Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Default Ultimate DC - The Definitive Thread

First and foremost, I am fully aware just how condescending and pretentious the title sounds when read out loud. I just wanted to see what would such a take on DC's heroes truly look like while being consistent. how much is different than the norm, how much has remained the same.

How do you think it should be done? and which writer should be in charge of the whole thing.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    First and foremost, I am fully aware just how condescending and pretentious the title sounds when read out loud. I just wanted to see what would such a take on DC's heroes truly look like while being consistent. how much is different than the norm, how much has remained the same.

How do you think it should be done? and which writer should be in charge of the whole thing.
    Wizard magazine did their own take on this years ago.
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/justi...-arti-1865504/

It should start with Superman (I know, I know, some old same old but you know what? Starting the line with lesser characters wouldn't sell, point blank period). Ideally now that he still exists, the New 52/Sideways Superman. Have him remember/find his home planet within the multiverse during/after Snyder's big 2019 event. He makes the journey home and as he does, it resets for reasons. My personal idea as an origin, and I credit Ascended with some details here, is that after the main Earth was fixed some New 52 ideas were reborn from the Forge of Worlds/Dark Multiverse, as the Forge is working again. This is where this new-New 52 Superman comes from, which he was taken from and imprisoned, but it was a world still being built hence really muddled memories. The events of Snyder's event and the fixing of the multiverse will allow this Earth to "graduate", and move up from the Forge to the Mutliverse as Metal detailed used to happen before Barbatos killed the Forger.

As for the world itself, take a page from the Earth-2 concept (which started wonderfully even though it went to **** after Robinson) in that the Earth itself is a character. There's a divergence in the timeline of the real world/Earth-0 which accounts for a sometimes sutble, sometimes drastic differences within the history itself. My ideal is that due to these divergences civilization is more technologically advanced, while at the same time having a 1940s flair calling back to the original Golden Age at the same time. Advanced and nostalgic at the same time, think the Fallout verse. But anyway, whatever direction you go, the Earth and its history ends up being being stuff that can be explored right alongside the characters.

Its "New 52" in nature in the sense everyone is new and starting out. But its not beholden to any directions the New 52 took. No legacy (with very few exceptions going forward like Dick Grayson Robin), start from the beginning and move forward from there, no time jumps. The line would be intentionally smaller than the main Earth-0 line, featuring just the big names. Maybe could grow here and there or even shrink as called for. It fits into the space that DC always uses for ultimately failed side initiatives like the New Age of Heroes. Stuff that just, while I give credit for them trying, does not work. Again yes, the "same old characters" argument will come about, but again I point to a pretty undisputable fact: basing things around new characters would not succeed. It doesn't even work in the main line, and that's with the opportunity to use the big guns to prop them up.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-24-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I have had several ideas for alternate versions of the heroes so I guess I'll share some:

Superman:
    With the destruction of Krypton, Jor-El fled the dying planet and his pod crash landed on a planet called Earth. Once there he was captured by scientist Lionel Luthor and other scientists, where his body and DNA was examined. Lionel concluded the he was magnificent specimen and decided to clone him but with the addition of his own human DNA. Jor-El soon escape his prison only to see the clone baby of a Kryptonian and a Luthor, he then took the baby and accidently dropped it in a cornfield in Smallville, where two farmers found and named him Clark Kent. Jor-El himself fled into the Artic and built his own fortress, the Fortress of Solitude. Clark as a teen learned about his powers and took the name Superboy only for him and his father to land in the Phantom Zone for a year. When he finally emerged out of there, he promised to help out the entire world and decided to travel all over the world helping people. When some people wanted to know who he is, he then decided to do some interviews with neoconservative reporter Clark Kent. After some successful interviews both Clark and Superman became famous but when Clark breaks a couple of deadlines Clark's boss decided to go a different route and let perky but tough reporter Lois Lane to interview Superman instead which causes Lois and Superman develop a friendship and Clark decides to become anti-Superman and work for a rival company deciding that its only natural for farm boy Kent to not trust aliens and he could infiltrate any anti-Superman groups spying on them for any information.

Superman's outfit is a blue Kryptonian jumpsuit that heals itself and arranges itself to fit whoever is wearing it with a red poncho that was made for him by some villagers he saved a couple times. Clark stitches the poncho into the suit which bonds the two clothing into one.

Batman:
    Alfred Pennyworth was the Grey Ghost, a British mercenary working for the League of Assassins, but one day decided to quit he then was attacked and left to die in a rundown building in Gotham City, Gotham. Luckily for him a doctor, Thomas Wayne, heard him and helped him get back on his feet. Then one day an assassin kills Thomas and his wife Martha right in front of their child Bruce. Alfred decides to take Bruce and they flee and escape Gotham City. For the next 20 years Alfred trains Bruce in the art of combat where Bruce succeeds beyond Alfred, and Bruce decides to research more in psychology and in the mind of a criminal. When Bruce returns home he finds his family's company, Wayne Enterprises, has become Cobblepot Enterprises, Wayne Manor has been turn into Kane Manor by his mother’s family and that Gotham City has become very corrupted. When Bruce confronts the owner of Cobblepot Enterprises, Oswald "Penguin" Cobblepot, but Penguin uses his connections and has Bruce put into Gotham's Mental Institution. Bruce breaks out of the institution, releasing himself and several criminals who end up destroying the place. Once he gets out, Bruce decides to put on a costume and expose Penguin's crimes and make Gotham safe once again.

Batman's suit is an armored all black ninja costume but with a grey bat on the chest for the Grey Ghost and that he is the grey between good guy and bad guy. Instead of a utility belt Batman hides his weapons inside the many pockets of the costume so his enemies can’t see where he is getting them from.

Wonder Woman:
    Diana Prince is a normal but very athletic American soldier from Paradise City who discovers an armor built by Hephaestus where each piece of the armor is enchanted with a power by each of the Olympian Gods. The armor was built after a war between The Olympians and Darkseid where The Fates foretold a warrior would one day slay Darkseid with the power of the Olympians.

Mystical Items:
    Lasso of Zeus - Able control any creature within its reach
    Tiara/Helmet of Athena - Gives the wearer ability to know multiple languages, resistance to telepathy/mind control
    Bracelets of Artemis - The ability to block any projectile attack
    Boots of Hermes - Super speed
    Earrings of Aphrodite - Manipulate the pheromones of any creature, Allows Diana to make people see the most beautiful creature in the world instead of what she actually looks like, a muscular Greek-American woman with a dark skin tone.
    Ring of Apollo - Heal any wounds
    Armor of Poseidon - Protect from any element.
    Necklace of Hades - Able to see and manipulate souls
    Sword of Ares - Able to cut through any force or object
    Staff of Demetia - Makes things grow

The Flash:
    Police detective Barry Allen was assigned to follow a bunch of random crimes that were linked together and it lend him to reclusive scientist Eobard Thawne. When Barry tried to arrest him, he saw Thawne trying to do an experiment. When Barry saw a lightning bolt coming, he tried to push Thawne out of the way but both were struck and given half of the Speed Force power one man would get which angered Thawne. When Barry is unsure of his powers, he goes to old scientist Jay Garrick who shares a secret about himself to Barry.

The Green Martian:
    J'onn J'onzz is a green martian wanted to escape the prejudice and supremacy of the white martians and so he left his home planet Marz and landed his space ship in Dakota City.

Green Lantern:
    Hal Jordan was a cocky army pilot who one day was shouted at by his boss Carl Ferris but stop when he saw an old army buddy who disappeared over 30 years ago Alan Scott. Hal was suspicious of what really happened to Alan, when confronted he told the truth about him joining the Green Lantern Corps and sacrificing his time and life for them, he then tricked Hal into being drafted into the Green Lantern Corps and their war across space.

Arrow:
    After losing most of his family at a yacht accident during a family reunion and being on an island for a long time, Oliver Queen comes back to fight crime and to figure out if his Uncle Merlyn Queen had anything to do with the Queen Family tragedy while promoting left wing causes and starting his own vigilante revolution.

Aquaman:
    When the Prince of Atlantis Arthur Curry watches his father, King Tom, get killed by African pirates he decides to attack the surface world only to find out that someone in the royal family paid the pirates to attack the kingdom and it was his brother, Orm Curry (Ocean Master), Now taking the name Aquaman, he protects not only his Kingdom but the entire sea and makes a treaty with the UN to recognize his Atlantis as a society.
    Last edited by Mutant God; 11-24-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Here's a couple changes I'd utilize, just for examples:

Taking inspiration from the Earth-One OGN's, Lex Luthor is a woman, Alexandra Luthor. A beautiful, brilliant scientist, inventor, and entrepreneur. She's fascinated with Superman when he arrives on the scene, and he is with her as well for her intelligence and ingenuity. They have a fling but Superman soon comes to realize that there are very dark motivations behind her seemingly benevolent exterior that he cannot abide. He rejects these notions of which she wants him to join in, and even comes to thwart them. The vengeful Lex's fascination with him turns to outright hatred. Her past feelings though also cause her to resent and be jealous of Lois Lane, whom although they are not in a relationship, their public friendship and gossip irks her.

Wonder Woman is technically the first superhero ever to be known to Earth. She is sent by the Amazons to aid the Allies in World War II after a soldier by the name of Steve Trevor washes up unexpectedly on Paradise Island. During this time Diana introduces Amazonian technology to the world during the war that is the start of the divergence that changes up this Earth's history. She stays in Man's World some time after the war ends to be with him, but he dies and she returns to Paradise Island, never to be seen again upwards of 70 years. She would only return when word reaches that an actual extraterrestrial has revealed himself as being on the planet.

Bruce Wayne is shot along with his parents that fateful night in Crime Alley. He nearly dies as well and only survives by receiving an organ transplant from Thomas (kidney or liver). His rehabilitation from these injuries is what introduces him to the martial arts he would eventually travel the world to become more skilled in during his journey to become the Batman. Likewise, Dick Grayson is similarly injured many years later after falling from a sabotaged trapeze act. His family dies but he barely survives and the mirrored circumstances causes Bruce to fund and aid in his own rehabilitation, and makes him his ward when he's able to leave the hospital. The injuries in the fall cost young Dick his leg, but it only motivates him to train his body harder with the support of Bruce and Alfred. His rehabilitation/training eventually culminates in him becoming Robin, the Boy Wonder. He does his amazing super-heroics with a prosthetic, albiet an advanced one.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-24-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

The Earth One line is tackling the concept of an "Ultimate" DC quite exceptionally in my opinion. The only thing I would change would be for a more monthly and consistent scheduling for that line in contrast to their infrequent graphic novel format.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    The Earth One line is tackling the concept of an "Ultimate" DC quite exceptionally in my opinion. The only thing I would change would be for a more monthly and consistent scheduling for that line in contrast to their infrequent graphic novel format.
    Superman's own Earth One installments appear to have an extremely negative reception among the character's personal fanbase (to which I admittedly belong), so forgive me if I believe they can personally be done away with.
    Pull-List:

Outside of WW and GL, the rest of the line seems dead. And they all publish way too infrequently. The latter two publications were the first of the line in 4 years across the board. The OGNs are on life-support at best. I'd go as far as to say they could even call an "Ultimate" line Earth- 1 if they wanted to without anyone batting an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Here's a couple changes I'd utilize, just for examples:

Taking inspiration from the Earth-One OGN's, Lex Luthor is a woman, Alexandra Luthor. A beautiful, brilliant scientist, inventor, and entrepreneur. She's fascinated with Superman when he arrives on the scene, and he is with her as well for her intelligence and ingenuity. They have a fling but Superman soon comes to realize that there are very dark motivations behind her seemingly benevolent exterior that he cannot abide. He rejects these notions of which she wants him to join in, and even comes to thwart them. The vengeful Lex's fascination with him turns to outright hatred. Her past feelings though also cause her to resent and be jealous of Lois Lane, whom although they are not in a relationship, their public friendship and gossip irks her.

Wonder Woman is technically the first superhero ever to be known to Earth. She is sent by the Amazons to aid the Allies in World War II after a soldier by the name of Steve Trevor washes up unexpectedly on Paradise Island. During this time Diana introduces Amazonian technology to the world during the war that is the start of the divergence that changes up this Earth's history. She stays in Man's World some time after the war ends to be with him, but he dies and she returns to Paradise Island, never to be seen again upwards of 70 years. She would only return when word reaches that an actual extraterrestrial has revealed himself as being on the planet.

Bruce Wayne is shot along with his parents that fateful night in Crime Alley. He nearly dies as well and only survives by receiving an organ transplant from Thomas (kidney or liver). His rehabilitation from these injuries is what introduces him to the martial arts he would eventually travel the world to become more skilled in during his journey to become the Batman. Likewise, Dick Grayson is similarly injured many years later after falling from a sabotaged trapeze act. His family dies but he barely survives and the mirrored circumstances causes Bruce to fund and aid in his own rehabilitation, and makes him his ward when he's able to leave the hospital. The injuries in the fall cost young Dick his leg, but it only motivates him to train his body harder with the support of Bruce and Alfred. His rehabilitation/training eventually culminates in him becoming Robin, the Boy Wonder. He does his amazing super-heroics with a prosthetic, albiet an advanced one.
    Maybe have Alex (probably an affectionate nickname Superman gave her while they were still dating) torn between her desire to redeem herself thus becoming a better person and her desire for revenge against Superman, because of the fact he rightfully broke up with her. not helping is the fact that Clark is still encouraging her to choose redemption.
    Pull-List:

I would see it as kind of an Obi-Wan/Anakin situation, very much shortened and with romantic twist. Close for a while, one starts to go bad (or in this case reveal deep down they were always bad), the other is horrified and tries in futility to make them see the light, but a big blowout occurs that just destroys everything irreparably.

The only reason Superman wouldn't see who she truly is at first would just be due to one, he's young, and he's just so fascinated by what she's capable of. Her brain can almost keep up with his and he can't help but be drawn to that level of relatability. It'd be Lois who, knowing the secret pretty early on and choosing to help keep it that way, that had always seen through her even before he arrived on the scene. It could even be that they had a negative history well before, with Lois just waiting for her to fail to cover her tracks. She would try to get Clark to open his eyes.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-24-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Would Lex know Clark and Superman are the same person?

Also, since the Ultimate Marvel universe was more "realistic", should Clark have a better disguise than just glasses?

I would see it as kind of an Obi-Wan/Anakin situation, very much shortened and with romantic twist. Close for a while, one starts to go bad (or in this case reveal deep down they were always bad), the other is horrified and tries in futility to make them see the light, but a big blowout occurs that just destroys everything irreparably.
    Well, Lex can't always be redeemable now can he (in this case she to be precise)?

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post

Also, since the Ultimate Marvel universe was more "realistic", should Clark have a better disguise than just glasses?
    Clark's disguise is a lot more elaborate and clever than just being a pair of glasses, as people attribute it to being.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Jordan/Green Lantern II View Post
    Clark hides behind a pair of glasses and you're worried about me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Allen/The Flash II View Post
    Clark slouches, drops his voice an octave and wears suits two sizes too large.
    Last edited by Netherman14; 11-24-2018 at 01:54 PM.
    Pull-List:

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post

In my head she wouldn't. She would know him as just Superman. Their relationship wouldn't last long enough or be genuinely serious enough for Superman to consider sharing something like that, and he covers his own tracks too well. The only person who knows is Lois (at least at first), and she found out on her own just because one, she's a good investigator, and two, she has the unique placement to be in close proximity to both Superman and Clark Kent quite often.

As far as Clark's disguise, I'd keep it pretty much the same. But I wouldn't really want it to have a "realistic" type of spin like the Marvel U or what Earth-One did. If anything I'd like it to be more fantastical. But these are just my preferences of course in regards to an entirely hypothetical situation. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-24-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Outside of WW and GL, the rest of the line seems dead. And they all publish way too infrequently. The latter two publications were the first of the line in 4 years across the board. The OGNs are on life-support at best. I'd go as far as to say they could even call an "Ultimate" line Earth- 1 if they wanted to without anyone batting an eye.
    Would you keep Wonder Woman and Green Lantern as they are? or reboot them as well?
    Pull-List:

If they sell, I wouldn't think they'd HAVE to pull the plug on them. If they sell, keep those going and just do the other line with a different name. It doesn't necessarily have to be called Earth-1, after all. I don't think the idea of the OGNs would have to conflict with the idea of an alternate line in monthly form at all, whether they continued or not. When Elseworlds was being published you'd have alternate versions of these characters being published left and right at the same time. Fans wouldn't be confused one way or another.