Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Boomerang has this on tv again!

Filmations version of tom and jerry!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    List of Filmation‘s shows for reference:

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (1983–1985)

Star Trek: The Animated Series (1973–1975)

She-Ra: Princess of Power (1985–1987)

The Original Ghostbusters (1986–1987)

BraveStarr (1987–1989)

Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids (1972–1985)

The Tom and Jerry Comedy Show (1980–1982)

Josie and the Pussycats (1970–1972)

The Batman/Superman Hour (1968–1969)

The New Adventures of Batman (1977–1978)

Flash Gordon (1979–1982)

The New Adventures of Superman (1966–1970)

Blackstar (1981–1982)
    The Tom and Jerry Comedy Show celebrates it's 40th anniversary in 2020?

BANNED

Happy 50th anniversary Josie and the Pussycats!!!! 1970-2020

8 Facts About The Josie And The Pussycats Cast

Astonishing Member

Wow! That makes me feel old -- as I watched the show from the first season. I always love the chase sequences set to music (something Scooby-Doo also did in its first season). And for the record, I always preferred Alexis to Josie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQZ7kZ_or0Q

Filmation on the big-screen. Posted secret of the sword trailer but here are a few more--

Snow white in the land of doom!

Journey back to oz. Not going to lie. Never liked how this one turned tinman and lion into cowards who abandon dorthey and refuse to help her!

Bravestarr the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    8 Facts About The Josie And The Pussycats Cast
    For the record:
    While Archie show was Filmation.
    Josie And The Pussycats was Hanna Barbera.
    They were even rivals for ratings.
    While they came from the same comics universe, they were licensed to different animation houses.
    The video you posted, (did you watch it?) mentions it several times.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I always love the chase sequences set to music (something Scooby-Doo also did in its first season).
    That's cause they were both Hanna Barbera, hence the similarity , not Filmation.
    However the mix up is understandable,
    In fact (again the vid above highlights this) Scooby Gang started as a band idea for HB to compete with Filmation's Archie, but evolved away from that.
    So instead Hanna Barbera picked up the Josie And The Pussycats license to also have their own show to fill that cartoon band niche.
    Honestly in the end I do feel HB was better at it, and (Sugar Sugar notwithstanding) J&tPC was more memorable and fun than Filmation's Archie.
    Still this is the Filmation appreciation thread, you got the wrong band LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-07-2020 at 06:03 PM.

I dug Journey to the center of the Earth.It was on UHF in the afternoons.70's TV was great.
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.

BANNED

New Masters of the Universe trailer

BANNED

Unlocking the potential of the Masters of the Universe brand.

DC Comics Historian

My grandfather was this man. Thank you for honoring him with such kind words.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0673903/

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I gotta say, that growing up in the 1970s, I was a huge fan of Filmation Studios animation and (some of) their live action stuff.

I much prefer their style over Hanna-Barbera's because even though both studios were working off the dollar-and-ninety-eight-cent budget that the networks gave them, Filmation's character designs and overall artwork was so much more realistic and meticulously detailed than Hanna-Barbera's.

Yes, Filmation used stock animation more than anyone this side of Grantray-Lawrence (of 1967 Spider-Man fame), but since their stock animation often used rotoscoping, the results were much more fluid than any of their competitors.

I also appreciate Filmation for the following reasons:
    - They kept their animation studio in America and did all their work here. No farming out to overseas until the late 1980s with Bravestarr, I believe.

- They made a commitment to diversity way before it was the thing to do. They had the first African-American animated character in an ongoing series with Pete Jones from the 1969 Hardy Boys animated series. Of course, they are well-known for their long-running hit, Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids. Other diverse characters starred or co-starred in Superstretch and Microwoman (a segment of Tarzan and the Super 7), Space Sentinels, live action's Ark II, and others.

- For DC Comics fans, Filmation was instrumental in getting DC characters into animation. Filmation's very first ongoing series was The New Adventures of Superman in 1966.

- Filmation did a lot of licensed properties, but they went the extra mile when they did animated adaptations of live action shows. They often hired the original actors to provide the voices like in Brady Kids, Star Trek, and Gilligan's Island. For Star Trek, they even hired some of the original writers!

- Also, Filmation was where Bruce Timm and Paul Dini got their start!

Share some of your favorite Filmation memories here. If you have some (constructive) critiques of Filmation, that's ok too.

For me, I'll start by sharing that I actually spoke to Lou Scheimer, the head of Filmation, over 20 years ago. I forget how, but somehow I was able to get his office phone number (or maybe I was connected by someone I was talking to). At the time, I was thinking of writing a book that would have involved Filmation's stuff. Anyway, I have to say that Lou Scheimer was just the nicest guy to talk to me when he had no idea who the hell I was. We must have spoken for at least 10 to 15 minutes, and during the call I pretty much had an out-of-body experience the entire time because I couldn't believe he was really talking to me and sharing his stories about Filmation. Andy Mangels, who DID write a book about Filmation, also has said nice things about Scheimer. I don't think I've really heard anyone say an unkind word about him--maybe Jackson Bostwick, but he was fired as Captain Marvel. That aside, I can tell you talking to him was such a positive experience for me. It was everything I could have hoped for because during the call, not only was he forthcoming with his stories, he never made me feel that I was taking too much of his time or tried to rush me off the phone.

Now, I'll share one of my favorite Filmation original series -- the animated Space Sentinels. This was a cool series of young superheroes who had their headquarters in an inactive volcano. Some enterprising person has actually posted the entire series on YouTube, so absolutely check it out if you've never heard of it. For me, I bought the DVD set when it came out over 10 years ago.

I'm just glad that so much of Filmation's programming has been released on DVD and other stuff has been uploaded to YouTube for new generations to discover.

Here's the Space Sentinels theme, followed by the link for the playlist of the complete series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...0CyqzoFnbKRP8u

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post
    My grandfather was this man. Thank you for honoring him with such kind words.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0673903/
    I see from the imdb page you posted that your grandfather, Curt Perkins, was a background artist for Filmation, Hanna-Barbera, and others.

I definitely appreciated the backgrounds of the Filmation shows. I always loved how much detail the backgrounds had. One of the cost-saving measures that Filmation and other animation studios used was the slow pan across the background. Filmation's backgrounds were actually worth looking at. You can even see it in the Space Sentinels still frame above. Wayne Manor, the Batcave, Tarzan's jungle, Fat Albert's junkyard, etc. were all memorable and added a lot to the shows.

Your grandfather and the other background, foreground, and character designers really did good work at Filmation.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 10-06-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I see from the imdb page you posted that your grandfather, Curt Perkins, was a background artist for Filmation, Hanna-Barbera, and others.

I definitely appreciated the backgrounds of the Filmation shows. I always loved how much detail the backgrounds had. One of the cost-saving measures that Filmation and other animation studios used was the slow pan across the background. Filmation's backgrounds were actually worth looking at. You can even see it in the Space Sentinels still frame above. Wayne Manor, the Batcave, Tarzan's jungle, Fat Albert's junkyard, etc. were all memorable and added a lot to the shows.

Your grandfather and the other background, foreground, and character designers really did good work at Filmation.
    Agree. Given the extreme cost limitations they really did incredible stuff. To the onetruebatman, your grandad helped provide me and many kids of the era a lot of great entertainment.