Amazing Member

Default New 52 Reading Order?

I have a general idea of a few of the New 52 Titles and their order. For instance I know that Action Comics' first 18 issues and JL 1-6 take place in a "Five Years Ago" continuity. I'm also aware that much of the Det. Comics first issues take place some time before the Batman.

But can anyone give me a good idea of which volumes would be best read in which order? For instance, when should I start reading Phantom Stranger or Constantine, in relation to JL Dark or other mainstream comics like Aquaman and Flash?

Thanks for any help the folks here can provide.

All-New Member

Me am think you should read them backwards, starting with the end. Hope this doesn't help!

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

What books are you looking to read? Generally, all books are in the now. Meaning, if you read a book in May it's in the current month with all of the other DC books that month - unless there is a time box that tells you how long ago it was. All series have had some flashbacks that say how many years ago something happened, but as far as I'm aware the Morrison run on Action, Batman Zero Year and the first arc of JL are the main story arcs that happened in the past (also there are the #0 issues of each title that show the characters origin and are usually 5-7 years ago). As a point of reference - Forever Evil takes place in the 8th year of DC New 52 continuity, Batman and Superman showed up first in the Zero Year (late 2005) and the JL formed about a year later
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 05-02-2014 at 08:47 PM.

Amazing Member

I'm actually starting on collected editions, Luthor. I'm enjoying the mainstream stuff - JL, Batman, Aquaman, WW, GL, etc. I also like some of the darker stuff like JL Dark, Constantine, Frankenstine and I, Vampire. Phantom Stranger also looks interesting as well. I'm more concerned about which start-up things I should read first. For instance, JL Vol. 2 makes reference to a lot of things that I'm assuming happened in Character books - such as WW breaking up with Col. Trevor, or Flash getting his city to trust him. And I am trying to get a sense of with the over-all books, which are best to read first, what is the best order to read them in until I get caught up to, let's say Trinity War?

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mysterygeekboi View Post
    I'm actually starting on collected editions, Luthor. I'm enjoying the mainstream stuff - JL, Batman, Aquaman, WW, GL, etc. I also like some of the darker stuff like JL Dark, Constantine, Frankenstine and I, Vampire. Phantom Stranger also looks interesting as well. I'm more concerned about which start-up things I should read first. For instance, JL Vol. 2 makes reference to a lot of things that I'm assuming happened in Character books - such as WW breaking up with Col. Trevor, or Flash getting his city to trust him. And I am trying to get a sense of with the over-all books, which are best to read first, what is the best order to read them in until I get caught up to, let's say Trinity War?
    Ok, then any book that is currently on #31 in May you should read their trade #1s first. So, Flash trade #1, WW trade #1, Aquaman trade #1 and so on. Anything that starts after the original titles will slot in at the appropriate time by what issue they are on. So, Constantine #1 came out when the original titles were on #17-18 so basically right after trade #3 on most titles. The only titles not that way are Action, Batman and JL. I would recommend reading Action trade 1 and JL trade 1 first (and the Batman Zero Year when it comes out).

So...

Action #1
    Batman #4, 5 and 6 (when they come out)
    JL #1

Then..

All of the original titles (Aquaman, Flash, Green Arrow, GL, WW, Superman, Detective, JLD) #1
    All of the original titles #2

And then...

Just slot titles in by when they came out
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 05-02-2014 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Action #1
    Batman #4 and 5
    JL #1
    Fixed that for you. Dark City and Wild City will be combined into Volume 5.