Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

With the exception of Wolverine Phoenix was a great issue.

Avengers have decided to go their own way without being limited by organizations and countries but nature abhors the vacuum so something will always come up to fill the void seeking a balance.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Does this issue have a cover gallery or a roll call of past Avengers?
    no nothing like that, which for me was telling coz it just felt like any other issue for me with a couple of back up stories - sort of

felt like the avengers were guests in someone else's book in all honesty, I wasn't impressed by it, had it been a normal issue I would be okay, but for issue 700 I am utterly disappointed at how little the team actually achieved or really had an impact, it was set up and for me that was a waste of this landmark imo

back ups were ok, but for me they are an extra expenses bonus to just get me to pay more for a book, neither of those were desperate tells and could easily have been incorporated into the normal issues narrative

art was nice in the main story, it was nice to see the characters in the third act

middle act of no interest to me, but I'm sure some will like that, for me it felt like an insert of the thor book and I cant stand whats going on over there

namor and Andromeda were good, but I felt the rest of the deep sea cast were ridiculous, mostly liked the winter guard, though thor having trouble with ursa and the big crab without a single hit back was dissapointing

the tag on the cover said heroic but the team felt like a second rate sideshow between the guard and the deep sea teams

I was really disappointed for this as issue 700

BANNED

Oh my God, what an issue!!

It's so massive I wouldn't even attempt to summarize it.

So many surprise developments (a few truly gasp-worthy ones) - in the main story and in all the back-ups!

Aaron and co. just hit the gas hard on this book. Can't wait to see how everything continues to unfold!

I've got a stack of other issues waiting to be read but Avengers #700 was so damn huge I've got to let it digest before I move on to anything else.

Extraordinary Member

This issue was...damn. I loved the big fight and I loved seeing Odin try and bond with Robbie in a way that maybe he should try with his own kids. There's just so much here that I don't know what to say.

So is that Logan from 616/Prime or is he from another reality?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    This issue was...damn. I loved the big fight and I loved seeing Odin try and bond with Robbie in a way that maybe he should try with his own kids. There's just so much here that I don't know what to say.

I am assuming it wasn't him for now(or doppelganger from another reality) , cause's he said it himself he has learned this things eons from this current timeline .

Btw do u think that Starbrand's origin was retconned ? I mean Ex Nihilo started this the evolution of species , from Starbrand but now it is somehow connected to Ghost Rider . I am actually confused with that part right now .

Astonishing Member

strangely ice never felt odin had any problems bonding with his own family even loki, to me he generally went out of his way to be a solid father to all his people, not been the case since fear itself or thereabouts and in thor he's been written as a jerk for a long time now, but prior to that I felt he was generally a great father figure, even when he appeared harsh it was to help prepare his children for terrors they didn't yet know of

but hes been portrayed as a jerk for a good while now

BANNED

This issue was...damn. There's just so much here that I don't know what to say.
    Quoted for truth!

spoilers:
    He's Logan from our reality but far in the future. He's the Old Man Phoenix that we've seen in recent issues of Thor.

It's definitely an "a-ha!" moment to understand the connection between him and the Logan we saw in Marvel Legacy #1 and who's meant jaunting around the MU.

They're one and the same while the Logan that's currently in Return of Wolverine, the one that was removed from an adamantium shell, is the present day Logan.
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by biswaboxz View Post
    I am assuming it wasn't him for now(or doppelganger from another reality) , cause's he said it himself he has learned this things eons from this current timeline .

Btw do u think that Starbrand's origin was retconned ? I mean Ex Nihilo started this the evolution of species , from Starbrand but now it is somehow connected to Ghost Rider . I am actually confused with that part right now .
    I doubt it's an alternate Wolverine. Bringing Logan back would seem hollow if it wasn't the 616 version and all his appearances in the MU so far have portrayed him as this universes Logan.

There isn't a connection between Ghost Rider and Starbrand beyond previous versions of them were in Avengers BC and they did not get along.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    no nothing like that, which for me was telling coz it just felt like any other issue for me with a couple of back up stories - sort of

felt like the avengers were guests in someone else's book in all honesty, I wasn't impressed by it, had it been a normal issue I would be okay, but for issue 700 I am utterly disappointed at how little the team actually achieved or really had an impact, it was set up and for me that was a waste of this landmark imo

back ups were ok, but for me they are an extra expenses bonus to just get me to pay more for a book, neither of those were desperate tells and could easily have been incorporated into the normal issues narrative

art was nice in the main story, it was nice to see the characters in the third act

middle act of no interest to me, but I'm sure some will like that, for me it felt like an insert of the thor book and I cant stand whats going on over there

namor and Andromeda were good, but I felt the rest of the deep sea cast were ridiculous, mostly liked the winter guard,

the tag on the cover said heroic but the team felt like a second rate sideshow between the guard and the deep sea teams

I was really disappointed for this as issue 700
    same.

ffs I didn't know what was I reading LoL.

I was like What is even happening???

the only good thing was Captain Marvel and Thor talking.

though thor having trouble with ursa and the big crab without a single hit back was dissapointing
    nothing surprised me anymore.

I'm actually shocked that he even put up a fight against those scrubs.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    strangely ice never felt odin had any problems bonding with his own family even loki, to me he generally went out of his way to be a solid father to all his people, not been the case since fear itself or thereabouts and in thor he's been written as a jerk for a long time now, but prior to that I felt he was generally a great father figure, even when he appeared harsh it was to help prepare his children for terrors they didn't yet know of

but hes been portrayed as a jerk for a good while now
    you should check Thor #7 that came out.

Odin, best dad in history.

damn, this is so bad.

Extraordinary Member

Even going back to Odin's earliest appearances, he was a jerk. I mean, in one issue he tells Loki how he's just his second favorite son the entire issue.

BANNED

nice issue. it was full of action and some plot development. so something else is coming to the mu apart after the celestials. wonder if it could be a new cosmic entity who feasts on infinity gems or something who will be forgotten like Ulysses after the event. Aaron is completely in love with Phoenix as he keeps bringing back the bird in the most unlikely situations. the only historic avengers missing were the starbrand and agamotto. Thor needing help for setting up a date seems silly as he has had a superior complex going on for so long as compared to the rest of the avengers. guess he has lost his suaveness with the ladies when he became unworthy. At least the stingray isn't dead. the appearance of the you know who expy's makes it seem like Aarons taking a leaf out of kurts run where he had the avengers clashing with them soon after their return. wonder how Aaron will handle them. anyway a better issue than all the previous ones.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    I doubt it's an alternate Wolverine. Bringing Logan back would seem hollow if it wasn't the 616 version and all his appearances in the MU so far have portrayed him as this universes Logan.

There isn't a connection between Ghost Rider and Starbrand beyond previous versions of them were in Avengers BC and they did not get along.
    Well honestly as much i deep into all of this mess of Logan's return , i can't see much less complicated thing apart from Logan's doppelganger and i just making an assumption . Phoenix Wolverine said that he was he has learned this things for eons and he has not claws if i am not wrong. But it's a total guess for me that there are two Wolvie .

BANNED

Well honestly as much i deep into all of this mess of Logan's return , i can't see much less complicated thing apart from Logan's doppelganger and i just making an assumption . Phoenix Wolverine said that he was he has learned this things for eons and he has not claws if i am not wrong. But it's a total guess for me that there are two Wolvie .
    On the matter of Logan, it's pretty simple, as it turns out.

spoilers:
    The Wolverine that we see in this issue is from the future. He's been popping up in the current comics since Legacy, he is the Old Man Phoenix that has been featured in Thor, and is not the present-day Logan that we've seen in Return of Wolverine. Until this issue, people have assumed that there was only one Logan running around lately, which led to a lot of head scratching as to how that activity all lined up continuity-wise, but now we now it's both future Logan and his present self.
    end of spoilers

This issue was so much fun. Outside of the Loki part I really enjoyed everything
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

spoilers:
    Wasn't Starbrand supposed to be Ex Nihilo's avatar or in other words is it not wholly true that Ex Nihilo started the evolution of human species ,starting from Starbrand ? .

I think Aaron just retconned Starbrand's origin or am I missing something else ?
    end of spoilers
    Honestly, I think I need to read Jim Shooter's Starbrand to truly answer your question, but your takeaway wasn't my takeaway from Hickman's run.

Anyway, I liked this issue a lot. I was worried it wasn't worth the price, but they packed a lot in. I love the international feel.

This issue seemed to dial back on Namor just a touch. The fact that Stingray's not dead was a key change from last issue.

ETA: General Ross's Agent seems like he'll fill the role of Phil Vogt from Ultimates (another New Universe character), although the specific choice is certainly super surprising.
    Last edited by Mike_Murdock; 11-14-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?