Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    we have too many Earth Lanterns.
    That argument is a slippery slope - how many is the right number?

The strongest argument is for exactly one. One Green Lantern was how it was created; for 10 years it was just Alan Scott. The first 25 years of Hal Jordan were the same - and the modern GL mythos was almost entirely defined halfway through that run. Adding more Earth GLs in the 1980s didn't really expand the mythos - it just became more of a team instead of a solo character. And the cast has been a rubber band (shrinking, expanding) ever since.

So how many do we "need"? One.

But some good stories got told with every expansion. So where do you draw the line? Most people would do it with their favorite character - but it doesn't work that way. Creators are free to try new ideas, new characters. And the market responds. In 2010 it was, "Simon Baz is kinda interesting." In 2020 it might be, "whatever happened to Simon Baz?"

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Let me guess, it's a human... YEP! Wait, what, Aladdin?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Let me guess, it's a human... YEP! Wait, what, Aladdin?
    A whole new world!
    A new fantastic point of view!
    No one to tell us no
    Or where to go
    Or say we're only dreaming!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post

The strongest argument is for exactly one. One Green Lantern was how it was created; for 10 years it was just Alan Scott. The first 25 years of Hal Jordan were the same - and the modern GL mythos was almost entirely defined halfway through that run. Adding more Earth GLs in the 1980s didn't really expand the mythos - it just became more of a team instead of a solo character. And the cast has been a rubber band (shrinking, expanding) ever since.

But some good stories got told with every expansion. So where do you draw the line? Most people would do it with their favorite character - but it doesn't work that way. Creators are free to try new ideas, new characters. And the market responds. In 2010 it was, "Simon Baz is kinda interesting." In 2020 it might be, "whatever happened to Simon Baz?"
    I think the line should be drawn where it's at now. Why can't creators create alien Green Lanterns and actually turn focus to some other places besides Earth? They could even have the alien sub in every now and again for an Earth GL. That would be actually be more creative then not using one of the 6 Earth GL's they already have.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post

I have no issue with expanding the roster, but only if it makes narrative sense. My issue with the Green Lanterns cast is it keeps expanding with no explanation as to why this one country, on this one planet, keeps churning out protectors for the universe. If the Green Lanterns are an intergalactic institution, why does it seem like this is the only planet they can recruit from, ya know? If earth is so ripe with lantern potential, why haven't the other corps chosen anyone of note? If they explained why things are the way they are I wouldn't mind adding more it all that much. That's why I emphasis Earth and Green, there is plenty ways to go with the GL mythos without any other human with the ability to "overcome great fear". My other issue is, i don't think they've done a good job juggling the utilization of their current Lanterns' potential as is. I don't want them to create a new one if they are just going to do the character a disservice by not developing them enough. So maybe I misspoke (mistyped?). I guess it would be better to say, my problem isn't with the idea of adding a new lantern itself; I just don't trust DC's creative team to handle the idea in a satisfactory way.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I think the line should be drawn where it's at now. Why can't creators create alien Green Lanterns and actually turn focus to some other places besides Earth? They could even have the alien sub in every now and again for an Earth GL. That would be actually be more creative then not using one of the 6 Earth GL's they already have.
    Something to this effect would be interesting. The Teen Lantern is another interesting twist on the GL idea. Things that we don't usually see. That's why I was advocating for them to go the Alan Scott route; if Aladdin is some kind of Lantern, make him have nothing to do with the Corps.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-11-2018 at 05:24 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

What's the sale figure for an alien main character not set on earth though? I only know Larfleeze, Sinestro and Red Lanterns, with the longest lasting being Red Lanterns, and they're the first Lantern title to be canceled.

What's the sale figure for an alien main character not set on earth though? I only know Larfleeze, Sinestro and Red Lanterns, with the longest lasting being Red Lanterns, and they're the first Lantern title to be canceled.
    The real question here should be...how many times did anyone actually give the effort in trying it? And when they did so how many times they give that alien character an actual meaningful plot line/hook to make people give a damn. DC historically has a tendency to put something out and go "Well there ya go. You should love this." without putting any real effort outside of that into it.

I give you Exhibited A to back that up:

DC created MM as a stand in for Superman on the JLA. The character has been around for what 60? 70? years and the guy still has a hard time for fans as a whole to really give a darn about him. The character needed more than just to be a fill in for Superman. (It's getting better granted but still)

If they created meaningful stories with Alien characters and reasons to care about those characters people will buy and read their stories. The characters do not have to look like us for it to sell they just need concepts that anyone can relate to.

The GL Corps title would be a good place to test a Alien GL and then have them spin out on their own. That book hardly ever touch based on earth and it sells are decent for comic books.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 11-12-2018 at 05:06 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

There was also LEGION and Lobo, both headlined by aliens, not on earth. Not sure how they sold or how long they lasted though...

. . . DC created MM as a stand in for Superman on the JLA.
    Man, those people at DC were so clever back in the 1950s! They must have been planning for the Justice League of America at least four-or-five years before they first appeared in a comic book!

First appearance of the Justice League of America = The Brave and the Bold #28 (March 1960)

First appearance of Martian Manhunter = Detective Comics #225 (Nov. 1955).

Besides, Superman was also stated to be a member of the Justice League of America in that very first appearance in The Brave and the Bold #28.

Correction accepted.

I should have said that continual use of the character on the JLA was to be a stand in for Superman. Different wording same results.

Correction accepted.

I should have said that continual use of the character on the JLA was to be a stand in for Superman. Different wording same results.
    But the thing is, Superman was used in the Justice League pretty much from the beginning, so I'm not sure how exactly that makes Martian Manhunter a "stand in for Superman".

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Where are they getting that information from? I've seen no reference to this character being connected to the lanterns in the story and, outside this article, no other sites have reported this. Is there anything that corroborates this?
    nope. I did a google search and Bleeding cool is the only article that comes up.

EDIT- I skimmed the issue and he isn't another silver age green lantern or connected to Alan scott. He's basically a magic user enlisted by Amanda waller to get intel on Sebastian Faust. Sebastian was the Warlock employed by ARGUS to run the Black Room their magical artifact storeroom.

He broke bad for "reasons" and Waller's forced to set up a new team to go against him. Most of her magic squad (codenamed Cerberus) died within the issue.

Bleeding cool made an assumption because historically Alan Scott was inspired by Aladdin.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-12-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But the thing is, Superman was used in the Justice League pretty much from the beginning, so I'm not sure how exactly that makes Martian Manhunter a "stand in for Superman".
    The primary reason they used Mm was due to not wanting to over saturate Superman at the time. DC felt that if they had Supes in the JLA that it would pull salles from the actual Superman comics.

Dc writers and editors and writers have said it themself.

Readers relate to human characters, not alien characters.

And if you're going to give panel space to alien characters, it subtracts from current characters. Which is why I say - they've already created too many human GLs, and drawing the line at 6, or 8, or whatever - is an arbitrary line in the sand.

I've long accepted that DC only has space to use 1, maybe 2 GL characters well. The rest of them are then relegated to supporting character status. And it may always be that way, too.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    nope. I did a google search and Bleeding cool is the only article that comes up.

EDIT- I skimmed the issue and he isn't another silver age green lantern or connected to Alan scott. He's basically a magic user enlisted by Amanda waller to get intel on Sebastian Faust. Sebastian was the Warlock employed by ARGUS to run the Black Room their magical artifact storeroom.

He broke bad for "reasons" and Waller's forced to set up a new team to go against him. Most of her magic squad (codenamed Cerberus) died within the issue.

Bleeding cool made an assumption because historically Alan Scott was inspired by Aladdin.
    No assumption was made.