Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Fantastic Four #3 Spoilers and Review

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Mighty Member

Let's appreciate Reed beaming everyone there and smashing the machine that could take them away from the lunatic Griever at the End of All Things.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Half a decade.

So Val is 8 and Franklin is 13? Does that seem right?
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Half a decade.

In this case, this is more evidence that comic artists can't draw children. Franklin was drawn way too buff for a thirteen year old to the point of unhealthiness, but I can excuse that because "reality warper exception clause." For Val, I'm shocked as all hell. She looks like she's 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Half a decade.

They’re at least those ages since Sue said they’d been away for at least half a decade. So it could be longer. Still kinda messed up when it comes to some of their members like Alex Power who is now has an even greater age gap to his siblings.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    They’re at least those ages since Sue said they’d been away for at least half a decade. So it could be longer. Still kinda messed up when it comes to some of their members like Alex Power who is now has an even greater age gap to his siblings.
    I'm sure Franklin can use his reality warper powers to "fix" that age gap.

So Val should be around the same age as Moon Girl and Franklin just becoming a teen. That's the age up I wanted but it doesn't match the art or issue 2 at all. Valeria should not have boys on her radar at that age. Both her and the prince looked like teenagers. Franklin looks around Johnny's age when the FF first started (15 or 16), not a 13 year old.

Is the problem here art or Slotts math?

I hope everyone gets a decent showing when up against the Griever and that there is time spent on the reunion with the "extended family" after the battle.

Don't know how I feel about Sue having a mole, it's an interesting design choice.

I'm usually not a "feats!" type of guy, but this issue calls for it. I want lots of impressive feats particularity from the main FF members (especially Sue and Reed).
    Last edited by Crimz; 11-09-2018 at 05:24 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Mighty Member

I'm happy Franklin is 13 and Val is 8 since those were my ideal ages for them, but the art is making me ask questions that bring real life anatomy that I studied into the fray and I don't like bringing in real science with comic book science.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Namorita!!!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    In this case, this is more evidence that comic artists can't draw children. Franklin was drawn way too buff for a thirteen year old to the point of unhealthiness, but I can excuse that because "reality warper exception clause." For Val, I'm shocked as all hell. She looks like she's 13.
    Explaining that can earn you a no-prize. Val was 3 years old in 2015, but she was also 3 years old a decade prior. Since the sliding timescale usually operates in a manner that means that four years pass in reality for each one in the Marvel Universe (that's actually mentioned in the preview, it's been a year for Ben and Johnny and that's over three years of comics), Val should in fact have already been 5 or 6 before Secret Wars. That would fix the issue. A 14 year old flirting is young, but not impossible, especially if that alien guy was, say, 16. An 8 or 9 year old, no way.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

And somehow, the covers are a more accurate indicator of age than the actual book. The blazes ...

Franklin being 8 and Val being 3 were the last set definition of age in the Marvel Universe. BUT the fanboy in me points out the year they spent in Fraction's run and the additional eight months pre-Secret Wars. Seeing Franklin as 10 and Val as 5 in Secret Wars 9 isn't a stretch of the imagination.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Franklin being 8 and Val being 3 were the last set definition of age in the Marvel Universe. BUT the fanboy in me points out the year they spent in Fraction's run and the additional eight months pre-Secret Wars. Seeing Franklin as 10 and Val as 5 in Secret Wars 9 isn't a stretch of the imagination.
    They might be picking up from where they left off in Secret Wars (2015), which was a stretch of eight years of God Doom and Battleworld before the restoration of the Multiverse reset everything, with some changes here and there from incorporating characters and elements from other universes. With Franklin and Valeria (and Sue, Reed, and the Future Foundation) being outside conventional reality even as Franklin and Reed were restoring it with the help of Owen Reece, the Molecule Man, who knows how the relative passage of time could have affected their aging?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    They might be picking up from where they left off in Secret Wars (2015), which was a stretch of eight years of God Doom and Battleworld before the restoration of the Multiverse reset everything, with some changes here and there from incorporating characters and elements from other universes. With Franklin and Valeria (and Sue, Reed, and the Future Foundation) being outside conventional reality even as Franklin and Reed were restoring it with the help of Owen Reece, the Molecule Man, who knows how the relative passage of time could have affected their aging?
    I'm leaning away from this as Marvel has said that it wasn't the 616 Franklin, Valeria, or Sue in Secret Wars and the Sue and the kids popping in at the end of SW9 would seem to me to be those from the lifeboat ship disaster in SW1. I think Doom and owen are the only people from 616 to experience that eight year period. Everyone else who wasn't on the lifeboat were alternate universe counterparts.

There may be story details I'm either missing or subconsciously ignoring as this solution works for me. And any story which has the multiverse totally destroyed and recreated is going to have some details which just cant be explained without degrees in advanced physices not yet discovered.

Mighty Member

What exactly happened to the Battleworld Foundation anyways? Were they retconned with extreme prejudice by Reed and Owen?