Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    BANNED

this arc felt like it has taken inspiration from many previous story arcs and Aaron is going to put his spin on those narratives. the squadron supreme being supported by the government while the avengers are facing a turbulent period being on the receiving end of the public and the government's distrust is reminiscent of some of the narrative beats that were in Kurt busieks run.
    The clash of the winter guard and the avengers over apprehending/stopping namor and his team was reminiscent of the clash between the two teams over capturing magneto in x men vs avengers which had a free for all between three super teams and also to a certain extent the crossing line storyline in avengers.
    furthermore the international superhero symposium where the international super teams will gather and deal with the mutual distrust and some public disaster possibly which causes the avengers to become the most distrusted heroes on earth is also somewhat similar to the aforementioned crossing line storyline by Fabian Nicieza where international super teams and Atlanteans clash over the hijacking of a brit nuclear sub and then unite to deal with the subsequent fallout of its explosion which frankly led to too much jumping through holes to make the story work (not to mention the extra dimensional shenanigans which may be repeated here in some manner due to the involvement of the squadron.)
    the wasp vignette could also mean the establishment of a black ops like superhero team in the vein of the secret avengers with tchalla in charge recruiting and deploying them at his personal discretion like Steve did.
    if the storyline of Coates Captain America has any influence on this storyline then the return of a major adversary and him working with the power elite who may have put Ross under their control could influence events from behind the scenes with major consequences for avengers to deal with eventually and could lead to their appearing in caps book.( after all they are guest appearing all over the mu) which again reminds me of the various political manipulations that the returned adversary has been involved with in story arcs like red zone and the captain story arc.
    of course I may be over thinking things and seeing connections where there are none.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I got the impression that Wasp recruited Blade to be the newest Avengers, not to be an agent of wakanda. Because didn't the solicits say this issue would reveal the new member? That's Blade, no?
    Blade is either on the Secret Avengers team or he's the new member. I guess it's sort of confusing since many of us didn't think there'd be so many, many superhero teams.

Not that I'm complaining. Aaron is one of those writers who can juggle a large roster and still give everyone time to shine.
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    this arc felt like it has taken inspiration from many previous story arcs and Aaron is going to put his spin on those narratives. the squadron supreme being supported by the government while the avengers are facing a turbulent period being on the receiving end of the public and the government's distrust is reminiscent of some of the narrative beats that were in Kurt busieks run.
    The clash of the winter guard and the avengers over apprehending/stopping namor and his team was reminiscent of the clash between the two teams over capturing magneto in x men vs avengers which had a free for all between three super teams and also to a certain extent the crossing line storyline in avengers.
    furthermore the international superhero symposium where the international super teams will gather and deal with the mutual distrust and some public disaster possibly which causes the avengers to become the most distrusted heroes on earth is also somewhat similar to the aforementioned crossing line storyline by Fabian Nicieza where international super teams and Atlanteans clash over the hijacking of a brit nuclear sub and then unite to deal with the subsequent fallout of its explosion which frankly led to too much jumping through holes to make the story work (not to mention the extra dimensional shenanigans which may be repeated here in some manner due to the involvement of the squadron.)
    the wasp vignette could also mean the establishment of a black ops like superhero team in the vein of the secret avengers with tchalla in charge recruiting and deploying them at his personal discretion like Steve did.
    if the storyline of Coates Captain America has any influence on this storyline then the return of a major adversary and him working with the power elite who may have put Ross under their control could influence events from behind the scenes with major consequences for avengers to deal with eventually and could lead to their appearing in caps book.( after all they are guest appearing all over the mu) which again reminds me of the various political manipulations that the returned adversary has been involved with in story arcs like red zone and the captain story arc.
    of course I may be over thinking things and seeing connections where there are none.
    I don't think you're wrong. A lot of the comics seem very well connected right now, especially with how large this Avengers book is getting. I guess I sort of thought that this would be a little more...I don't know, intimate? Smaller scale? This issue quickly proved that wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TrooperCameron View Post
    Any guesses on which Nighthawk that is?
    Either a new guy or Joaquin Pennysworth.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Blade is either on the Secret Avengers team or he's the new member. I guess it's sort of confusing since many of us didn't think there'd be so many, many superhero teams.

Not that I'm complaining. Aaron is one of those writers who can juggle a large roster and still give everyone time to shine.

I don't think you're wrong. A lot of the comics seem very well connected right now, especially with how large this Avengers book is getting. I guess I sort of thought that this would be a little more...I don't know, intimate? Smaller scale? This issue quickly proved that wrong.
    yes looks like Aarons penchant for grandiose storylines means that things will never be slow for this team. no doubt that once they deal with the current convoluted political situation they will have to face the war of the realms next. never a dull moment for this team.

Fantastic Member

Starbrand (in Hickman's run) was a creation of the Builders's planet defense system (not sure how that squares with Shooter's run). The Builders were one of the earliest races so Starbrand could have been around 1,000,000 years ago pretty easily
    Last edited by runguy; 11-15-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I didn't know Coulson appeared again outside of Marcus Fury stuff
    I could be wrong, but I think it was actually in the road to Secret Empire as well. In other words, it was before HydraCap was outed as evil.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Anyone else think Aaron is going to make an existing hero the new Starbrand?
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    To be honest i wish they would bring back Kayla Ballantine, Quasar's girlfriend, as Starbrand http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/ballank.htm

What's Wendell Vaughn up to these days?

Or maybe it's time to resurrect Frankie Raye?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Frankie Raye is seemingly resurrected under a new name, Frances Hyatt, in the Heralds mini some years ago. She made an appearance in the last issue of Cullen Bunn's Fearless Defenders and was just summoned by Reed in Fantastic Four.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    What's Wendell Vaughn up to these days?

Quasar is another good choice. He was in possession of the New Universe Starbrand for awhile before passing it on to Kayla.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I think you are spot on with point 4 and point 3.

I agree about point 6, that should be interesting.

It was cool to see the other teams, that sort of what I meant by saying the Avengers felt like guests in the book, not the stars.
    Yeah, it's one of the pitfalls of Aaron's Avengers run so far. I hope it's something he rectifies at a later point.

Super hyped about the international superhero summit because there's so damn much potential there and I hope they don't squander it.

And I get that. We spent a lot of time with characters other than the Avengers themselves in this issue. I do feel like Aaron is one of those writers who is more about the broader narrative and lore, rather than character work. I suspect if we're looking for character development we'd be better off to check out the Avengers solo titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    what happened to the Hyperion with the gray/yellow outfit? The one who killed Sub-Mariner a while back?
    I've no idea what became of the last Squadron incarnation since we saw them last. Which is a shame, since they were my favorites.

BANNED

I mentioned it in my bulky post a couple pages back. I could see Jane Foster, Wendell Vaughn or Sam Alexander inheriting the Starbrand.

I do hope they don't stick it on Captain Marvel or something so that the team aligns with the BC Avengers, because I don't think any of them need a power boost.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

As for Power Princess I highly doubt this is the evil one in Robinson's Squadron Supreme who stole the powers of the original Zarda, as I don't see her becoming a superhero. Even if she did a 180, her history is too checkered for anyone to trust her completely. If she's the original Zarda, I hope she got her powers back.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Fantastic Member TrooperCameron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Either a new guy or Joaquin Pennysworth.
    Thanks man, 100% sure your right about Joaquin. Thought Raymond Kane was being brought back, but no way he would work for the government. Joaquin makes sense he was a shield agent. And I hope that is Hickman's Hyperion, I actually liked him.