Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Talking Happy 40th Anniversary BLACKSTAR!!!! 1981-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    "I...am John Blackstar!"

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Loved this show, Blackstar & Warlock looked epic, Warlock still stands as one of the greatest looking dragon designs, liked the premise, the broken sword, split with the Overlord, allies Enchantress Mara & shape-shifting Klone, everything,

...except the freakin Trobits made it near unwatchable.
    DISagree. They were great supporting characters. Just like Orko.
    One thing about Blackstar, that I and perhaps many others have always heard for years, I didn't want to mention until I had something close to a source. Well Lou Scheimer's words will have to do. Taken from Lou Scheimer: Creating the Filmation Generation:

"In our original model sheets, Blackstar was an African-American, but by the time we shopped it to the network with presentation art, we had decided to make him Caucasian-but-vaguely-Native-American instead. It wasn't motivated by racial prejudice; we had led the way in utilizing ethnic diversity in the industry since the 1960s. He wasn't the only one who went through skin color changes; the Trobbits went from blue to green to purple to bright orange before I picked the dark pink color that they were on the show."

So, after all these years...it is true, the only thing that was false was the belief the network made him change Blackstar from black to kinda-sorta-Native American.
    IMO it is to be established that John Blackstar and Marlena Glenn aka Queen Marlena are astronauts from the same Earth.

BANNED

The Filmation BLACKSTAR animated television series made it's debut 40 years ago 1981-2021.
    The Filmation He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
    animated series made it's debut 38 years ago 1983-2021.

NOT 40!

"I...am John Blackstar!"

I loved the show when it originally aired but when they put it out on DVD, wow did it not hold up.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Other than the bizarre (almost in reverse sounding) theme music,
    Fimation's Star Trek was essentially the 4th season of Star Trek The Original Series.
    With most actors back to reprise their roles (sadly missing Chekov) , and several of the never produced 4th season scripts, just re-purposed for the episodes. It really felt like a continuation of the show.

I've got the series on DVD but haven't yet gotten to watching it.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    My favorite Filmation cartoon was definitely The Adventures of Flash Gordon from 1979. They did an incredible job and stayed true to the story of Flash.

I liked this one. I even had the figure of the Lion guy too (forget the character's name.)

Wiki is saying he was actually replaced by Arex, not Chapel. It had been so long since I watched the show I forgot about him (Arex), I only remembered the catwoman (M'Ress) as the extra, animated-show-only character.

Sounds like budget was a problem, so they could only afford Nichols part time (hence M'Ress voiced by Majel Barrett being at Uhura's post when Uhura was absent) and couldn't afford Koenig at all, hence Arex (voiced by James Doohan). Then again there's this:

"Initially, Filmation was only going to use the voices of William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, Doohan and Barrett. Doohan and Barrett would also perform the voices of Sulu and Uhura. Nimoy refused to voice Spock in the series unless Nichelle Nichols and George Takei were added to the cast, claiming that Sulu and Uhura were proof of the ethnic diversity of the 23rd century and should not be recast. Nimoy also took this stand as a matter of principle, as he knew of the financial troubles many of his Star Trek co-stars were facing after cancellation of the series. According to Scheimer, when Nimoy pointed out that the casting would cut the only two minority actors from the series, "We were horrified at our unintended slight, made all the worse because we were the one studio who had been championing diversity in its output." Koenig was not forgotten, as Filmation were able to assuage Nimoy's complaints on his account by buying a script from Koenig for one episode ("The Infinite Vulcan")."

So the only reason we got Nichols and Takei is thanks to Nimoy standing up for them. Interesting. And at least Koenig got something.
    With M'Ress, didn't she get used in some prose novels a few years back?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    With M'Ress, didn't she get used in some prose novels a few years back?
    Google (memory-beta) says she was in THREE of Peter David's "New Frontier" novels, "Cold Wars", "Gods Above", and "Stone and Anvil".

Huh. I always said I was gonna read "New Frontier" but never got around to it.

Google (memory-beta) says she was in THREE of Peter David's "New Frontier" novels, "Cold Wars", "Gods Above", and "Stone and Anvil".

Huh. I always said I was gonna read "New Frontier" but never got around to it.
    I did read the New Frontier books. They were pretty darn good.

BANNED

Cool

Cringer Becomes Battlecat for The First Time!

It was SURPRISING to learn that Cringer became Battlecat for the first time AFTER
    Prince Adam had been operating as He-Man for some time already.

The 200x series revealed that Prince Adam AND Cringer became He-Man and Battlecat at the same time.

FILMATION He-Man and the Masters of the Universe never produced an episode
    which reveals WHEN Prince Adam became He-Man for the FIRST time.

I really-really-really wanna see Masters of the Universe: Revelation reveal WHEN Prince Adam became He-Man
    for the first time and WHY Cringer wasn't with Adam when the Sorceress summoned Adam to castle Grayskull.

BANNED

Teela finds out Sorceress is her mother...

BANNED

The season two He-Man episode "Teela's Triumph" is one of the series' best episodes,
    as it addresses the connection between Teela and the Sorceress
    stronger than any other episode since "Teela's Quest".
    The plot perfectly foreshadows Teela's destiny in becoming the Sorceress of Castle Grayskull,

and the final scene between mother and daughter is both beautiful and heartbreaking.

BANNED

At 1:19, Teela begins telling her mom Sorceress to f### off?
    And at 1:33 the middle finger to Teela's destiny of becoming the Sorceress of Castle Grayskull

At 1:55 foreshadowing the technological sword
    with which Prince Adam becomes He-Man?
    This technological sword is crafted by at 4:55 spoilers:
    Teela-At-Arms
    end of spoilers

BANNED

At 9:03 Prince Adam's technological sword!

BANNED

At 0:30 "Sequel to FILMATION cartoon--Spiritual Successor"

BANNED

MOTU Revelations Trailer 2: are these the He-Men of Legends from MOTU Classics?! He-Ro! Vikor!