Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    Also, I always thought he was the only writer to ever capture the voice of Claremont's characters without having to ape his style.
    That’s because Alan Davis is better than Chris Claremont. Controversial opinion, but it’s a hill I’ll comfortably die on.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    That’s because Alan Davis is better than Chris Claremont. Controversial opinion, but it’s a hill I’ll comfortably die on.
    Bold. Blasphemous, but bold.

Kelly/Seagle run. Seems to be well regarded by fans but editorial influence kept it from being truly great and its rarely mentioned as one of the iconic runs as a result when it definitely had potential to be

Alan Davis’ Excalibur.

Warm and smart and fun.
    Oh you meant Excalibur. Good thing I read the this to get the context of the later comments bc I thought you were referring to his X-men run in the late 90s which was hot garbage and did alot of damage to the line IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Kelly/Seagle run. Seems to be well regarded by fans but editorial influence kept it from being truly great and its rarely mentioned as one of the iconic runs as a result when it definitely had potential to be
    They wanted to kill Storm in that stupid Magneto war story. Editorial made them kill Joseph instead. Well done editorial!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Alan Davis’ Excalibur.

Warm and smart and fun.
    On the other hand...after Seagle and Kelly quit the X-Books at the end of 1998, Davis was chosen to fill in until Claremont's second chance. Other than Davis' writing on the Magneto War, I can't recall anything of consequence during the brief time he wrote the 2 main X-books.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Oh you meant Excalibur. Good thing I read the this to get the context of the later comments bc I thought you were referring to his X-men run in the late 90s which was hot garbage and did alot of damage to the line IMO
    Yeah the Twelve was indeed hot garbage. Derivative trash if you’d read Excalibur 50.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    They wanted to kill Storm in that stupid Magneto war story. Editorial made them kill Joseph instead. Well done editorial!
    She would have been brought back so it wouldn’t have been the end of the world. Their run had already gone downhill by then anyway. Editorial forcing them to drop 75% of their cast did that

Seagle and Kelly were gone after the beginning of the Magneto story. Most of the rest of the story was written by Alan Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Seagle and Kelly were gone after the beginning of the Magneto story. Most of the rest of the story was written by Alan Davis.
    It's history. That was their intention going in. Meanwhile Lord Davis had Storm best the Trion and restructure their entire dimension that was falling apart at the seams.

Alan Davis’ Excalibur.

Warm and smart and fun.
    I'm with you all the way on this one. Alan Davis' Excalibur is on my list of all-time favorite X-titles along with Peter David's first run on X-Factor, which could also be considered an underrated X-Men run. I assume David's first run has now been eclipsed by his second run on X-Factor.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I'm with you all the way on this one. Alan Davis' Excalibur is on my list of all-time favorite X-titles along with Peter David's first run on X-Factor, which could also be considered an underrated X-Men run. I assume David's first run has now been eclipsed by his second run on X-Factor.
    Davis's Excalibur may indeed be an underrated gem, but I draw the line at Peter David's X-Factor. Past and present. I read his old run recently and was completely flabbergasted as to why so many people talk it up. Maybe that Doc Sampson issue was okay(and in his modern run, that beer spit gag scene between Madrox and Rictor), but other than that, complete waste of time. I will say J.M. DeMatteis's Haven is an underrated gem, though. I'd love to see her brought back. Now that was a fascinating and underutilized character!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Phoenix Resurrection...? The god-awful mini series that wasn't worth the paper it was printed on? That Phoenix Resurrection??

I second this.

Davis's Excalibur may indeed be an underrated gem, but I draw the line at Peter David's X-Factor. Past and present. I read his old run recently and was completely flabbergasted as to why so many people talk it up. Maybe that Doc Sampson issue was okay(and in his modern run, that beer spit gag scene between Madrox and Rictor), but other than that, complete waste of time. I will say J.M. DeMatteis's Haven is an underrated gem, though. I'd love to see her brought back. Now that was a fascinating and underutilized character!
    Thanks for the critique. I haven't had the chance to read Peter David's second run on X-Factor. But if you say I should stay away, then I'll follow your advice and avoid it.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 11-10-2018 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Made a correction.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Thanks for the critique. I haven't had the chance to read Peter David's second run on X-Factor. But if you say I should stay away, then I'll follow your advice and avoid it.
    To each their own. Some people love it. Personally I didn't.