Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Default The most underrated X-men run?

What is the most underrated X-men run? and why?
    there are always discussions about the legacy of writers like Morrison or Claremont but what about other runs?
    what stories/writers do you feel were important and entertaining but don't get much credit?

For me it's Bendis work on the X-men. I'm not saying it is a master piece but it's better than anything after it (for the moment)
    He brought Jean back after it looked that she was going to be dead forever. All new X-men showed that she is better alive than as a tragic memory. I really enjoyed reading about her dealing with what happened in her "future".

He handled Cyclops very good too. He wrote him on a difficult time after having won and lost everything. He wrote him as a broken man that was still trying to do good.

I believe that for all his faults it was better than what we have had after him.

Edit: I'm not saying Bendis is in anyway comparable to Morrison or Claremont. I'm talking about underrated runs, not about the greatest. About runs you usually don't heard about but had an influence on the franchice.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 11-09-2018 at 03:40 PM.

That's a no from me on Bendis.

Claremont and Morrison are the obvious #1, and the distant #2 best. For the underrated gems, you'll have to look at the micro-runs.

-Wood's protomutant X-Men story of 8 issues was surprisingly refreshing in the Utopia era.

-Lobdell and Bachalo's 4 issue Generation Next from Age of Apocalypse was by far the best part of a vastly overrated x-over.

-Neal Adams and Roy Thomas's run finishes off the original run at basically its best, but it may still be a bit thin by modern tastes story-wise(the art holds up though).

That's about it for me.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Claremont's X-Treme X-Men.
    Milligan's X-Men
    Amazing X-Men
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Fantastic Member

I'll echo the no to Bendis, but that's just me.

I enjoyed Fractions run, and though way too short, Gillan's run right after that was great. I enjoy Hopeless's cable and xforce, not so much his blue.
    Really I think all modern xforce runs have been great, except Humphries.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

The Steven Seagle and Joe Kelly era gets better with age, although I didn't think much of it at the time.

Runner up would be Peter Milligan; love what he did with Havok & Polaris.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

phoenix resurrection
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    phoenix resurrection
    Phoenix Resurrection...? The god-awful mini series that wasn't worth the paper it was printed on? That Phoenix Resurrection??

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Steve Seagle and Joe Kelly's X-Men runs. Definitely underrated but wonderful.

Alan Davis’ Excalibur.

Warm and smart and fun.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think Scott Lobdell's contribution to the X-mythos gets mostly overlooked. The Age of Apocalypse always gets positive nods but Scott's X-work was much bigger than that. His Uncanny X-Men run with John Romita Jr and Joe Madureira is filled with many gems, which is impressive considering the impossible task of following Claremont's 17-year run, headlining the X-Men at the height of their popularity while working with a notoriously-overbearing editor.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Alan Davis’ Excalibur.

Warm and smart and fun.
    Agreed. X-comics don't get much better than Davis' solo run. Also, I always thought he was the only writer to ever capture the voice of Claremont's characters without having to ape his style. And the art was just amazing.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Alan Davis’ Excalibur.

Warm and smart and fun.
    One of my favorite X-Men runs. Lots of fun!

Mighty Member

Morrison really breathed new life into the X-Men franchise. We have mutant counterculture much like the hippies, a genius generation gap between X-Men and young mutants, some level of acceptance from the humans.

Unfortunately, it will forever be remembered as Emma doing really shady stuff as a "therapist," a sentient stack of bacteria being a villain, Xorneto, and a stupid storyline known as Here Comes Tomorrow.

I still think Si Spurs Legacy is underrated and largely ignored. It's a crime, I tell you...

I don't know if he's really underrated, but I feel like Lobdell's run gets a lot of criticism it doesn't deserve. I thought he had a very good grasp on most of the characters and was able to transition them in such a way from the Claremont era that made sense. The only exception to that was Rogue, I did feel her personality was changed and her dominate trait and storyline became her relationship with Gambit, who was not used long enough by Claremont to really get his personality nailed down. Yes, his run was more soap-opera than actual action at times, but I think he really nailed the family feeling that Claremont started.

Outright underrated runs? Steven Seagal (sp) and Joe Kelly's runs. I thought both books were great, the second X-book a little bit better than Uncanny, but they seemed like they were seeding in some great ideas and were setting up to play the long game. Though I enjoyed was came after tremendously, it's still a shame their runs were cut short.