Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Green Lantern charcter SPOILERS for Suicide Squad: Black #1

Seems the historical Aladdin is a Green Lantern

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...green-lantern/

The more human Green Lanterns there are, the less interesting the Green Lantern concept really is.

Is he going to be a Green Lantern? Or is he just a character who will feature in the title?

If Aladdin is just going to be some regular character or villain in the book it could be interesting. However, if he is a Green Lantern then I agree that there is way to many Earth GL's.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I rather he be a new character connected to the Aladdin of myth.

Where are they getting that information from? I've seen no reference to this character being connected to the lanterns in the story and, outside this article, no other sites have reported this. Is there anything that corroborates this?
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-08-2018 at 06:29 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Not yet. I'm guessing it will come up in the 6 issue limited series.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Seems the historical Aladdin is a Green Lantern

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...green-lantern/
    I he's supposedly a Green Lantern ... why is he surrounded by what appears to be yellow?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I he's supposedly a Green Lantern ... why is he surrounded by what appears to be yellow?
    I'M Guessing not only he is a Green Lantern but has a magical nature as well. Teleportation aura.

Ugh while I am skeptical about the validity of this report, I hope if he is a "Lantern" he's a lantern in the sense of Alan Scott was a Lantern. I don't like being that kind of fan, but we have too many Earth Lanterns. If they were divvied up to different corps I could understand somewhat, and as much I would like to see a Lanterns that's not American, we don't need a 7th (possibly 8th) character with the same powerset. They don't even know what to do with the 6 we have most of the time.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Ugh while I am skeptical about the validity of this report, I hope if he is a "Lantern" he's a lantern in the sense of Alan Scott was a Lantern. I don't like being that kind of fan, but we have too many Earth Lanterns. If they were divvied up to different corps I could understand somewhat, and as much I would like to see a Lanterns that's not American, we don't need a 7th (possibly 8th) character with the same powerset. They don't even know what to do with the 6 we have most of the time.
    I agree. Earth has to many Green Lantern with Hal, Guy, John, Kyle, Simon, Jessica, Teen Lantern and now Aladdin with Anya Savenlovich a possiblity as well. I can live with Aladdin being a Lantern seconday to being a mystic with a Genie in his service first an immortal to boot. Maybe he has some ties to Jong Li https://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Jong_Li_(New_Earth). Earth has had numerous Lanterns in the past with all semingly being human.
    Jong Li
    Aladdin
    Daniel Young
    Alan Scott
    Donna Parker
    Hal Jordan
    Charlie Vickers
    John Stewart
    Guy Gardner
    Kyle Rayner
    Anya Savenlovich
    Jennie-Lynn Hayden
    Simon Baz
    Jessica Cruz
    Teen Lantern

Future:
    Rond Vidar
    Kirt Niedrigh
    I would love to have a non-human lantern Gorilla City ape, Whale, Chimpanzee, Panda, Dolphin ect. just non-human.

If he does have a genie in his service i wonder if their is a connection to Teen Titan's Djinn.

Mighty Member

There's honestly no such thing as too many lanterns. Are there too many superheroes? Too many villains? Too many teams? etc. That and this article makes no sense. Maybe they're trying to say that he's similar to a GL.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    There's honestly no such thing as too many lanterns. Are there too many superheroes? Too many villains? Too many teams? etc. That and this article makes no sense. Maybe they're trying to say that he's similar to a GL.
    That's kind of an apples to forest comparison, by which I mean one is far more broad to be compared properly to the other. No, there's no such thing as too many superheroes, villains, or teams because there are an infinite amount of ways to work approach that concept. Different costumes, different powers, different mission statements, etc. However, there is a such thing as too many of one particular character and I think specifically too many Green Lanterns because it's starting to get to the point of having too many characters with the same power and template. I love almost all the current Earth Lantern characters but they are all becoming redundant under the weight of DC's continued effort to push Hal Jordan. What's the point of adding another Lantern if all roads lead to Hal (Green Lanterns' finale, I'm looking at you)? Also, they still haven't explained why Earth has so many Lanterns when the Corp usually only chooses one Lantern from each planet; to my knowledge. If they had the Lanterns each have been chosen by different corps, I could get behind adding more but without at least explaining why Earth has 7 Green Lanterns I don't see the point of adding a new one unless he's not connected to the corps at all. It feels they're creatively bankrupt "we need a new character. MAKE ANOTHER LANTERN!" like c'mon. And I hate to say that because I don't like being that kind of fan that says there are "too many" of anything but i truly believe this is one of the few times where they are going too far with the idea. Especially because they aren't even doing a good job juggling the Lanterns they already have in a satisfying way.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-08-2018 at 09:29 PM.

currently following:

Let's just get the obvious out of the way, a franchise like GL is always going to have a frontman character who is presented more prominently than the rest. That's been the case for the past 60 years and that's how it's going to be long after we're no longer around. There will always be a "golden boy" figure in this series that the company is more invested in and that's the way it is. When it comes to keep adding more characters, I think DC is trying to have their cake and eat it too. They know the need for better representation these days and for some reason GL always seems to be their go-to property for that. If they're determined to keep adding more characters, it should always go with a long-term plan, not flying by the seat of their pants and figure it out when they get there, like their central GL protagonist often tends to do. Jessica Cruz got over as a character precisely because they seemed to have long term plans for her, Simon Baz didn't because he wasn't seen as much of a priority as she was. Regardless of how the new characters are pushed, when DC has been invested in other characters they obviously will not push the new characters on the same level. The hope for those new characters is that there are actual plans for them and they don't end up getting lost in the shuffle in a few months. I believe the series doesn't get watered down just because they add more characters, it gets watered down if they add more characters they end up not knowing what to do with. You should never create a new character carrying a prominent superhero mantle if you don't have an actual direction for them in mind. The "golden boy" will always be there and trying to have the new character compete with him isn't going to work, it's how you choose to prioritize the new character despite that fact is what matters in my view.

I really doubt he is a Green Lantern. They have practically teased that his powers come from a genie rather than a lantern ring. And as others have said the aura that surrounds him is yellow, not green (I also doubt his powers would come from Alan Scott's lantern as that is currently appearing in Doomsday clock)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Where are they getting that information from? I've seen no reference to this character being connected to the lanterns in the story and, outside this article, no other sites have reported this. Is there anything that corroborates this?
    When SSBF was first announced, Aladdin was presented as an infiltrated GL. Given that here is supposed to be the russian version of Black Room, i guess it was changed.