Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Barbara in DKR

  1. #1
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,606

    Default Barbara in DKR

    Note I've only watched the animated movie for Dark Knight Returns and read Strikes Again (once, a few years back[I suppose technically Year One and that Spawn crossover count and I have them so...]), so I'm iffy on the rest of the DKR-verse (Master Race, The Last Crusade) or whatever it's called, but does Frank Miller ever explain what happened to Barbara Gordon? I know Jason Todd died (in some version of A Death in the Family I guess) and that's what caused Bruce to retire, but no clue if the events of The Killing Joke happened or not. Is Babs paralyzed, dead, retired, heroing somewhere else, or just non-existant?

  2. #2
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Note I've only watched the animated movie for Dark Knight Returns and read Strikes Again (once, a few years back[I suppose technically Year One and that Spawn crossover count and I have them so...]), so I'm iffy on the rest of the DKR-verse (Master Race, The Last Crusade) or whatever it's called, but does Frank Miller ever explain what happened to Barbara Gordon? I know Jason Todd died (in some version of A Death in the Family I guess) and that's what caused Bruce to retire, but no clue if the events of The Killing Joke happened or not. Is Babs paralyzed, dead, retired, heroing somewhere else, or just non-existant?
    As I understand it, All Star Batman and Robin is the Year One/beginning of that universe. Which means that she went out as Batgirl, got the snot beat out of her, was caught by her father, and never developed her career as a crime fighter and eventual law enforcement official.

    It was pretty terrible and successfully made The Killing Joke's treatment of Barbara less problematic in comparison.

    I haven't read the Master Race since the original DKR and All Star were so rampantly awful towards everyone who wasn't an OC or Miller's self insert characters, so I don't know if her mistreatment was rectified in that or not.

  3. #3
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    As I understand it, All Star Batman and Robin is the Year One/beginning of that universe. Which means that she went out as Batgirl, got the snot beat out of her, was caught by her father, and never developed her career as a crime fighter and eventual law enforcement official.

    It was pretty terrible and successfully made The Killing Joke's treatment of Barbara less problematic in comparison.

    I haven't read the Master Race since the original DKR and All Star were so rampantly awful towards everyone who wasn't an OC or Miller's self insert characters, so I don't know if her mistreatment was rectified in that or not.
    Damn, I don't even remember that part of ASBAR (hey, another part of the DKR-verse I read). Was the getting the snot beat out of her part of that issue that wasn't collected in/came after the trade, or am I really just forgetting that part entirely? Gonna have to go back and give it a looksee I guess.

  4. #4
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,606

    Default

    Okay, so I just looked it up, and apparently that happened in issue #10 where my collection only went up to #9, hence why I missed it (probably for the best). I'm actually one of those oddballs who -liked- ASBAR as a fun over the top wtf sort of thing, but this is just kind of disappointing, and unless they ever actually continue the storyline, I don't think I'm going to track this one down. Thanks for the answer to that though! Miller definitely seems to poo poo on the Batfamily in his series.

  5. #5
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Okay, so I just looked it up, and apparently that happened in issue #10 where my collection only went up to #9, hence why I missed it (probably for the best). I'm actually one of those oddballs who -liked- ASBAR as a fun over the top wtf sort of thing, but this is just kind of disappointing, and unless they ever actually continue the storyline, I don't think I'm going to track this one down. Thanks for the answer to that though! Miller definitely seems to poo poo on the Batfamily in his series.
    ASBAR is so incredibly over the top WTF that it's impossible to not like. It's a bit like "Meet the Feebles" that way. It also does shred all of the conceits of Batman which is why we don't see Tim at all and the Barbara Gordon thing happened.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •