Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Green Lantern charcter SPOILERS for Suicide Squad: Black #1

Seems the historical Aladdin is a Green Lantern

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...green-lantern/

The more human Green Lanterns there are, the less interesting the Green Lantern concept really is.

Is he going to be a Green Lantern? Or is he just a character who will feature in the title?

If Aladdin is just going to be some regular character or villain in the book it could be interesting. However, if he is a Green Lantern then I agree that there is way to many Earth GL's.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I rather he be a new character connected to the Aladdin of myth.

Where are they getting that information from? I've seen no reference to this character being connected to the lanterns in the story and, outside this article, no other sites have reported this. Is there anything that corroborates this?
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-08-2018 at 06:29 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Not yet. I'm guessing it will come up in the 6 issue limited series.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Where are they getting that information from? I've seen no reference to this character being connected to the lanterns in the story and, outside this article, no other sites have reported this. Is there anything that corroborates this?
    When SSBF was first announced, Aladdin was presented as an infiltrated GL. Given that here is supposed to be the russian version of Black Room, i guess it was changed.

nope. I did a google search and Bleeding cool is the only article that comes up.

EDIT- I skimmed the issue and he isn't another silver age green lantern or connected to Alan scott. He's basically a magic user enlisted by Amanda waller to get intel on Sebastian Faust. Sebastian was the Warlock employed by ARGUS to run the Black Room their magical artifact storeroom.

He broke bad for "reasons" and Waller's forced to set up a new team to go against him. Most of her magic squad (codenamed Cerberus) died within the issue.

Bleeding cool made an assumption because historically Alan Scott was inspired by Aladdin.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-12-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Seems the historical Aladdin is a Green Lantern

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...green-lantern/
    I he's supposedly a Green Lantern ... why is he surrounded by what appears to be yellow?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I he's supposedly a Green Lantern ... why is he surrounded by what appears to be yellow?
    I'M Guessing not only he is a Green Lantern but has a magical nature as well. Teleportation aura.

Ugh while I am skeptical about the validity of this report, I hope if he is a "Lantern" he's a lantern in the sense of Alan Scott was a Lantern. I don't like being that kind of fan, but we have too many Earth Lanterns. If they were divvied up to different corps I could understand somewhat, and as much I would like to see a Lanterns that's not American, we don't need a 7th (possibly 8th) character with the same powerset. They don't even know what to do with the 6 we have most of the time.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Ugh while I am skeptical about the validity of this report, I hope if he is a "Lantern" he's a lantern in the sense of Alan Scott was a Lantern. I don't like being that kind of fan, but we have too many Earth Lanterns. If they were divvied up to different corps I could understand somewhat, and as much I would like to see a Lanterns that's not American, we don't need a 7th (possibly 8th) character with the same powerset. They don't even know what to do with the 6 we have most of the time.
    I agree. Earth has to many Green Lantern with Hal, Guy, John, Kyle, Simon, Jessica, Teen Lantern and now Aladdin with Anya Savenlovich a possiblity as well. I can live with Aladdin being a Lantern seconday to being a mystic with a Genie in his service first an immortal to boot. Maybe he has some ties to Jong Li https://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Jong_Li_(New_Earth). Earth has had numerous Lanterns in the past with all semingly being human.
    Jong Li
    Aladdin
    Daniel Young
    Alan Scott
    Donna Parker
    Hal Jordan
    Charlie Vickers
    John Stewart
    Guy Gardner
    Kyle Rayner
    Anya Savenlovich
    Jennie-Lynn Hayden
    Simon Baz
    Jessica Cruz
    Teen Lantern

Future:
    Rond Vidar
    Kirt Niedrigh
    I would love to have a non-human lantern Gorilla City ape, Whale, Chimpanzee, Panda, Dolphin ect. just non-human.

If he does have a genie in his service i wonder if their is a connection to Teen Titan's Djinn.

Mighty Member

There's honestly no such thing as too many lanterns. Are there too many superheroes? Too many villains? Too many teams? etc. That and this article makes no sense. Maybe they're trying to say that he's similar to a GL.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

we have too many Earth Lanterns.
    That argument is a slippery slope - how many is the right number?

The strongest argument is for exactly one. One Green Lantern was how it was created; for 10 years it was just Alan Scott. The first 25 years of Hal Jordan were the same - and the modern GL mythos was almost entirely defined halfway through that run. Adding more Earth GLs in the 1980s didn't really expand the mythos - it just became more of a team instead of a solo character. And the cast has been a rubber band (shrinking, expanding) ever since.

So how many do we "need"? One.

But some good stories got told with every expansion. So where do you draw the line? Most people would do it with their favorite character - but it doesn't work that way. Creators are free to try new ideas, new characters. And the market responds. In 2010 it was, "Simon Baz is kinda interesting." In 2020 it might be, "whatever happened to Simon Baz?"

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Let me guess, it's a human... YEP! Wait, what, Aladdin?