he was becoming an adult and he had a happy life with his father up until that point with a solid emotional foundation to guide him in life.

Plus, aside from just hanging around and providing some occasional feel-good scenes of them all interacting, I don't know what the Kents really add to Clark's adult life. If it has to be done, I think it works better with just Martha, as she would get all the focus.

Not the Bat-Mythos per se, but I can see a future Catwoman writer undoing it.
    With Bane's elaborate troll job somehow involving both time travel (Skeets) and alternate dimensions (Thomas Wayne Batman), King himself may even be the one to resolve this weirdness with Holly.

True, though it started with his Batman run.
    Yeah, I haven't gotten the trade yet, but thankfully it seems skippalbe so far. It's the only part of his run that I consider to be outright bad based on its reputation. I'm also not that into Booster so it doesn't bother me that much, but I'd prefer if it didn't happen or King somehow resolves it satisfactorily with HiC (which I'm also trade waiting/waiting to see how it ends up before investing).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm a tail-end baby boomer who grew up with the Kents already having been dead when Kal-El became Superman and wasn't all that convinced that changing it so they were still alive would be a good move, but I think in the end it added a lot to Superman's character, making him seem less isolated.
    That said, I have no problem if they want to continue with them dying when Clark was younger and still in Smallville. I do hope they undo Jor-El having survived the explosion of Krypton and then becoming the whacko Mr. Oz, however.
    Yeah, this crap is dumb. I require nothing more of Jor-El and Lara than being space dust after putting the baby in the rocket.

BANNED

The Flash's mother's death will be recton again into not dying when Barry was a kid.

Also restoring the Teen Titans history to its fullest. Along with Cyborg's history with the Teen Titans.

Plus cleaning up the Batman's "Robin Problem" along with Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown's connection with the Batman family.

The Kents being alive again and helping Clark and Lois trying to raise Jonathan. Oh and have a more connected moment with Supergirl.
    Last edited by Cmbmool; 11-09-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    The Flash's mother's death will be recton again into not dying when Barry was a kid.

Also restoring the Teen Titans history to its fullest. Along with Cyborg's history with the Teen Titans.

Plus cleaning up the Batman's "Robin Problem" along with Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown's connection with the Batman family.

The Kents being alive again and helping Clark and Lois trying to raise Jonathan. Oh and have a more connected moment with Supergirl.
    Cass and Steph at least got hints of their history being brought back (at least as each character's run as Batgirl). The rest, I can wish, but other it being hinted at with Cyborg in Justice League Odyssey, there hasn't been much of anything for the rest of those.

It's not just that Barry's Mother died when Barry was a kid; the retcon had her murdered (by time-travelling Eobard Thawne) with her murder then blamed on Barry's Father!

And much as I'd love to have DC ditch that, as others have pointed out, it may not be as likely considering how much it's found it's way into things other than just a bunch of comic books.

Astonishing Member

I don't know if this is the thread for this, but I want that the Teen Titans of Lobdell was retconned.

It seems it's hapenning, since the DCU app says this about New52 Superboy:

--When the 5th Dimensional Imp Mister Mxyzptlk staged a prolonged physical and emotional attack on Superman, the battle resulted in Superman's timeline changing, and in this new reality, the post-FLASHPOINT version of Superboy and all of his adventures never existed. Whether the original Cadmus version of Superboy will reappear remains to be seen.--

I think the ending of the New 52 "All-Star Western" comic will be retconned someday.
    DC, please give Jonah Hex a new solo.

I hope the Kents or at least Martha comes back. I always loved the idea that the most powerful being on the planet can go back to his childhood home and be “mothered”. Ma Kent worrying that Clark is getting enough to eat and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    They presented Cyborg has Justice League member in almost every incarnation of the League in Other Media (live action, animated movies, lego movies, games) I don't think they will change that soon.
    I feel pretty much everything DC's done with Cyborg being a founder was trying to boost him to A-list status when the movie eventually got made. But with the JL movie a flop and that Ray Fisher Cyborg flick almost certainly not happening anytime soon, they may not have an incentive to keep trying to make fetch happen.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I think at this point Nora's murder is set in concrete.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

But would that mean he was with the Teen Titans prior to joining the Justice League?
    Which would be extremely silly if Vic was still a JL founder, of course. The Justice League created first and then the Teen Titans, IMO.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I feel pretty much everything DC's done with Cyborg being a founder was trying to boost him to A-list status when the movie eventually got made. But with the JL movie a flop and that Ray Fisher Cyborg flick almost certainly not happening anytime soon, they may not have an incentive to keep trying to make fetch happen.
    Yes, with the biggest possible other media push ending up as a complete dud, I have to wonder why they are still bothering with this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Which would be extremely silly if Vic was still a JL founder, of course. The Justice League created first and then the Teen Titans, IMO.
    I agree, too, which is why I questioned:
    Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    They could just reference Cyborg's past as a former Titan and still keep him in the Justice League.
    Until they decide/declare that Vic wasn't a founding member of the Justice League and doesn't have the Apokoliptian technology that is the non-human part of his body, it seems a bit silly to assume they're going back to the pre-Flashpoint days where Vic was originally a member of the Teen Titans and only later became a member of the Justice League (back in the days when Dick was Batman).

I agree, too, which is why I questioned:Until they decide/declare that Vic wasn't a founding member of the Justice League and doesn't have the Apokoliptian technology that is the non-human part of his body, it seems a bit silly to assume they're going back to the pre-Flashpoint days where Vic was originally a member of the Teen Titans and only later became a member of the Justice League (back in the days when Dick was Batman).
    Yep. It just doesn't compute at all.