Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    The one in this issue appeared to be male. I doubt that we'll see the inhuman spectrum again.
    Figured as much, since they’re trying to bury the inhumans again.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Also a cover
    Looks like a Vader-type Stormtrooper looming over them.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Aaron is doing his normal trick here, by using analogues to define his protagonists. Not exactly a new trick. It was Lee and Kirby's favourite plot generator too. Although this book is grand in scope, it feels more of a set-up book than an anniversary issue. It was obvious the anniversary issue was coming soon, but I suspect Aaron just decided to throw in some extra portentous material and a quick prologue rather than pause his story.

The choice of Cold War analogies are clearly inspired by current affairs, but to me it feels removed from the real world. This isn't reflecting upon the reality of Russia or its current political situation. It is as much a pastiche to bring back these Cold War villains as it is to use the Squadron Supreme as US heroes. I wonder if Aaron will actually take the time to flesh out who is under each mask? Perhaps having Coulson return is a clue. Maybe he has chosen an entirely new squadron from his knowledge of superhero history. It makes me wonder if this sudden urge to build teams is part of the deeper premise.

Is there a suggestion that the Starbrand will be the big bad in the longer story? To the idea that Aaron is retconning Starbrand, we certainly shouldn't look for clues from Hickman, because he left the Starbrand idea deliberately vague. There is nothing to prove the Starbrand was deliberately created so much as he manifested under specific circumstances, and the evolution of the ideas in New Universe also suggest a more obscure and conceptual origin. I wouldn't bother to read the contemporary Handbook either, as it is full of inaccuracies and poor readings of the story. Aaron can pretty much do anything with the concept as long as he keeps the implication that it arises as a kind of paradigmatic manifestation. That would certainly fit his theme, because he is suggesting that The Avengers themselves are a kind of recurring pattern.

Overall this was a fun issue with some pointers to where things might be going. It never felt convincing as an anniversary story to me, and neither of the backup stories really add much. One makes it clearer how Aaron sees Robbie and his Penance Stare, the other is a throwaway prologue.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Aaron is doing his normal trick here, by using analogues to define his protagonists. Not exactly a new trick. It was Lee and Kirby's favourite plot generator too. Although this book is grand in scope, it feels more of a set-up book than an anniversary issue. It was obvious the anniversary issue was coming soon, but I suspect Aaron just decided to throw in some extra portentous material and a quick prologue rather than pause his story.

The choice of Cold War analogies are clearly inspired by current affairs, but to me it feels removed from the real world. This isn't reflecting upon the reality of Russia or its current political situation. It is as much a pastiche to bring back these Cold War villains as it is to use the Squadron Supreme as US heroes. I wonder if Aaron will actually take the time to flesh out who is under each mask? Perhaps having Coulson return is a clue. Maybe he has chosen an entirely new squadron from his knowledge of superhero history. It makes me wonder if this sudden urge to build teams is part of the deeper premise.
    doesn't really seem to be his style. it's all surface so far. these are the kinds of stories that kids make up when they are playing with action figures. but i'll overlook all of that because I like the art and some of the characters involved.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    David Marquez is too good. That cover looks awesome. I still wish there were more women on the team.
    It balances out since Champions is mostly ladies.

doesn't really seem to be his style. it's all surface so far. these are the kinds of stories that kids make up when they are playing with action figures. but i'll overlook all of that because I like the art and some of the characters involved.
    I don't actually expect him to. I wouldn't consider it a failing, however Aaron is certainly not all surface. Exactly the opposite in fact. His general style is to leave most of his work in subtext and to concentrate on the plot in the main text.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post

Is there a suggestion that the Starbrand will be the big bad in the longer story? To the idea that Aaron is retconning Starbrand, we certainly shouldn't look for clues from Hickman, because he left the Starbrand idea deliberately vague. There is nothing to prove the Starbrand was deliberately created so much as he manifested under specific circumstances, and the evolution of the ideas in New Universe also suggest a more obscure and conceptual origin. I wouldn't bother to read the contemporary Handbook either, as it is full of inaccuracies and poor readings of the story. Aaron can pretty much do anything with the concept as long as he keeps the implication that it arises as a kind of paradigmatic manifestation. That would certainly fit his theme, because he is suggesting that The Avengers themselves are a kind of recurring pattern.

Overall this was a fun issue with some pointers to where things might be going. It never felt convincing as an anniversary story to me, and neither of the backup stories really add much. One makes it clearer how Aaron sees Robbie and his Penance Stare, the other is a throwaway prologue.
    I take your points here

As an individual comic I thought it was fine, it just didn't feel like anything special for issue 700

some of the set up looks interesting

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I take your points here

As an individual comic I thought it was fine, it just didn't feel like anything special for issue 700

some of the set up looks interesting
    This issue was saved by the setup, which I am hyped for.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    This issue was saved by the setup, which I am hyped for.
    As an example of how to foreshadow future plot it is very sound

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    It balances out since Champions is mostly ladies.
    It doesn't. Champions and Runaways are the only current Marvel teams dominated by women, as far as I know.
    Marvel's premier team should have a more balanced gender ratio.

so that Red Widow is Natasha, right?

Fantastic Member

so that Red Widow is Natasha, right?
    no, IIRC its a new character

Now that i’ve actually read it;
    The soviet super soldiers- i’d like to know more about them, specifically, why ursa major is permanently a bear; what crimson dynamo’s back story is, and what exactly is chernabog.
    This international heroes summit promises to be intriguing, but i’d kind of like to know how these avengers feel about this coulson. Were any of them close to him? Do they know he was dead? I’m not gonna be happy if they gloss over this.
    Still wondering about this ghost rider and how robbie seems to be in control of it.

Quote Originally Posted by runguy View Post
    no, IIRC its a new character
    I know that is what we're expected to assume. But I'm thinking that it is Natasha.

I know that is what we're expected to assume. But I'm thinking that it is Natasha.
    i have to agree i think it will turn out to be Natasha.