Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Crazy thing is when I think of the Filmation cartoons, I remember the sound effects first. There was a ray gun sound that was used in just about every action cartoon. It’s burned into my head. I know it was used heavily in Flash Gordon.

The cartoons were always pretty solid quality. Smooth animation that was much better than what Hanna Barbara was doing. Catchy music. The two I remember the most are the Batman cartoon Tarzan. I looked at the intro to Tarzan on YouTube a few years ago I still think it’s really dramatic. I really loved that cartoon! The Batman cartoon was good but always frustrated me because it showed an oddly colored Riddler in the intro but he never appeared. I think he was on Superfriends at the time. Man that was a full day back then! Just a steady stream of cartoons all day. I know I watched others like Flash Gordon but I’d have to see them to jar my memory.

Just looked up the Super 7 and I remember that one. Was it a rotating situation where a different cartoon was shown each week? I remember all the series but don’t remember seeing much of any one show.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Other than the bizzare (almost in reverse sounding) theme music,
    Fimation's Star Trek was essentially the 4th season of Star Trek The Original Series.
    With most actors back to reprise their roles, and several of the 4th season scripts just being re-purposed for the episodes.

As a Trekkie, I really like this show. Shows its age in some ways, but a surprisingly good continuation of TOS.

(The 2012 TMNT actually homaged this show, with the Turtles sometimes watching a Star Trek parody cartoon that was a faithful recreation of the art style, limited animation, and camera work of TAS.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    As a Trekkie, I really like this show. Shows its age in some ways, but a surprisingly good continuation of TOS.
    Something else they added was an array of specificly designed Shuttle craft for different atmosphere that really stuck with the visual design language of the original show, yet felt all new.

This seems to be lost on the creators of some of these newer Trek series suposedly set near the same time period.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-02-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Well, 3 of the segments from Tarzan and the Super 7 likely will NEVER be released. Those include Superstretch & Microwoman, Manta & Moray, and Web Woman because DC apparently sued Filmation in 1978 because they felt that the characters of Superstretch, Manta, and Moray were too similar to DC characters and that Filmation created these characters so they wouldn't have to license, Aquaman, Mera, and Plastic Man from DC.

DC lawsuit involved 8 claims, which DC won on 7 of them. In 1980, this was reduced to 6 claims in DC's favor after Filmation tried to get the whole thing overturned. Originally, DC insisted that Filmation destroy all the cartoons, but the 1980 decision reversed that. However, even if the films still exist, I don't see them being released to home video because DC won the lawsuit and why would the current owners of Filmation's library (NBC Universal) want take a risk with a product with a legally troubled history?

Plus as a double wammy web woman was going to be called spider-woman. Marvel found out and wanted to own the name "spider-woman" so they made up a spider-woman really fast in the comics then rushed out a cartoon to get stop filmation from getting the name! Filmation changed it to web woman.

Damn didn't know it was that deep. Not that there weren't similarities but still. Kinda reminds me of how Hanna Barbera sued over Mighty Orbots claiming they were a rip -off of the go-Bots. amazing how they won that case when GB was a clear rip-off of Transformers lol.
    Are you ready for a shock. Gobots came before transformers! Transformers is the rip-off!

Also filmation ghostbusters was the original and real ghostbusters was the rip-off! When I found those out I was shocked!

Extraordinary Member

My favorite Filmation cartoon was definitely The Adventures of Flash Gordon from 1979. They did an incredible job and stayed true to the story of Flash.

The Tarzan, Lone Ranger, Zorro adventure hr.

And then rocket to space with Flash Gordon!

which followed on another channel if I remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    My favorite Filmation cartoon was definitely The Adventures of Flash Gordon from 1979. They did an incredible job and stayed true to the story of Flash.

Agree! Filmation's Flash Gordon series is terrific.

Maybe you've seen it, but you should watch the Animated made for TV movie that began it (even though it was broadcast after)-

Flash Gordon: The Greatest Adventure of All

A great take on Flash Gordon. And imho one of the best things Filmation produced.
    It was edited and expanded on to make what became several episodes of the weekly cartoon.
    With all the WWII setting, Hitler references, and any terrestrial looking weapons/ guns and some (slightly more) adult themes replaced or dropped.

It's also what inspired the later De Laurentiis film, (or there even may have been some mutual collaboration in production there, not sure of those details?)
    Yet while the De Laurentiis version is more known and celebrated, it played it camp, I prefer Filmation's which is a straight nod to the comic strips and serials, and more pulpy in visual and tone.

If you liked Filmation's serialized cartoon version, their original film is really worth a watch.

Also more recent, Dynamite and Alex Ross launched a Flash Gordon run which borrowed elements from both.
    As far as I know it only aired that one time in 82, and has never been oficially realeased.
    Although you can find it (or elements of it) in bootleg and online.

EDIT: Linked bellow in my next post.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-25-2020 at 09:53 AM.

Maybe you've seen it, but you should watch the Animated made for TV movie-

Flash Gordon: The Greatest Adventure of All
    Re:...

Also more recent, Dynamite and Alex Ross launched a Flash Gordon run which borrowed elements from both.
    and...

Last edited by Güicho; 01-26-2020 at 09:53 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Other than the bizarre (almost in reverse sounding) theme music,
    Fimation's Star Trek was essentially the 4th season of Star Trek The Original Series.
    With most actors back to reprise their roles (sadly missing Chekov) , and several of the never produced 4th season scripts, just re-purposed for the episodes. It really felt like a continuation of the show.
    You know, I've heard this series was very good - and I had the chance to purchase the dvd set of this. But I never forgave them for leaving off Chekov. He was one of my favorite characters and I couldn't believe they had Nurse Chapel instead of him.

Maybe you've seen it, but you should watch the Animated made for TV movie that began it (even though it was broadcast after)-
    Here in America it was a tv movie but was released on the big screen in the uk and most parts of the world!

As a oddity don't forget the groovie goolies (archie spin-off) and looney tunes crossover! It also had a live action part of the special!

Live action clip. The guys playing the monsters in this clip did live concerts as the goolies and the va's redubbed over them!

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    You know, I've heard this series was very good - and I had the chance to purchase the dvd set of this. But I never forgave them for leaving off Chekov. He was one of my favorite characters and I couldn't believe they had Nurse Chapel instead of him.
    Wiki is saying he was actually replaced by Arex, not Chapel. It had been so long since I watched the show I forgot about him (Arex), I only remembered the catwoman (M'Ress) as the extra, animated-show-only character.

Sounds like budget was a problem, so they could only afford Nichols part time (hence M'Ress voiced by Majel Barrett being at Uhura's post when Uhura was absent) and couldn't afford Koenig at all, hence Arex (voiced by James Doohan). Then again there's this:

"Initially, Filmation was only going to use the voices of William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, Doohan and Barrett. Doohan and Barrett would also perform the voices of Sulu and Uhura. Nimoy refused to voice Spock in the series unless Nichelle Nichols and George Takei were added to the cast, claiming that Sulu and Uhura were proof of the ethnic diversity of the 23rd century and should not be recast. Nimoy also took this stand as a matter of principle, as he knew of the financial troubles many of his Star Trek co-stars were facing after cancellation of the series. According to Scheimer, when Nimoy pointed out that the casting would cut the only two minority actors from the series, "We were horrified at our unintended slight, made all the worse because we were the one studio who had been championing diversity in its output." Koenig was not forgotten, as Filmation were able to assuage Nimoy's complaints on his account by buying a script from Koenig for one episode ("The Infinite Vulcan")."

So the only reason we got Nichols and Takei is thanks to Nimoy standing up for them. Interesting. And at least Koenig got something.

Spectacular Member

I just finished the official guide to Star Trek: TAS and it was excellent with a lot of indepth interviews and tidbits about every episode

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Off...s%2C156&sr=1-1

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackTerror View Post
    I just finished the official guide to Star Trek: TAS and it was excellent with a lot of indepth interviews and tidbits about every episode

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Off...s%2C156&sr=1-1
    Love some of their background art (does the book list the background artists?) , especially their design for Vulcan.

And some of the Shuttle concepts filling the Animated Series hanger, and alternate ship designs.

Does the book list which episodes were re-purposed never used original series scripts?
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-14-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Spectacular Member

Love some of their background art (does the book list the background artists?) , especially their design for Vulcan.

And some of the Shuttle concepts filling the Animated Series hanger, and alternate ship designs.

Does the book list which episodes were re-purposed never used original series scripts?
    It does list artists for each episode and does go into a some—not great—detail about the other vehicles like the aquashuttle