Default A Pattern Emerging For New Costumes

Is it just me or has Marvel fallen into a certain pattern when introducing new costumes for new or established Marvel characters. A pattern that has most of the new costumes color scheme be predominantly black and red.

This can be seen happening with...

-Falcon

-Doctor Strange (the real one who went into space)

-Unstoppable Wasp

-Daredevil's black costume with red logo and boots, at the start of the "All-New All-Different" Marvel run of his series (Although I'm not sure it actually counts considering his original costume was all red to begin with.)

-And Wolverine's new costume will be this.

Am I noticing something that's not really there, or can anyone else name marvel characters who've had costume upgrades mostly made up of these two colors.

Don't get me wrong the new costumes look great and all. But some more color variation would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Grimm911; 11-09-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Janet's still supporting yellow&black. So they understandably went with the second most iconic Wasp costume colors for Nadia which is Janet's original red and black.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Janet's still supporting yellow&black. So they understandably went with the second most iconic Wasp costume colors for Nadia which is Janet's original red and black.
    Good catch! I didn't even think of that!

So maybe Nadia doesn't count...hmmm...?

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Sentry is red with black hair now too.
    Baby Thanos

Mighty Member

The predominance of black in costumes might have something to do with the X-Men Film Series, but I have no evidence to back my wild speculation up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    Is it just me or has Marvel fallen into a certain pattern when introducing new costumes for new or established Marvel characters. A pattern that has most of the new costumes color scheme be predominantly black and red.

-Falcon

-Unstoppable Wasp

-Daredevil's black costume with red logo and boots, at the start of the "All-New All-Different" Marvel run of his series (Although I'm not sure it actually counts considering his original costume was all red to begin with.)

Am I noticing something that's not really there, or can anyone else name marvel characters who've had costume upgrades mostly made up of these two colors.

Don't get me wrong the new costumes look great and all. But some more color variation would be much appreciated.
    Is the dr strange in avengers a fake?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post

-Falcon

-Unstoppable Wasp

If you wanna be technical, Daredevil's original costume was either the black prototype in Frank Miller's Man Without Fear retelling of DD's early years or the yellow-and-red suit he wore in the very first issues of his comic during the Silver Age, before switching to the all-red suit. Personally, I wouldn't mind him adopting something more like his Netflix series costume, or an improved take on his 90s black-and-red "armored" suit.

I'd also mention that Miles Morales's Spider-Man costume is black-and-red, and Otto Octavius's Superior Spider-Man suit is red-and-black, as is Kaine's Scarlet Spider suit. Even Peter Parker has worn a black-and-red (or red-and-black) suit a few times, and arguably his costume was initially conceived as being red-and-black. While black-and-red (or vice versa) might be the trend now, it does go back a fair ways in Marvel history.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The outfit for the Vox army is black and red with grey accents.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    The predominance of black in costumes might have something to do with the X-Men Film Series, but I have no evidence to back my wild speculation up.
    Falcon's is certainly because of the MCU movies, where he wore mostly black, not white like he did before he was Captain America in the comics.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Is the dr strange in avengers a fake?
    No, the switch appears to have happened shortly after the first arc of Avengers, and the Strange in Infinity Wars must be the real one too because he had the Time Gem, which he found in space.

But yeah, the does seem to be a lot of black and red floating around. Sometimes with gold accents. I don't think Marvel is intentionally doing it though, and if a character is particularly strongly associated with a different colour it will probably stay that way (I doubt we will see Doom abandon his green and silver, for instance)
    Last edited by Raye; 11-10-2018 at 05:09 AM.

Yeah, Doom didn't even change his colour scheme when he was Iron Man.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Falcon's is certainly because of the MCU movies, where he wore mostly black, not white like he did before he was Captain America in the comics.
    Falcon's Legacy costume is black because "blackish leathery material that absorbs light for white/grey highlights + extra colors" is Alex Ross' redesign bread and butter. It works well for him, though, because it is so perfectly an evolution of the classic suit while also being a sick contrast to both his and Steve's Cap suits.