Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bunn. While his Magneto gets the praise it deserves, his Blue work would probably get much more praise if editorial wasn't both horribly derailing his current plans and passing up on his amazing future ones. Thankfully, he's out of the X-Office and with sensible folks.

His evil twin Hopeless also goes kinda unacknowledged for being one of the best teen writers in the business. He should really get the very long run he deserves with some young characters, but I guess he's off X-Books too?

Also, Jason Aaron. Don't have to explain how good he is. Almost made us remember that the X-Men are about a school. And that schools are about kids. Wish that had stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    editorial wasn't both horribly derailing his current plans and passing up on his amazing future ones.
    Do tell... Lobdell was writing half the books when I first gave up collecting.

Fantastic Member

Warren Ellis' run on Excalibur

Alan Davis' Excalibur and Liu's Astonishing

The main run of X-Men Blue was about setting up one huge story about Project Mothervine, but then editorial abruptly decided for some reason (not the first somewhat random crossover story from Panic-era X-editorial) that X-Men Blue had to crossover with Venom to lead into Venomized, the sequel to Bunn's Venomverse. Because of the way the schedules worked, the X-Men were with Venom in Venomized while the climax of the Mothervine story started in Blue. Mothervine could not be delayed because Bunn had plans for the remaining issues of Blue he had left. Therefore the story, which was the culmination of the entire book's run, had to be focused on a new team of characters formed by Polaris while Venomized just became an X-Men story with Venom himself being sidelined. Also, Bunn had a pitch for Blue to lead into a new Exiles series about the O5 kids. It's a very logical idea and the time-travel Blue arc was an effective proof of concept for how a book like that would work and how good a more fleshed out version could be, but editorial passed on it for Extermination, which seems to just be getting rid of the characters to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Brian K. Vaughan's run on Ultimate X-Men is the first that comes to mind. Hell, there are so many great runs during that book, and its sequel series. Brian Wood's Ultimate Comics: X-Men was fantastic, as was Millar, and Bendis' runs. As a whole it was without a doubt the best X-Men book of the early 2000s.
    Totally agree. Glad to know I'm not the only one who enjoyed Brian Wood's Ultimate Comics: X-Men.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 11-13-2018 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Made a correction.

Since folks are stepping outside of a main "X-Men" run, it's easily the Ellis plotted/Steven Grant written X-Man run. It's probably the best run of a "X" title that will ever happen.

Remender’s Uncanny X-Force was the last really great X-run in my opinion.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

IDK if it's "underrated" but mostly just a bit forgotten in comparision to his pre-Messiah Complex work - the Xavier issues of Carey's X-Men Legacy are one of the best contemporary X-Men stories, and really essential reading even if you're not exactly a Prof X fan like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    Remender’s Uncanny X-Force was the last really great X-run in my opinion.
    I would've listed that one too, but I don't see it as underrated. It got TONS of attention, though it started out as a blip on the radar, I guess. It was an example of a title growing by word of mouth.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cerridwen View Post
    Warren Ellis' run on Excalibur
    Oh yes. Excellent run from start to finish... And basically the only good Excalibur besides Claremont's and Davis'.

Kieran Gillens SWORD and Uncanny X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Bunn. While his Magneto gets the praise it deserves, his Blue work would probably get much more praise if editorial wasn't both horribly derailing his current plans and passing up on his amazing future ones. Thankfully, he's out of the X-Office and with sensible folks.

His evil twin Hopeless also goes kinda unacknowledged for being one of the best teen writers in the business. He should really get the very long run he deserves with some young characters, but I guess he's off X-Books too?

Also, Jason Aaron. Don't have to explain how good he is. Almost made us remember that the X-Men are about a school. And that schools are about kids. Wish that had stuck.
    You mean the run with some amazingly innovative creations such as Eye Boy, Snot and Shark Girl? IMO his run was horribly juvenile, both in stories and characters. I agree maybe the entire general idea might have been good but the actual series was (IMO) crap. Though of course, YMMV.

Extraordinary Member

I'll say Jeff Parker's X-Men: First Class, which is probably the best comic about the original X-Men and just a really charming comic that was playful without being too silly, treated the characters respectfully (including characters like the Scarlet Witch who were not being treated respectfully in the mainstream comics at the time) and just made me happy to read.

The whole "First Class" line was fun, including the short-lived Uncanny X-Men: First Class that told stories about the 1970s cast in the style of a 1970s comic (i.e. completely bonkers). But Parker really deserved the promotion to A-list writer that somehow he never got.

Millar's run on Ultimate X-Men. It was damn near perfect as far as I'm concerned. I also agree that BKV and Bendis had great runs on Ultimate X-Men as well as Brian Wood. I do have to say that I think Wood's run should exist in it's own little bubble because it contradicted a lot of prior development from Ultimate X-Men, but it was still so good.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.