Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The Green Lantern #1 Discussion (SPOILERS)

Didn't see a thread for this issue, thought I'd kick one off.

What did you think?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Didn't see a thread for this issue, thought I'd kick one off.

What did you think?
    Try the search function in the top right corner of the CBR Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Try the search function in the top right corner of the CBR Forums.
    Hey!

Tib, a lot of the discussion is happening over in this thread...

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-Green-Lantern

"First Issue" discussion picks up with post #235 on page 16. Here's a link...

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4009744

Saw that, but didn't feel it was a dedicated thread for a single issue. I always prefer a dedicated discussion thread for an issue, but if that it not the best practice I'll go with the general Morrison GL thread.

I don't know that there's a common practice - it usually just sorts itself out depending on where people end up posting more and how much discussion a series generates.

More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

I have something to say about this. After the invisible spectrum proved such a problem for the lanterns, why then do the Guardians now claim to control it?
    T (57).jpg
    I mean "all scales and wavelengths" has to include IR and UV, right? Doesn't the statement contradict recent events?
    Last edited by thetrellan; 11-12-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thetrellan View Post
    I have something to say about this. After the invisible spectrum proved such a problem for the lanterns, why then do the Guardians now claim to control it?
    T (57).jpg
    I mean "all scales and wavelengths" has to include IR and UV, right? Doesn't the statement contradict recent events?
    My view is that the Guardians always knew about the Invisible Spectrum, they just kept it secret from the GLCorps because they didn't need to know about it yet. Now that the cat's out of the bag, there's no point in continuing to be quiet about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    My view is that the Guardians always knew about the Invisible Spectrum, they just kept it secret from the GLCorps because they didn't need to know about it yet. Now that the cat's out of the bag, there's no point in continuing to be quiet about it.
    Yeah, but if they already control that part of the spectrum, as well as all others, that raises the issue of why the Guardians seem now to be screwing with their own forces. Why did they let UV troops corrupt their own? Why did they let the Reds do what they wanted? Why in Oa's name would they ever allow Larfleeze free agency?

And if, in fact, they now control all these things only recently? How the hell did that happen??

If this doesn't lead into something that makes sense of this statement, it will like Morrison just stepped into things completely ignorant. Or worse, doing what Bendis did with Superman, and simply choosing to ignore developments in favor of some continuity that didn't happen, but is really what he wishes had happened.
    Last edited by thetrellan; 11-12-2018 at 07:11 PM.

T (57).jpg
    something worrisome about that "we already know who it be. now do you understand?" line.

T (57).jpg
    I don't think that's referring to the Invisible Spectrum, just that the radio lanterns, microwave lanterns, etc, are all part of the Green Lantern Corps. It's like saying they have big lanterns, small lanterns, Green Lanterns of every size, and likewise have recruited energy-based beings from across all wavelengths. They're no more connected to the Invisible Spectrum than Arisia is connected to the Orange Lantern because of her orange skin.

Yeah, but if they already control that part of the spectrum, as well as all others, that raises the issue of why the Guardians seem now to be screwing with their own forces. Why did they let UV troops corrupt their own? Why did they let the Reds do what they wanted? Why in Oa's name would they ever allow Larfleeze free agency?

And if, in fact, they now control all these things only recently? How the hell did that happen??

If this doesn't lead into something that makes sense of this statement, it will like Morrison just stepped into things completely ignorant. Or worse, doing what Bendis did with Superman, and simply choosing to ignore developments in favor of some continuity that didn't happen, but is really what he wishes had happened.
    Or he's simply recontextualizing it. Given that Morrison is moving the Guardians away from the out-of-touch old bastard shtick they've been stuck with for the past few decades and back to the unknowable ancient cosmic beings that they originally were, there's likely going to be so much stuff going on with the Oans, whose lifetimes and knowledge span billions of years, that the mortal members of the GLCorps simply weren't aware of until know because they didn't need to know, or was being kept secret.

If you'd like to look at it as Morrison imposing his own view upon things, sure. When dealing with any property that spans decades and hundreds upon hundreds of often contradictory comics, that's the job of a good creator. That's what Geoff Johns did and look at how successful that was for the GL franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I don't think that's referring to the Invisible Spectrum, just that the radio lanterns, microwave lanterns, etc, are all part of the Green Lantern Corps. It's like saying they have big lanterns, small lanterns, Green Lanterns of every size, and likewise have recruited energy-based beings from across all wavelengths. They're no more connected to the Invisible Spectrum than Arisia is connected to the Orange Lantern because of her orange skin.
    This is very likely, too.

Incredible Member

I still think that he is talking about different kinds of live beings; for example, Wally's imaginary friend from his childhood, who was a being made from radio waves, and there were many others like him. At the end of The Human Race, all of them moved to live on Earth, and there wasn't any kind of problem because humans couldnīt see them. Morrison wrote that story.

Given that Rot Lop Fan of the F# Bell Corps is on the page, I think you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    I still think that he is talking about different kinds of live beings; for example, Wally's imaginary friend from his childhood, who was a being made from radio waves, and there were many others like him. At the end of The Human Race, all of them moved to live on Earth, and there wasn't any kind of problem because humans couldnīt see them. Morrison wrote that story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Given that Rot Lop Fan of the F# Bell Corps is on the page, I think you're right.
    That guy's inclusion is just confusing. It suggests the Guardian is actually talking about other types of lanterns, since RLF isn't a sound being, but a being who uses sound as a weapon. But I see now that he never said they controlled all parts of the spectrum. Merely that life comes in those forms, and the GLC includes all life forms. But after decades of Red Lantern this and UV Lantern that, plus the second image being a complete mystery to me (I took it as being just the suggestion of a standard Lantern, not an EM life form) I was genuinely confused. Thanks to you all for clearing that up.
    Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    something worrisome about that "we already know who it be. now do you understand?" line.
    It does sound a lot like the start of the kind of conversation Ceasar should have had with Brutus, doesn't it?
    Last edited by thetrellan; 11-13-2018 at 12:24 PM.