Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackTerror View Post
    It does list artists for each episode and does go into a some—not great—detail about the other vehicles like the aquashuttle
    Was filmation using notes and visual concepts established ( but (maybe because of cost?) never produced) from TOS, or did they just make their own stuff up? Cause the design work, new ship concepts etc. what they came up with really seemed to fit the visual narrative of ST TOS.
    Not sure who designed ships?
    While other (more modern) shows, that are supposed to reflect the era, just seem to betray it.
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-17-2020 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Wiki is saying he was actually replaced by Arex, not Chapel. It had been so long since I watched the show I forgot about him (Arex), I only remembered the catwoman (M'Ress) as the extra, animated-show-only character.

Sounds like budget was a problem, so they could only afford Nichols part time (hence M'Ress voiced by Majel Barrett being at Uhura's post when Uhura was absent) and couldn't afford Koenig at all, hence Arex (voiced by James Doohan). Then again there's this:

"Initially, Filmation was only going to use the voices of William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, Doohan and Barrett. Doohan and Barrett would also perform the voices of Sulu and Uhura. Nimoy refused to voice Spock in the series unless Nichelle Nichols and George Takei were added to the cast, claiming that Sulu and Uhura were proof of the ethnic diversity of the 23rd century and should not be recast. Nimoy also took this stand as a matter of principle, as he knew of the financial troubles many of his Star Trek co-stars were facing after cancellation of the series. According to Scheimer, when Nimoy pointed out that the casting would cut the only two minority actors from the series, "We were horrified at our unintended slight, made all the worse because we were the one studio who had been championing diversity in its output." Koenig was not forgotten, as Filmation were able to assuage Nimoy's complaints on his account by buying a script from Koenig for one episode ("The Infinite Vulcan")."

So the only reason we got Nichols and Takei is thanks to Nimoy standing up for them. Interesting. And at least Koenig got something.
    Yeah thank Nimoy for pointing it out, and holding them to it, as Filmation readily acknowledges. and in the end were willing to pay extra, to make sure they were represented. Budget was a huge concern as American Sat Morn. TV Animation had tiny budgets, expected to produce a more realistic looking setting on the same cost as a Yogi Bear cartoon) and bring things in at minimum. Paying "known" actors was likely where most of the money in this production ended up going.
    Truth is that Filmation - " were the one studio who had been championing diversity in its output."

As CRL indicates

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

- They made a commitment to diversity way before it was the thing to do. They had the first African-American animated character in an ongoing series with Pete Jones from the 1969 Hardy Boys animated series. Of course, they are well-known for their long-running hit, Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids. Other diverse characters starred or co-starred in Superstretch and Microwoman (a segment of Tarzan and the Super 7), Space Sentinels, live action's Ark II, and others.]
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-18-2020 at 08:43 AM.

Intresting article here - http://www.danhausertrek.com/AnimatedSeries/Bgd.html

Apparently Filmation in pursuing the cartoon rights had pitched a "cadet" themed show, with apparently each lead character, having a young counterpart-

Yet Gene Roddenberry and D. C. Fontana wanted it for potential prime-time, and kept it just the adults.
    Which is why it really felt like a 4th season of Trek.

What might have been:

I do love the mustachioed Scotty.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Does the book list which episodes were re-purposed never used original series scripts?
    Answered....

This new Star Trek show had a lot going for it. Many of the original writers from the original series came back to write new episodes and sequels to their live action episodes. These included "More Tribbles, More Troubles" by David Gerrold which was a sequel to his "The Trouble With Tribbles" episode. Chuck Menville and Len Janson wrote "Once Upon a Planet", a sequel to "Shore Leave" written by Theodore Sturgeon. Stephan Kandel, author of two Harry Mudd episodes of the original series, returned to pen an animated Mudd tale, "Mudd's Passion". Even actor Walter Koenig, who had portrayed Ensign Pavel Chekov on the original series, wrote a script, "The Infinite Vulcan", which tied in to the original series episode "Space Seed." D. C. Fontana, who had written some of the most memorable episodes of the original Star Trek series, contributed a script which would be recognized as one of the best Trek stories written, "Yesteryear". Fontana selected writers that would be able to maintain the quality and consistency of the Star Trek concepts
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-25-2020 at 09:50 AM.

Too bad that Filmation never collaborated with Marvel on anything. Throughout the 70s there seemed to be ripe opportunities. Avengers (and all the solo icons); Defenders (including Dr. Strange); Heroes for Hire; updated Spider-Man show; X-Men; Oh well.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 02-22-2020 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Too bad that Filmation never collaborated with Marvel on anything. Throughout the 70s there seemed to be ripe opportunities.
    Don't know if Filmation would have been the best fit for Marvel, although I love much of their original output, their tendency to re-use stock motions, and voice actors, could have made Marvel come off a bit generic.
    I prefer that Marvel *tended to stick to it's own production.
    Although it's true because of that, there was a lack of Marvel Animation in the 70s. I think the only two went to joint Marvel / DePatie-Freleng Enterprises:
    DP-F Who famously gave us Thundarr.
    Hence the same narrator style in their Fantastic Four (the version that couldn't secure rights to Torch, so swapped him with Herbie LOL!) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7jG5CeMuvQ
    And they gave us Spider-Woman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xao_sF3aAo0 (Who was I believe created and launched hastily to ironically counter Filmation's own soon to be released Web-Woman)

*obviously not always.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-25-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Although it's true because of that, there was a lack of Marvel Animation in the 70s. I think the only two went to joint Marvel / DePatie-Freleng Enterprises:
    DP-F Who famously gave us Thundarr.
    Actually, Thundarr the Barbarian was not from DePatie-Freleng. It was from Ruby-Spears, formed by the creators of Scooby-Doo for Hanna-Barbera.

One Marvel property did go outside DePatie-Freleng in the 70s: the Thing cartoons for HB's Fred and Barney Meet the Thing.

Of course, De-Patie-Freleng was eventually sold to Cadence Industries, Marvel's owner, so the animation studio was renamed Marvel Productions, which produced lots of successful 80s cartoons like GI Joe and Transformers, etc.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 05-25-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Both Thundarr and Fangface were Ruby-Spears, not Hanna Barbera. http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post1416896

Although Warner Home Video / Warner Archive has the DVD distribution rights to Thundarr, which they release under their Hanna-Barbera label, so it could be a possibility.

And although they were Ruby-Spears, .... I'de be fine with them adding Thundarr to this universe. Apparently WB has acquired it too.
    Thundarr was a Ruby-Spears Productions not Hanna Barbera, still people love to include them with the Hanna Barbera created Adventure Heroes.

The great Kirby designed concept is just so much it's own thing , personally I'd rather see them stand out and exist in their own universe rather than lumped in a HB specific Adventure Universe, which really had it's house style.

It was created by Ruby-Spears, but currently owned by WB/DC:
    Thundarr the Barbarian .....

it's sad that Thundarr, Arial and Ookla and their great setting and concept were never given a series.
    Was hoping at the time Future Quest was being developed, they'd run a parallel launch for Ruby-Spears universe.
    For the record Thundarr wasn't Hanna Barbera, it was a Ruby-Spears Production.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Actually, Thundarr the Barbarian was not from DePatie-Freleng. It was from Ruby-Spears,....
    LOL embarrassing!) totally thought I knew that, even posted about it several times^.
    Then here mixed up DePatie-Freleng with Ruby-Spears.
    Although to my ear that DePatie-Freleng F4 opening narration does sound like the same narrator from Ruby-Spears Thundarr .
    Which was kind of the point.- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7jG5CeMuvQ

Filmations narrator tended to be this guy... I believe was actaully Lou Scheimer
    Who served as the narrator for the opening of the majority of Filmation shows.

Last edited by Güicho; 05-28-2020 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Too bad that Filmation never collaborated with Marvel on anything.....
    They did however after they picked up the King Feature Flash Gordon license, apparently do a similar pitch for the Phantom (this is before Marvel Productions/King Features Defenders of the Earth)

Filmation Phantom concept art

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZIO5b_WkAAewoJ?format=jpg&name=small[/IMG

(Shmoo'over

Imagine if the Tarzan - Lone Ranger - Zorro - Adventure Hour, had been followed by a King Feature Hour: Flash Gordon - Phantom - (then Mandrake & Lothar) block!
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-08-2020 at 07:27 AM.

(1978 Concept: what became Freedom Force.

Blackstar presentation art

Last edited by Güicho; 05-28-2020 at 07:24 AM.

Spectacular Member

Holy crap. Love that Blackstar art!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackTerror View Post
    Holy crap. Love that Blackstar art!!
    It is interesting the "Trobbits" are more grim trollish and blue. Not the happy pink abominations LOL!
    Also are both Klone and Mara female?
    And Warlock dosn't have wings yet.
    Honestly his final design is one of the greatest hero-steed / creatures ever designed.

----

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

Also filmation ghostbusters was the original and real ghostbusters was the rip-off! When I found those out I was shocked!

Yeah, I think it's hysterical and a bit sad, after Colombia (Ghostbusters movie)was rightfully forced to pay rights to Filmation for the use of name "Ghostbusters", that Lou Scheimer didn't also as part of the settlement secure the rights to produce the animated series now based on the popular film.
    Scheimer instead produced an animated show based on their own original (yet now more obscure) live-action series.

Prompting Colombia to then just slap the word "Real" Ghostbusters, on their own animated version. LOL!

Although to me the original Ghostbusters will always be ...
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-12-2022 at 01:49 PM.

Astonishing Member

Give me Filmation heroes over Hanna-Barbera heroes any day of the week! Without Filmation Superman and Batman, I don't know that I've have gotten into comics or drawing. I was also a fan of Archie, Sabrina and Star Trek.

That said, I do appreciate HB's Scooby-Doo and Josie and the Pussycats, but they were hardly heroes.

Was there ever an explanation as to why Supergirl didn't appear in the Filmation series? Batman used Batgirl, so until I saw a comic book with Supergirl -- I didn't think she existed.

Although to me the original Ghostbusters will always be ...
    And they did use the ghostbusters song it in a dtv special complete with donald saying "i aint afraid of no ghosts!"

Skip to 1:16.

Some secret of the sword ads and teaser poster.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Gaastra; 06-10-2020 at 07:15 PM.