Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Julius Schwartz was the primary Superman editor from 1971 to 1985; however, he didn't edit all of the family and he seemed to stay away from Superboy up until 1978 when Superboy joined SUPERMAN FAMILY as a feature and after that when Schwartz was the editor of THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERBOY (1980 - 1984). Murray Boltinoff was the editor of SUPERBOY when the Legion made their comeback (circa 1973), first with Dave Cockrum and then with Mike Grell.

With time travel, it was easily possible for Superboy to have all the adventures with the LSH and it not seem like any time has passed for him in the 20th century. But wouldn't it be interesting if the order in which the Legion had their adventures was not the order in which Superboy experienced them? Like, suppose that the Grell Superboy & the Legion stories took place in his senior year of high school, but the Levitz stories took place in Superboy's junior year.
    Yes, although it would be weird. Why would Superboy purposefully cross his own timeline?

I always thought one of the strange conceits was that Superboy always travelled the same amount of time forward to meet the Legion. That if he had an adventure on November 1st with the Legion and went back to Smallville for a week he'd return to the future on November 8th. That way he never would have something where he arrived on the same day (say Nov 6th) from two different points in the past. And also so that Superboy didn't run the risk of congratulating Bouncing Boy on his wedding prior to the engagement. So if he visited the team last in 2982 he would never attempt to arrive earlier than the next day in 2982.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I always thought Clark spending some time in the future was a great way for him to hone his abilities as well as have his adventures as Superboy, but I do like the idea of him having some adventures around Smallville as well. I think the latter would only work in a world where he's not the first superhero, though. When predated by the JSA, the entire world wouldn't flock to Kansas to see the boy who flies. He'd be something people are keenly interested in, but the cat was already out of the bag with The Flash, Green Lantern and flippin' Spectre just years before. A boy who stays out of clear photography and helps people out of jams in Smallville wouldn't draw as much attention in that world as he would had he been the first superhero.

Then again, that probably undermines Batman's reign so Superboy's out. Such is the luck of the draw at DC of late.

Unfortunately, so much about cape comics (and Superman in general) is a hard sell if someone wants to drag their feet and not suspend disbelief. The secret ID, dual identity and his child adventures are examples of that. I've always thought a nod was enough, something akin to an impromptu meeting at the Planet when he first arrives in Metropolis. Perry would demand everyone hit the street to get the scoop on the man who flies, asking them to "find out where he's from, why he's here--" and have someone, probably Jimmy or Lois, chime in with a touch of smarm "why does he wear his underwear on the outside" to be told to can it and get to work. That's always been enough for me.

Fans who are going to let the reality of superhero comics inhibit their enjoyment are, frankly, never going to last. You gotta all-in or back out in this gambit because we've got evil suns, sentient streets and reboots (hell, now semi-retroboots) aplenty.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I really hate the idea of Clark ever being called SUPERBOY.