Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

X-Factor by Louise Simonson.

I actually like Davis on Excalibur better than Claremont.
    PAD's first X-factor.
    Joe Casey's Uncanny was also pretty good, IMO. Overall, I really lived the whole franchise during Morrison's days.

One run I'm surprised nobody mentioned yet is Winnick's Exiles. It was just tons of fun and a great homage to all things X-men. The current run is cool, but they haven't quite recaptured the same magic and sense of high stakes.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I have a soft spot for X-Terminators miniseries. I think it's Weezie Simonson's best work, and Bogdanove is as splendid as usual (even inked by Milgrom).

I also love Davis' Excalibur, PAD's X-Factor, Windsor-Smith' X-Weapon, Milligan's X-Statix... But I think they're not so underrated, thus many people like them.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Brian K. Vaughan's run on Ultimate X-Men is the first that comes to mind. Hell, there are so many great runs during that book, and its sequel series. Brian Wood's Ultimate Comics: X-Men was fantastic, as was Millar, and Bendis' runs. As a whole it was without a doubt the best X-Men book of the early 2000s.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 11-10-2018 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Brian K. Vaughan's run on Ultimate X-Men is the first that comes to mind. Hell, there are so many great runs during that book, and its sequel series. Brian Wood's Ultimate Comics: X-Men was fantastic, as was Millar, and Bendis' runs. As a whole it was without a doubt the best X-Men book of the early 2000s.
    Vaughan was the best writer on Ultimate X-men and that run made me want him to take over for a flagship 616 title, but that never happened

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Vaughan was the best writer on Ultimate X-men and that run made me want him to take over for a flagship 616 title, but that never happened
    For as much praise he gets for his other work, UXM is without a doubt his best traditional superhero run. It'd be nice to see him write another X-Men run of some kind, but that isn't likely to happen. At least bring Syndicate into the Mainstream universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    I have a soft spot for X-Terminators miniseries. I think it's Weezie Simonson's best work, and Bogdanove is as splendid as usual (even inked by Milgrom).

I forgot about this one. Absolutely Weezie's best work, far exceeding any of her work on NM or X-Factor. Taki brokering a deal for organic snacks with a demons delighted me to no end!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Millar's Ultimates was wayyyy better than his X-Men, but it had great art and was kinda cool( I liked his Illuminati Hellfire Club take on the dark Phoenix, even if it did fizzle out completely in the end, and his Proteus/Legion condensation was actually very effective). I actually didn't care much for Vaughan's or Bendis's runs. Kirkman's was actually pretty cool, I thought. Wood's run was certainly.... interesting. I wanted to like Ultimate X-Men a lot more than I did though. Very uneven. And certainly not the best of that age(New and X-Treme take it easily).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Brian K. Vaughan's run on Ultimate X-Men is the first that comes to mind.
    This, absolutely! I loved it!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I actually like Davis on Excalibur better than Claremont.
    PAD's first X-factor.
    Joe Casey's Uncanny was also pretty good, IMO. Overall, I really lived the whole franchise during Morrison's days.

One run I'm surprised nobody mentioned yet is Winnick's Exiles. It was just tons of fun and a great homage to all things X-men. The current run is cool, but they haven't quite recaptured the same magic and sense of high stakes.
    Seconded. Winick's Exiles was an absolute delight, with a great premise and wonderful character work. I also loved his Outsiders with Tom Raney way back then, and was very keen on getting Judd on one of the main X-Men books. Too bad that never happened and that he doesn't work in comics much anymore.

Davis on Excalibur.
    Liu on Astonishing.
    Rucka on the Cyclops solo.
    BKV's Icons: Chamber mini. I'm stunned Marvel hasn't reprinted that yet.

I always had a soft spot for the Seagle/Kelly era. Reading both titles, I felt like Kelly's run was the stronger one of the two. I just wished the X-Office had run smoothly in terms of continuity and picking out the new creative teams right off the bat. I know in Uncanny X-Men # 353, Marrow was there and that was an error. So hence why I wished their was a timeline established.

The dropped subplots Seagle had Uncanny X-Men, such as Jean Grey becoming the Phoenix, someone from the board of education to come over the X-Mansion to see how things were ran, and Dr. Agee's endgame.

For Joe Kelly, I wanted to see what Sebastian Shaw's dealings were for the entity, Dark Beast's agenda for Marrow, and see the true story of the Psi-War. Those were stories that I wished to have been explored.

Plus I was aware that Seagle and Kelly wanted to kill off Storm. I would say bring her back under a new creative team. Besides, death is like a revolving door sometimes.

Extraordinary Member

I'm going to take 'underrated' as 'gets too much hate.'

For Bendis I think his run does not deserve the hate it gets. It wasn't great, but it had its cool moments and was always at least a fun read.

The Lobdell run doesn't deserve any hate, but it was a 'safe' run that basically kept the franchise in a holding pattern for years, so it's very unmemorable compared Claremont and Morrison.

Lobdell and Generation Next was something I still care about and continues to be a strongly told story
    Last edited by blinkingblah; 11-10-2018 at 05:02 PM.

BANNED

Is Lobdell considered "underrated"?

I liked it. Mostly because it's the era when I got into comics.

His Generation X was especially good.