Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Yeah but, original The New Mutants Graphic Novel, 1-54.
    thats definitely not underrated. I would say Simonson's run that followed however was. There's some questionable stuff there like the year long Asgard adventure, but its not nearly as bad as some fans proclaim it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    thats definitely not underrated. I would say Simonson's run that followed however was. There's some questionable stuff there like the year long Asgard adventure, but its not nearly as bad as some fans proclaim it to be.
    I don't see people talking about the original NM run nearly enough. And as for Weezie's run; I am sorry, but no. Her X-Terminators was delightful, but she ruined NM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I don't see people talking about the original NM run nearly enough. And as for Weezie's run; I am sorry, but no. Her X-Terminators was delightful, but she ruined NM.
    and this post is why I think her run is underrated

BANNED

All-New Doop Vol. 1

/thread

Astonishing Member

Two titles that aren't usually mentioned in the great X-Men/Mutant runs but that I enjoyed are:
    Mutant X an alt universe ongoing that I didn't want to end, though they always due. It resisted the urge from doing the obvious, good writing, great art.
    X-Man an Alt universe character that came to the 616, I enjoyed this title more than I ever thought I would.
    I would add Peter David's original X-Factor run (the government run Val Cooper era) but I think it is held in pretty high regard already.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Two titles that aren't usually mentioned in the great X-Men/Mutant runs but that I enjoyed are:
    Mutant X an alt universe ongoing that I didn't want to end, though they always due. It resisted the urge from doing the obvious, good writing, great art.
    I think the first 13 issues of Mutant X were pretty great. After that it was diminishing returns, but Bloodstorm was the best thing in that universe, no doubt. The modern one was a complete disservice to the character.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Si Spurrier's X-Men Legacy.
    This and his X-Force run. The ending for Legacy was beautifully crafted and it was nice seeing Legion be somewhat middle ground with the seperate X-Schools.
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelSliver View Post
    Bunn's X-Men Blue and Uncanny. Like another member said, it was derailed by changes in editors and changes in status quo.
    Fabien's monthly Gambit. The members of this who have read it mostly enjoy it, but it seems to fly under the radar for non-Gambit fans.
    Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix.
    Dennis Hopeless' Jean Grey monthly.
    I remember Nicieza's run on Gambit, and I enjoyed it. Wasn't too crazy about his X-Men run, but I enjoyed almost everything else he's written.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 11-14-2018 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Quote Originally Posted by gotunandan View Post
    New mutants volume 2, followed by the first 15 or 16 issues of new X-Men academy X before it was derailed by house of M.

Although the new X-Men that followed was pretty good as well, if you could get past the deaths in the initial few issues.

Kyle and Yost's X-Force was enjoyable too.
    I love New Mutants - Volume 2 (mostly because of the artwork and, especially, Sofia Mantega).

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Liefeld's X-Force
    X-Men 92
    Ultimate X-Men (far from perfect but I think people focus on the negative a lot)
    The Noir AU

And there are a lot of character-centric minis that kind of flew under the radar or got forgotten (I'm thinking about the minis for Mystique, Storm, Gambit, Jubilee, the Havok & Wolverine mini from the 80s, etc).
    I remember enjoying Havok & Wolverine: Meltdown, mostly for the painted artwork. I thought the technique the two painters employed was interesting: each painting one character (Jon J. Muth on Havok, Kent Williams on Wolverine) even on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Is Lobdell considered "underrated"?

I liked it. Mostly because it's the era when I got into comics.

His Generation X was especially good.
    Agreed. My favorite issues were the ones with Howard the Duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    I don't know if he's really underrated, but I feel like Lobdell's run gets a lot of criticism it doesn't deserve. I thought he had a very good grasp on most of the characters and was able to transition them in such a way from the Claremont era that made sense. The only exception to that was Rogue, I did feel her personality was changed and her dominate trait and storyline became her relationship with Gambit, who was not used long enough by Claremont to really get his personality nailed down. Yes, his run was more soap-opera than actual action at times, but I think he really nailed the family feeling that Claremont started.

Outright underrated runs? Steven Seagal (sp) and Joe Kelly's runs. I thought both books were great, the second X-book a little bit better than Uncanny, but they seemed like they were seeding in some great ideas and were setting up to play the long game. Though I enjoyed was came after tremendously, it's still a shame their runs were cut short.
    Agreed. Lobdell did fine with character interactions, but his soap-opera was a bit much. Although, I have to say that I very much prefer Lobdell's output before he became the hotshot X-Men writer.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I don't see people talking about the original NM run nearly enough.
    However, it is probably my favorite X-run ever among the full franchise.

It's true that their thread is sort of quiet lately, but I'm sure we X-Babies' fans are legion.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Yeah but, original The New Mutants Graphic Novel, 1-54.
    Maybe the Graphic Novel by itself is under-rated but fans of the OG NM characters always go back to Volume 1.